RWD Cadillac Flagship Back On Track, Plus Two New Buicks Approved

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had better start getting used to the Monte's overhang that you could park a plane off of ...

When I think of RWD proportions, I think of this:

pontiac-g8-gt-profile.jpg

Short front overhang and long rear overhang.

scruffy_futurama.jpg

EDIT: Don't forget the well balanced, dash-to-axle length.

Edited by YellowJacket894

You had better get updated as they have been replacing poor tires like the RSA and others with new updated tires. Most of their new tires like the Assurance line have been award winners and are now a top selling tire.

In the past I would agree with you but today since they got shead of their old CEO Gibara the new CEO Keegan has invested heavy in new improved product.

They are about 2/3 of the way to replacing the old tires with the new and better lines.

Note the new Eagle GT is a very different and good tire for its price range today.

I have worked for all the companies and they all have their good and bad. Even Michelin and BFG.

One underrated tire on the market is the Toyo. It for the money will top most other brands.

The Eagle RSAs i had on my SHO were ok. they were decent. kinda loud, but got 60k + out of them and they were ok in snow.

Replaced them with Conti Pro COntacts, a tire that is not well known, but affordable and a very good tire and quite good in snow for a speed rated tire.

I had eagle aquatreds on my first SHO, trememdous sticking power and soft and quiet (quietest tire i ever had) but only lasted about 25k miles.

Tires do make a big diff. I had a Diamante with some crappy base yokohamas. Traded it for one a year later with different tires and alum wheels. The yokohamas, worst tires in snow i ever had and yes they were all seasons. crappy in dry also. i cant recall which brand the second one had. they may have been goodyear or michelin or bridgestone but a MAJOR improvement. Same car, but the tires made it so much better.

tires really can make a difference.

Wot are those? I think back in the day, Chrysler branded their performance parts 'Direct Connection' or something like that..

Rob

That is where we made a photo shop of a Viper drving over 2x4's to get into the drive. The boards were branded with the Mopar Direct Connection name.

It was called a joke. Being a smart art major he not only got the joke but complimented the Photo Shop.

The Eagle RSAs i had on my SHO were ok. they were decent. kinda loud, but got 60k + out of them and they were ok in snow.

Replaced them with Conti Pro COntacts, a tire that is not well known, but affordable and a very good tire and quite good in snow for a speed rated tire.

I had eagle aquatreds on my first SHO, trememdous sticking power and soft and quiet (quietest tire i ever had) but only lasted about 25k miles.

Tires do make a big diff. I had a Diamante with some crappy base yokohamas. Traded it for one a year later with different tires and alum wheels. The yokohamas, worst tires in snow i ever had and yes they were all seasons. crappy in dry also. i cant recall which brand the second one had. they may have been goodyear or michelin or bridgestone but a MAJOR improvement. Same car, but the tires made it so much better.

tires really can make a difference.

You were lucky as RSA, Old Gen GT's, GT+4. LS and some other tires are all being replaced with new product. Think of these as the Old Malibu's of tires. Not horrible but not as good as they needed to be. All tire companies have older tire models and new lines. So the quality will vary.

I have been using Goodyear Assurance triple tread on the wife car and mine in the winter with good results. Few companys will used them as an OE tire as they are cost more than they will pay. I did see them on on $40,000 Ford and that is it. I have gotten a lot of miles out of these vs the BFG Comp TA's that lasted 24,000 miles.

How is the road noise on those Triple Treads? The CRV needs new tires and being a Honda the road noise is horrible as is.... so I want a quiet tire.

I too would like a more detailed report on your Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires. I am considering these for the wife's G6 - tirerack.com has them rated as their #1 tire for the class - and knowing a little more about them from someone who has them would help me deal better with the high price of these tires :P

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

I too would like a more detailed report on your Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires. I am considering these for the wife's G6 - tirerack.com has them rated as their #1 tire for the class - and knowing a little more about them from someone who has them would help me deal better with the high price of these tires :P

I'm not familiar with the Assurance TripleTreds, but I put a set of the Goodyear Fortera TripleTreds on my Grand Cherokee in Oct. 07. They are reasonably quiet, and very good in snow, slush and rain during the 1 winter in Colorado I drove w/ them on. They seem to wear well, I have about 30k on them now, been rotating every 3k. They were about $175 each installed, IIRC. I went w/ the Forteras specifically for the snow rating and mild off road use rating. They seem to be more resistant to picking up nails/etc than the original Wranglers were.

Rob

I only use Michelin or Pirelli. Tirerack.com has good prices on Pirelli's.

I had Pirelli's in the past - not cheap ones and ones that were recommended by Consumer Reports - and I was not happy with them. I will pass on Pirelli's until Tire Rack starts recommending them for the cars I own. As for Michelins, a good friend of mine only buys this brand for his two cars and he does a lot of driving/commuting. Our '05 Envoy had Michelins and they lasted to the end of the lease/45k (though if I had bought the Envoy outright from the beginning, I would have replaced them by 42k). Michelin Harmony tires are rated #3 on Tire Rack's site, below the #1-rated Goodyear TripleTred Assurance tires. If I'm going to put out the money, I might as well go witht eh best out there.

I only use Michelin or Pirelli. Tirerack.com has good prices on Pirelli's.

I had Pirelli's on my first Miata and hated them.

Now run BFgoodrich G force TA's...they did quite well in Sunday's autocross.

If I only hadn't lost out to the white MINI and the White Scion in the last round....

But I did manage to run 6 runs out of 7 better than the 2 Preludes with mods. Both of them were pushing a hundred ++ more HP than I was and running on R coumpound rubber.

I never would ahve gotten that with Pirelli's.

Chris

Had a set of Goodyear Forteras about 5-6 years ago- they weren't bad but they were subject to numerous sidewall buldges that Goodyear called "normal". They wore slightly quicker than my average...

I wear tires quicker than average also.

Something about a few hundred runs sliding them around parking lots in Autocross seems to diminish my tread life horribly.

Can't quite figure out why. :scratchchin::scratchchin:

Chris

All our cars have Assurance Tripletreds- they're a great tire so buy a set and don't look back

/advice

My '99 Bonne had Aquatreds when I bought it and then replaced them with two sets of TripleTreds... over 140K miles... I should have about 30~40K left on the second set. I had one pair of tires that lasted about 110K. Awesome tire that handles well and really works well in the wet or snow. I don't consider them to be noisy at all.

My girlfriend ditched her OEM tires on her '04 Corolla after a scary hydroplaning event, and got the Tripletreds... its like night and day, the car sticks to the road so much better now.

My Five Hundred and Taurus X both have the Pirelli P6. Decent in snow. Not soft, not hard. A little noisy in the 500, not so much in the Trex with more sound insul.

Wear seems good. I had 45k on teh 500 when i turned it in and it still had some tread left.

my interest is now piqued on the assurance tires.

Edited by regfootball

I replace a set of Factory BFG Comp VR tires on the wifes GTP that only got 24,000 miles with the Goodyear Triple Treads. we got around 50,000 miles out of them. The wife is hard on brakes and tires due to agressive driving and my speed on cruving off ramps also is not wear enhancing. I just installed the second set and have no need to worry about them for a good while again.

Put a set on my Mom's old Buick and she got 60,000 miles on them and they were on the car when she sold them. They are still ruinning.

I out a set on my steel wheels for winter on my SS. I took off the 18 inch tires for 16's. THe ride improved and turn in was a tick off but the performance compared to the Pilots were not very much. THe wet traction improved and the Snow traction was outstranding as it was on my GTP.

I have pushed snow with the front air dam up my street and never got into the traction control.

The triple tread as an example of the kind of tires Goodyear is now making. They have put their money back into developent and it is showing with each new tire coming out.

The New Eagle GT that came out last fall is so good they should have named it something else. For then money it has proven to be a great tire. They have more new models coming and are rebuilding their line up not unlike GM. Robert Keegan is their Bob Lutz and he had changed them in a very positive way.

It used to be Family members who worked there would tell you what not to buy now they have product they can and will tell you what to get.

Well, you guys got me sold on the Goodyear TripleTred Assurance tires!! Now I need to start calling around to see what the cost would be for a set for the wife's Pontiac.

Try TireRack.com. They just became a sponsor of C&G. They can set you up with a local installer and ship directly to them.

Goodyear Assurance TripleTred Tire

td121kpthnl6ACEC9BC687AGFADC

My firms sells Goodyear Racing and Street tires but I buy mine from the Tire Rack. They are always cheaper than even my discounted work price. Add that to a buddy with a $25,000 tire machine that will not nick my wheels and I am set.

I order them and the next day they are at the door.

I can even use my Family Goodyear discount throught them. My last Triple Treads with the Tire Rack price, Rebate and my Discount I was able to get them in 16" for $74 each.

If anyone is looking at Goodyear tires watch their rebates as often they will take $40 off a set of 4 tires. That is anywhere you buy them.