Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: New Honda president says we don't need V8s, rear-wheel drive

2 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hybrids/Alternative, Sedans/Saloons, Acura, Honda

acura-tl-sh-awd_sta_01-580op.jpg
2009 Acura TL - Click above for a high-res image gallery

Honda Motor Co.'s new president, Takanubo Ito, has said in no uncertain terms that V8 power and rear-wheel drive motivation aren't in the automaker's future.

Ito, who took the reigns from Takeo Fukui last month, said during his first press conference, "I don't think we need a classic front-engine, rear-drive car. It would be meaningless to emulate what other companies have done for more than five decades."

Honda's new president went on to say that, "We are considering incorporating new engines, motors, transmissions and chassis into mid- to large-sized hybrid vehicles," and confirmed that his predecessor's plan to create a V8 and a new rear-wheel drive architecture have been killed after Honda reassessed its priorities amidst the tanking economy. Instead, expect Honda's future premium offerings - primarily those from Acura - to adopt fuel-efficient inline-four and V6 engines, equipped with hybrid motors, and all-wheel drive.

Gallery: 2009 Acura TL

acura-tl-sh-awd_act_08_thumbnail.jpgacura-tl-sh-awd_act_19_thumbnail.jpgacura-tl-details-001_thumbnail.jpgacura-tl-details-002_thumbnail.jpgacura-tl-details-003_thumbnail.jpg

[source: Automotive News - Sub. Req.]

New Honda president says we don't need V8s, rear-wheel drive originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 20 Jul 2009 14:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=rR_nShxo0Y8:XCNKoO7HAyo:wF9xT autoblog?i=rR_nShxo0Y8:XCNKoO7HAyo:V_sGL
rR_nShxo0Y8

View the full article

I can completely understand deciding as a company (especially as Honda) to decide not to do V8's. RWD, though, I think would be worth them having in one or two sport models.