Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Bob Lutz unhappy with new Buick campaign?

22 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Marketing/Advertising, Videos, Buick, GM, Lexus

buick-ad-cap-580op.jpg
Buick LaCrosse "Photo Shoot" ad - Click the image above to view the video after the jump

Looks like there could be too many cooks in the Buick PR kitchen, and the soup is looking worried. For the new GM to get on its feet, Buick has to find its feet. To do that, Buick has created a number of ad campaigns meant to showcase its new product and bring new, younger buyers to the brand. One of the commercials in the campaign is called "Photo Shoot," and according to a report, the recently empowered VP of marketing, Bob Lutz, isn't particularly pleased with the spot.

Both Lutz and GM CEO Fritz Henderson don't believe the commercial positions Buick as a luxury brand that competes with Lexus. They have told GM's ad agency, Leo Burnett, that it needs to do better. However -- and here's where it gets convoluted -- the ad was created by an independent shop that Leo Burnett was told to hire to do the work. Mark LaNeve, GM's head of marketing, allegedly instructed Burnett to hire Gary Topolewski, a former creative director at Burnett who worked with LaNeve on Cadillac's Break Through ad campaign, and who now runs another ad agency.

The other character in the middle of all of this is Buick VP Susan Docherty, who defended the commercial. She said it fulfills its role of promoting a revamped Buick brand, adding that she looks "forward to working with Bob and sharing spots two through six with him." Follow the jump to watch the commercial, and you can decide if it makes you put the word "Buick" in the same sentence with "Lexus."

[source: Automotive News - Sub. Req.]

Continue reading Bob Lutz unhappy with new Buick campaign?

Bob Lutz unhappy with new Buick campaign? originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=ngrGTvtUc7Y:uznpjE8IFSU:wF9xT autoblog?i=ngrGTvtUc7Y:uznpjE8IFSU:V_sGL
ngrGTvtUc7Y

View the full article

He should be far more concerned that the company's premium division is offering a stripped down Chevy spec version of the new 2010 LaCrosse in CX trim with plastic wheel covers and no fog lights. What kind of brand positioning is this?!...

He should also be concerned that GM chose to stick with the lame LaCrosse name for this car in the North American market.

I thought the ads were $h! too Bob.

I thought the ads were $h! too Bob.

+1

Chris

Buick does not compete with Lexus, the only way they are similar is that driving them "feels like drowning in wallpaper paste" to quote Jeremy Clarkson.

I agree with Lutz that the ads are crap. Why GM year after year keeps talking about how great Buick is and how much potential they have is beyond me. Buick sales have been in steady decline for years and their image is toast.

Same $h!, different day...

Too many inept people running GM.

Exactly. when the hell is this Susan idiot getting canned?!? She's defending the stupidest commercial in Buick history. Her bonuses must be inversely related to her brand's success.

Well in all honesty, the commercial just screams GAY, not that there is anything wrong with that ... I mean one of my good friends is gay, well he's not a good friend ... He's more of an acquaintance, well not a close acquaintance ...

And his mother is a goat herder, not that there is anything wrong with that ...

I'm just pulling your legs Boyz, did you feel it ??? :smilewide:

Edited by PCS

Have these people never turned on the television and seen what a Lexus, BMW or MB ad looks like? This is like something Kia would do. It isn't serious. It's far too "campy" and "playful."

Horrid. GM sucks and will continue to do so until they fire/replace nearly all of their WHITE COLLAR STAFF.

Campy is exactly what I think of the Buick ads. They have nice production values, but they're not classy.

He should be far more concerned that the company's premium division is offering a stripped down Chevy spec version of the new 2010 LaCrosse in CX trim with plastic wheel covers and no fog lights. What kind of brand positioning is this?!...

He should also be concerned that GM chose to stick with the lame LaCrosse name for this car in the North American market.

:yes:

Pardon the language, but not adressing the issues you wrote is the real 'crock of $h!' behaviour regarding Buick's positioning in this New GM.

:yes:

Pardon the language, but not adressing the issues you wrote is the real 'crock of $h!' behaviour regarding Buick's positioning in this New GM.

OMG, my virgin ears ... :P

Horrid. GM sucks and will continue to do so until they fire/replace nearly all of their WHITE COLLAR STAFF.

+1

Chris

Mr Lutz your just a big cry baby. Do us all a big favor and retire like you said you would.

He's the only one old enough at the Renncenter to understand the average Buick buyer.

Chris

He's the only one old enough at the Renncenter to understand the average Buick buyer.

Chris

Disagree. He's the only one with the savvy to truly understand the luxury market. Lutz is a world traveller--he's likely one of the few who has left the midwestern/Motown bubble for significant periods of time in his life.

Like I said in another post, the real proof will be in the next generation of cars that come out.

I'm willing to give Lutz and GM a chance. But they will ahve to come up with more than just the CTS as a luxury car.

Chris

More importantly, how does buickman regard this spiffy new ad campaign?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room