Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: BMW admits four-cylinders are likely headed back to U.S.

10 posts in this topic

Filed under: BMW, Diesel

bmw_3-cylinder_engines.jpg

About half the vehicles BMW sells worldwide come equipped with four-cylinder engines, yet the German luxury car maker's single biggest market doesn't sport a single four-banger in its entire lineup. BMW hasn't sold a vehicle with a four-cylinder engine in the U.S. in over a decade, but company vice president of US engineering Tom Baloga told Bloomberg that the trend won't likely continue.

The U.S. government is mandating fuel economy averages of 35.5 mpg by 2016; a number that will shrink engine sizes for most automakers. BMW's overall fuel economy for the 2008 model year was reportedly 26.5 mpg, which means the Munich, Germany-based automaker has a lot of work to do to achieve that number. And since customers have come to expect a certain level of performance from BMW, Baloga says the company will have to increase fuel economy without hurting performance. To keep performance levels high, we expect to see more turbocharging and direct injection in future models.

Interestingly, BMW already meets 2016 U.S. fuel economy standards with its model lineup in Europe, but team Bimmer reportedly doesn't plan to fill out the bulk of its lineup with oil burners. BMW already has diesel powerplants in its 335d and the X5 in the States, though, so we wouldn't be surprised to see more diesels in the years to come.

[source: Bloomberg]

REPORT: BMW admits four-cylinders are likely headed back to U.S. originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:26:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=2lZzQOZfit4:RVBVLwLurg0:wF9xT autoblog?i=2lZzQOZfit4:RVBVLwLurg0:V_sGL
2lZzQOZfit4

View the full article

Now, now, be nice ...

:AH-HA_wink:

Although I would be suprised if they did not also offer a four at least somewhere in the HP range of the 2.4L Ecotec, if not closer to the 2.0 turbo.

what i have read is BMW is working on 3 cylinder models also, and the US will get those as well at some point.

so much for the ultimate driving machine.

So, no repeat of the 318i where it gets spanked by half the Saturns and every Neon. :D

I never saw an ad that suggested BMW's mandate was for the best performing everything on the road. I lived the 80's and remember what high-performance makes were churning out. Not even Porsche could resist the urge for underperformance models. Heck, look at today with Mercedes A and B class. The highest they'll go to advertise these cars is to say they're 'sporty'. Their marketing is all about giving easy choice between luxury and practicality. That last word isn't in too many luxury makes dictionary. Nothing taken away from them; however, even BMW has to admit that they can't just get by with eye-candy and road scorchers. They need the lower-market realm and, maybe, [gasp] volume?

4 cyl in the 1 series would help bridge the gap between the Mini and BMW.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Sure does make Honda with its leading 4 cyl. & 6 cyl. power plants smart for not going after the larger cyl. count engines. Remember Honda/Acura just patented a VANOS type system as well...