Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Ford officially confirms four-cylinder EcoBoost

10 posts in this topic

Filed under: Ford

ford-fiesta-sport-580op2.jpg

2009 is the beginning of Ford's EcoBoost era, with its spanking new twin-turbocharged 3.5-liter V6 finding its way under the hood of the Lincoln MKS and MKT and the Ford Flex and Taurus. While the blown six is able to deliver V8 performance with V6 fuel economy, it hasn't exactly put up eye-popping city and highway mileage. Ford hopes to change that with the introduction of a four-cylinder version of the engine.

Ford has confirmed what we've known for some time: a new 2.0-liter four-cylinder EcoBoost variant is on the way, capable of at least 230 hp and 240 lb-ft of torque. The engine will reportedly give drivers V6 performance with four-pot fuel economy, with possible applications for both cars and trucks. According to Inside Line, Ford reps said the first application of the 2.0-liter EcoBoost won't necessarily be in a car, either. Since the Ford Explorer America concept was powered by a 2.0-liter EcoBoost, the 2011 Explorer is a likely candidate. We've heard rumors about a four-cylinder EcoBoost under the hood of F-150s, Fusions and Mustangs, too, and in order for Ford to make the new mill cost effective, it has to be fitted to as many models as possible.

Ford promised that EcoBoost technology would soon be available across its lineup, and four-cylinder variants are crucial to Ford's ability to hit 2016 EPA mileage standards of 35.5 mpg. We're looking forward to which vehicles will receive four cylinder EcoBoost engines first, and we've got a feeling we'll hear more when the auto show season starts in the fall.

[source: Inside Line]

Ford officially confirms four-cylinder EcoBoost originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 21 Jul 2009 13:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=EJ1TEUqjCww:B3Q67dTFc4Q:wF9xT autoblog?i=EJ1TEUqjCww:B3Q67dTFc4Q:V_sGL
EJ1TEUqjCww

View the full article

Ford has really made wise choices the past several years.

Mustang SVO part-deux?

Ford has really made wise choices the past several years.

This.

2.0 LNF is ahead of the game in this category. GM has some good turbo 4 bangers. Now it needs the turboed versions for the 3.0 and 3.6 DI V-6 and it will be good to go.

Now it needs the turboed versions for the 3.0 and 3.6 DI V-6 and it will be good to go.

The 3.0L maybe, to replace the current 2.8L. Remember the turbo 2.8L in the Insignia OPC is at Northstar V8 levels. Add DI and you get some 10% more hp, putting the 2.8L roughly on par with the Ecoboost 3.5L V6. Replace the OPC's single turbo with a twin-turbo setup and you have the potential to look at what? Some 375hp to 400hp, maybe?... Perhaps even more?... Not bad, eh?

Edited by ZL-1

I am thinking even higher performance applications for the 3.6DI.

I am thinking even higher performance applications for the 3.6DI.

I think that for anything over 400hp we'd see a smallblock V8 (can DI be fitted to those?), smaller than today's in displacement, either supercharged or single/twin turbo-ed. I still don't believe in 500hp twin turbo V6s for cars from major OEMs. Maybe in time we'll get there.

Edited by ZL-1

pretty weak power output. how about 260+?

perfect fusion motor. + 6 speed manual.

would be a terrific base fwd edge motor.

AFT!

about

-king

TIME ford!

perfect fusion motor. + 6 speed manual.

would be a terrific base fwd edge motor.

i was thinking it'd be a great 3.0L replacement in the fusion and other like vehicles... that power doesn't step on the 3.5L/3.7L's "toes", yet.

it said "at least" that much power. ;)

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0