MARK PHELAN

You could get whiplash this week following the volleys of apparently conflicting statements GM CEO Fritz Henderson and Vice Chairman Bob Lutz made about the company's plan for the Pontiac G8 sport sedan.

It's dead. It'll make a nice Chevy. We don't re-badge cars. It won't be a Chevrolet, only maybe it will.

Were they arguing through the media? Did Lutz miss the memo about Fritz being CEO? Do these guys even talk to each other?

No, no and yes. Here's what's up:

Detroit Free Press

As with all the Auto Guru's it's an opinion, Buick needs a Flagship more than Chevy.

GM can't sell tons of Caprices because of C.A.F.E / Buick can sell P/A's for more making a great profits.

Chevy will have to make do with a new FWD Impala, GM will price them quite high to push the masses into smaller cars.

GM's C.A.F.E numbers rise and you & I are forced into the crap boxes as Clunkers for Cash has dried up the used car market.

Cap & Trade taxes you each time you start your car.

Electric cars and alternative fuel vehicles using less fuel reduce the Governments take in taxes so they tax you per mile, nah make it per kilometer(more units of tax & we should be on the metric system by now)

Downward spiral :wacko:

And all I wanted was a Family Sized Chevy for a Reasonable price Hell I'll even take with a 3.0 L V6 TT diesel with BAS II & like it but can I PLEASE have the wagon???

YAWNNNNNNN ...

Why so? Just because you've jumped ship to BMW and you don't want GM in the auto RWD business?

I've not worked for a manufacturer though my Father did and directly below the Plant Manager back in the 80's. But I did recently work in the QC/QA business for 5yr's & saw & heard alot of things.

As I said It's all opinion and I do value your opinion and others especially insiders. But I don't gain any insight with that kind of comment other than you could give a $hit less. I've only tried to offer something, which I rarely do though I have been a member for longer than what the stats show. I used to post alot but can't as I need to work more hours than read.

Why so? Just because you've jumped ship to BMW and you don't want GM in the auto RWD business?

I've not worked for a manufacturer though my Father did and directly below the Plant Manager back in the 80's. But I did recently work in the QC/QA business for 5yr's & saw & heard alot of things.

As I said It's all opinion and I do value your opinion and others especially insiders. But I don't gain any insight with that kind of comment other than you could give a $hit less. I've only tried to offer something, which I rarely do though I have been a member for longer than what the stats show. I used to post alot but can't as I need to work more hours than read.

It is no reflection on you. I value everyone's input, it's just I grow bored of the on again, off again Zeta saga, especially when I know how it ends ...

It is no reflection on you. I value everyone's input, it's just I grow bored of the on again, off again Zeta saga, especially when I know how it ends ...

So it's just the same ole GM politics? or Fritz is of the GME ilk?

Fritz use to be Chairman of GME ...

And GME will no longer be under their control. Though I take it that GMNA will source from GME. Fritz wants to remake this company & Country in the likes of Europe? ... New world order :nono:

And GME will no longer be under their control. Though I take it that GMNA will source from GME. Fritz wants to remake this company & Country in the likes of Europe? ... New world order :nono:

Opel/Vauxhall will no longer be under their outright control, but there is a plan to reacquire control at a later date ... My thoughts on the NWO, equate to this - :tinfoil:

sounds like chevy feels the next impala must be a volume car.

i still think an impala that sells 50k a year with more sales diverted to a malibu that has a broad range of offerings would work.

i don't get why they simply couldn't make a 2010 model run of the g8.

if the park avenue is really the solution they could load a bunch of them on the boat right now and send them over. of course, GM is inept and cannot react fast enough to do that.

and even then, the park avenue is the longer version, and it does not have the manual option. it really is a different car.

sounds like chevy feels the next impala must be a volume car.

i still think an impala that sells 50k a year with more sales diverted to a malibu that has a broad range of offerings would work.

i don't get why they simply couldn't make a 2010 model run of the g8.

if the park avenue is really the solution they could load a bunch of them on the boat right now and send them over. of course, GM is inept and cannot react fast enough to do that.

and even then, the park avenue is the longer version, and it does not have the manual option. it really is a different car.

The HSV Grange(same basic car LWB) offers the manual option so can be done. Also I would think that a Grange would out handle a G8 even the top dog version(too many letters in the name to remember) but its all in what GM wants Buick to be.

And with Chevy they need volume from where ever they can get it sales that is not supply.

oh, and BMWs are great and all but word is they are planning to attack the market with a bunch of 3 and 4 cylinder cars. So much for those wonderful RWD discerning driver cars.

I think the TT 3's if thats what they'd do would work out ok with the right transmission or a tranny combo / Auto & CVT?

oh, and BMWs are great and all but word is they are planning to attack the market with a bunch of 3 and 4 cylinder cars. So much for those wonderful RWD discerning driver cars.

They already have 4 cylinder cars powered by gas and diesel in Europe for a while now, and BMW already meets 2016 U.S. fuel economy standards with its model lineup in Europe ...

They already have 4 cylinder cars powered by gas and diesel in Europe for a while now, and BMW already meets 2016 U.S. fuel economy standards with its model lineup in Europe ...

Plus their diesel beats a Pirus in mpg with a 5 series.

Looked at the new sport hatch I like it looks like they're growing their image into the luxo market hope it doesn't dilute the sport market too much.

well, BMW will have to make sure they can sustain their wheel of fortune prices with those 3 and 4 pots then, and hopefully they can move away from their rather tedious styling rut soon. every 3 series is as common and dull as a late 90's grand am was at the time, and cars like the x6 and the 5 series Maxx don't really bode well for maintaning a healthy ralph lauren image.

I love what BMW does. z4, 1, 3 awesome. but the four cylinders and diesels they sell in Europe won't fly here. unless they plan on remaking BMW into a more plebian brand. or they tack on a bunch of money for the diesels. more likely they will use turbo fours and concentrate less on SUVs, outside of the high selling X5 and X3, which makes the recently introd X6 all the more of a dud.

Plus their diesel beats a Pirus in mpg with a 5 series.

Looked at the new sport hatch I like it looks like they're growing their image into the luxo market hope it doesn't dilute the sport market too much.

BMW meet CARB. CARB meet BMW. I believe you two have something to discuss regarding diesels....

well... look at the time..

I have another meeting to get to. ta!

I love what BMW does. z4, 1, 3 awesome. but the four cylinders and diesels they sell in Europe won't fly here. unless they plan on remaking BMW into a more plebian brand. or they tack on a bunch of money for the diesels. more likely they will use turbo fours and concentrate less on SUVs, outside of the high selling X5 and X3, which makes the recently introd X6 all the more of a dud.

There are plans for the new family of 4 pots multiturbos to have power equivalent to current sixes. Which means a 2.0 odd twin turbo will have close to 300 hp of the 335i and a single turbo to have somewhere around 250hp along with the added fuel economy.

BMW meet CARB. CARB meet BMW. I believe you two have something to discuss regarding diesels.... well... look at the time.. I have another meeting to get to. ta!

I don't care if they bring in the 335d to pacify Monica Lewinsky and Newt Gingrich-

It is still one hell of a car!

Chris

There are plans for the new family of 4 pots multiturbos to have power equivalent to current sixes. Which means a 2.0 odd twin turbo will have close to 300 hp of the 335i and a single turbo to have somewhere around 250hp along with the added fuel economy.

add lighter weight and the future doesn't look so bleak after all. the 3 will continue to be thier mainstream model selling well over 100k units in the future here as prices for the other models continue to rise. 5 base will probably be near the 300 hp, with close or over 30 mpg......and lightweight.......very nice