Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cmicasa the Great

Ford forecast to post another loss

3 posts in this topic

DETROIT (Reuters) -- Ford Motor Co. is expected to post a fifth straight quarterly loss on Thursday amid the economic downturn that helped force auto parts makers and rivals General Motors and Chrysler into bankruptcy in the past three months. Still, investors are likely to look past the expected loss and focus on whether Ford slowed its cash burn in the second quarter as it forecast and if it still sees the beginnings of a U.S. economic recovery in the second half of 2009.

And for Ford, with GM and Chrysler now through bankruptcy, the focus also will turn more toward how quickly the automaker will address an automotive debt burden that stood at $25.8 billion at the end of March and reverse years of losses.

Ford's automotive business burned through $3.7 billion in the first quarter and ended March with $21.3 billion in cash.

"I suspect they are going to have very good news for the quarter, and I could see in the short term the stock going up more than it has," Morningstar analyst David Whiston said.

"Long term, I still think they have significant issues that investors need to be aware of. They are still burning cash and they still have a lot of debt on their balance sheet."LINK

From the rumblings I'm hearing on the Google Finance message boards, the next week is going to be a double-whammy of good news for Ford. Apparently dealerships are keeping very busy and sales are expected to be significantly better for July. Quarterly losses are looking to be better than anticipated. Lots of people have been buying Ford stock the last couple days.

Not news in the current environment.

Toyota's cash burn is bigger than anyone's, and they just announced that they are not profitable in North America.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room