Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Spy Shots: Are you the 2010 Saab 9-5? [UPDATE: Apparently, yes]

34 posts in this topic

Filed under: Spy Photos, Sedan, Saab

01-2010-saab-9-5-leakage-580op.jpg
2010 Saab 9-5 - Click above for image gallery

UPDATE: Autobild has released 26 stock photos of the 2010 9-5, with plenty of detail shots including several of the cabin. We're attempting to track down all of the official high-res images and data, but in the meantime, check them out by clicking the image above.

We've been seeing disguised spy shots of Saab's pivotal new 9-5 sedan for some time now, and we've liked what we've seen, even if we haven't been able to peel back the covers all the way. Well, a spate of scanned images have hit the internet of what appears to be a production-ready example, and we're cautiously graduating our emotions to genuine excitement.

The images, apparently scanned from German magazine Autozeitung by MotiveMag forum user saabspider, depict a handsome sedan with a confident face, an aggressive rearward tapering greenhouse (emphasized by the chrome J-kick trim band), and a short, tapered rear deck that remind us vaguely of Saab 900 sedans of yore.

The interior also looks inviting, maintaining Saab's traditional driver-oriented 'cockpit' feel, with liberal use of glossy black and matte metal accents.

Will the new 9-5 be enough to save the perennially troubled Swedish automaker as it moves toward independence? Check out the gallery below and then let us know what you think in the 'Comments' section.

[source: MotiveMag forums via Twitter]

Spy Shots: Are you the 2010 Saab 9-5? [UPDATE: Apparently, yes] originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 22 Jul 2009 10:56:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=6Nn_5LfPhYM:PLsLfxK3zw8:wF9xT autoblog?i=6Nn_5LfPhYM:PLsLfxK3zw8:V_sGL
6Nn_5LfPhYM

View the full article

Now that I've seen more of the exterior I really like it. The blacked out A-pillar is a styling element I always thought was interesting...cool to see it make a return.

Love the interior.

I am a little confused as to the fake venting above the gauge cluster.

Very long car, almost as long as the LaCrosse. That is the only thing that has me worried, as rumours say the 9-3 will downsize to Delta2... too long a gap between models might not be a good idea... on the other hand, Epsilon2 engineering is done so a SWB Epsilon2 9-3 could work out well with a smaller 9-1 on Delta2...

With regard to the 9-5 itself, without thinking about how the rest of the lineup will develop: Love it! Love it! Love it! The c-pillar and the way it flows into the rear deck remind me A LOT of the old school SAAB 900. Too bad the 9-5 wagon is still a year away...

Edited by ZL-1

If you're a Saab fan, I think you're going to love it. If you're not a Saab fan, you're not going to be fond of it although you can appreciate its distinctive "Saab-ness". I happen to be in the latter group. It is nice to see that Saab seems to have gotten back in touch with its quirky mojo though. Maybe this will be something that will bring back fans that had previously abandoned the brand because they felt it was becoming just another corporate influenced entity of GM.

Overall, it looks to be a completely appropriate flagship for the Saab brand.

Edited by cire

I really like it. As mentioned earlier, the A-Pillars are really cool. The interior is pure Saab.

Of course they hate it over at GMinsidenews. I've been taking a break from this website and looking over there. The anti-GM attitude over there really gets me worked up.

I really like this car. GM has finally gotten it right when designing a Saab. It has a lot of cue to older Saabs yet wraps it all together in thoroughly modern package. Interior is beautiful and another great example of how GM is really trying to give clear identities to all of it's brands even down to the buttons. It's just too bad the brand is no longer with GM.

GM will miss the Saab brand. the potential to compete in the $23k-45k category with a distinct and highly qualified sports brand. the interior is beautiful; distinct and totally unconventional, safe and utalitarian, flowing and and well formed, minimalist....very cool and enduring.

Interesting, though the rear overhang is pretty long and the back looks kind of stretched. The interior looks great though.

Of course they hate it over at GMinsidenews. I've been taking a break from this website and looking over there. The anti-GM attitude over there really gets me worked up.

I really like this car. GM has finally gotten it right when designing a Saab. It has a lot of cue to older Saabs yet wraps it all together in thoroughly modern package. Interior is beautiful and another great example of how GM is really trying to give clear identities to all of it's brands even down to the buttons. It's just too bad the brand is no longer with GM.

Welcome back! We'll criticize and discuss GMs blunders and bad decisions where it deserves it, but we're not anti-GM. :)

GM will miss the Saab brand. the potential to compete in the $23k-45k category with a distinct and highly qualified sports brand. the interior is beautiful; distinct and totally unconventional, safe and utalitarian, flowing and and well formed, minimalist....very cool and enduring.

I think GM is getting rid of Saab right as it finally gives the brand products that will help it succeed.

I think GM is getting rid of Saab right as it finally gives the brand products that will help it succeed.

That is the single most reservation I have with GM. Right after it poured real money, effort, development that the brand is getting sold.

I love this vehicle. Interior is classy good. I hope SAAB price its right.

ZL-1, where did you find the specs at?

Not good enough to save the brand. It's attractive, but you can be Scandinavian and striking at the same time.

interior has no distinction.

exterior looks like its from 1996.

i hope the powertrain is nice and the price is low.....

how much money does GM save from using the same effing steering wheel in ALL of its cars?

if this car drives nice, then i am on board. a saab with actual rear seat leg room. What a concept.

i have a feeling the price / value realtionship is still hosed.....

but i would get this over an acura.......if price allowed.

off topic but cars like this seem so redundant that wanting a camaro becomes an even stronger emotion for me.

could you buy a g8 GXP for the same dough?????

does this car have anything on my 89 SHO?

Edited by regfootball

ZL-1, where did you find the specs at?

Swade posted at SaabsUnited that the length is 5m. I believe the info comes from the German magazine article: IIRC that article lists the new wheelbase and the increase in length.

Edited by ZL-1

Swade posted at SaabsUnited that the length is 5m. I believe the info comes from the German magazine article: IIRC that article lists the new wheelbase and the increase in length.

I thought it was 5.2 meters?

I thought it was 5.2 meters?

IIRC 5008mm

Lame exterior. It has what I consider to be the typical Lutz imprint: Big grill with boring side paneling. How can GM come up with great designs like the new Equinox, SRX and LaCrosse then come up with something boring like this and the Cruze?

Just amazing to me a brand can continue with virtually the same face year after year after decade after decade.

With saabs, it's tough to guess the decade, impossible to guess the year. Some might call that 'timelessness' :rolleyes: but I only see it as nothing but hideously stale.

Just amazing to me a brand can continue with virtually the same face year after year after decade after decade.

With saabs, it's tough to guess the decade, impossible to guess the year. Some might call that 'timelessness' :rolleyes: but I only see it as nothing but hideously stale.

Yeah, this new 9-5 has a face that is totally like the 1950's 92 :rolleyes:

Edited by ZL-1

Yeah, this new 9-5 has a face that is totally like the 1950's 92 :rolleyes:

That was the Subaru Tribeca that was a tribute to the '50s 92. :)

That was the Subaru Tribeca that was a tribute to the '50s 92. :)

hehe... the Tribeca's grille... you're right...

You guys can't be this obtuse in reality, can you ? I would've thought you were more experienced at analyzing styling than that.

Same ELEMENTS, in the same RELATION, in generally the same SHAPE. Trapeziodial grille, trapeziodial headlights, trapeziodial intake right below, outboard fog/turn lights in trapeziodial openings, circular emblem flat on flat hood.

Like I said- this latest offering at least comes into the new millenium with surface treatments, and whoa! the grille finally breaks the plane of the headlights, but it's still primarily just a twiddledicking of everything since the '80s.

I can't see even saab loyalists getting excited here, but whatever; have at it.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0