Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: That Taxpayer Money Smell? Cadillac to get new fragrance to celebrate anniversary

11 posts in this topic

Cadillac_Fragrance.jpgCadillac was purchased by General Motors a hundred years ago and as part of the anniversary celebration GM is licensing a line of Cadillac branded products for men. Grapefruit, chamomile, geranium, tarragon and cinnamon anyone?

A little known fact about Cadillac is that it began life in 1901 not as Cadillac, but as The Henry Ford Company (yes, that Henry Ford). Ford founded the company under his own name from the leftovers of the first car company he started, Detroit Automobile Company. He was pushed out of The Henry Ford Company by the board of directors in 1902 and the assets were taken over by his backers. The company was renamed Cadillac while Henry went on to found the Ford Motor Company, but it wasn't till 1909 that William Durant's General Motors purchased Cadillac, and thus the 100-year anniversary.

Enter the Dubai-based cosmetic company Beauty Contact Inc., holder of the "Cadillac" fragrance license which will be producing a line of cosmetics for men scheduled to go on sale in the fall. The lineup will include a cologne, aftershave, deodorant, and hair and body wash each scented with, and we're not kidding here, grapefruit, chamomile, geraniums, tarragon, cinnamon, sweet spice and incense. Strange way to celebrate a brand which once rightfully went by the slogan "The Standard of the World." What happened to the smell of machine turned aluminum, crank case oil, fine leather, mahogany and the sweat of the proletariat masses below you?

Of course, the products are being marketed by Beauty Contact Inc. as "a relevant extension of the Cadillac lifestyle," and a "tribute to the opulence and extravagance of past eras, as well as the luxury and ease of today," but at $73 for a bottle of cologne, we're thinking the idea just plain stinks. [TheStar]

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=fRhtH9m92B4:lEGdFsANpFw:D7DqB2pKE full?i=fRhtH9m92B4:lEGdFsANpFw:V_sGLiPBp
fRhtH9m92B4

View the full article

Filed under: Etc., Marketing/Advertising, Cadillac, Luxury

cadillac_fragrance.jpgWhat does government money smell like? While we'd imagined something like a mix of various colognes mixed with filth and an undertone of unwashed suits, Cadillac evidently thinks Uncle Sam's cash - our cash - smells like fruit, spice, and incense. General Motors has licensed the Cadillac name to Dubai's Beauty Contact Incorporated for the fragrance rollout, intended to hit stores in time for this fall's Cadillac centennial.

Past olfactory experiments by automakers haven't proven to be successful, so Cadillac's effort doesn't seem to have a very bright future, but Beauty Contact's Alwyn Stephen thinks its fragrance is "a relevant extension of the Cadillac lifestyle." The full portfolio of products will be available, spray, aftershave, deodorant, body wash - the whole nine yards. If it helps make the sweaty $5 bill we were most recently handed smell better than body odor, we're all for it.

[source: TheStar.com]

That Taxpayer Money Smell? Cadillac to get new fragrance to celebrate anniversary originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=ugGSC_QC0qw:dhQYrciI1dM:wF9xT autoblog?i=ugGSC_QC0qw:dhQYrciI1dM:V_sGL
ugGSC_QC0qw

View the full article

FIRST - Cadillac is not spending 'taxpayer money' to develop a fragrance, they're collecting money via licensing.

SECONDLY - Cadillac's centennial was 2002.

Who spilled a Coke in NewsFeeder's AP Wire device ??

FIRST - Cadillac is not spending 'taxpayer money' to develop a fragrance, they're collecting money via licensing.

SECONDLY - Cadillac's centennial was 2002.

Who spilled a Coke in NewsFeeder's AP Wire device ??

The headline is autoblog's sense of humor. Also, something else I read talks about how the centennial is regarding GM's purchase.

Well, that would be GM's purchasing centennial (utter nonsense to even recognize that!)- and nothing Cadillac would be commemorating.... (if there was a few molecules of individualism there).

Pretty lame humor attempt, IMO.

Yeah, that wasn't humor, that was pure ignorance. Licensing deal MAKE MONEY...and it doesn't really matter how successful it is...the contract is generally a flat licensing fee, plus a % of the profits.

Autoblog should fire the fool who apparently hasn't paid much attention to the world and how basic things work.

Oh, and PS...if it smells good, I'm totally getting this. Where's the car freshener, though, as part of the package? Just a little spray, something to put on the passenger compartment air filter? Maybe I'll just have to get a travel sized cologne for that role...

Oh, and PS...if it smells good, I'm totally getting this. Where's the car freshener, though, as part of the package? Just a little spray, something to put on the passenger compartment air filter? Maybe I'll just have to get a travel sized cologne for that role...

Check out the top of the thread again, I merged the other story that had more information into this thread.

Check out the top of the thread again, I merged the other story that had more information into this thread.

Thanks. Still have no idea what it would smell like, though. Gotta check that out this fall.

Don't really get why the writer was bitching about the $73 price tag...that's pretty cheap, honestly, especially when you consider every dude wearing A&F scents is paying anywhere between $60 and $80 for the full size bottles, which look smaller than the Cadillac one. Some people just shouldn't go near Price Is Right...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0