Car shoppin' time!

Here we go- wife & I have agreed it's time to go replacin' ... esp based on the fact I am looking at $4500 for my '94 F-150 (provided we use a dealer who participates, right?) - whose trade-in value according to KBB is $513. :rolleyes: That's a travesty, IMO.

The F-150 (as sad as it would make me to condemn it to crushing- my only new purchase) would go as the trade toward replacing her '03 GP SE. That's been a VG car and she still likes it, but the mileage is getting where I'd rather she was in something newer, and 1-2 more years withOUT the CARS cash is doing no one any favors here.

She's not necc against some sort of smaller crossover/ SUV, but as a rule, they get worse mileage & cost more than a sedan. We'd like to stay in the same size range overall (I'm not against going slightly larger), but we don't want anything smaller. Oh, and there's no foreign makes allowed in this household. SPECS: 4-person family, low-tech needs, performance not a priority, stickers up to $25K or so. She gets about 24 around town MPG (3.1L)- better than that would be great.

Questions ~

> Do dealers ever take 2 cars in on a trade, ie: '03 GP plus the '94 F-150 'clunker' ?

> Should I be aware of any problems incorporating GM card cash into the deal ($1900) ?

Feel free to suggest possibilities (it's always fun to spend other's coin, no?)

Feel free to suggest possibilities (it's always fun to spend other's coin, no?)

:lol:

It's funny because its true. :P

Well from the GM stable there's the Malibu, which is a solid choice based on reviews. It's handsome vehicle with a fairly nice interior, and even in lower trim form doesn't look cheap. On the larger side is the Impala, but you want to upgrade from the GP. I'm sure there's heavy incentives on it though, and you said performance and tech aren't priorities. As far as CUVs go, the Equinox gets very impressive mpg numbers. There's also the G8 V6.

From Ford, there's the Fusion which has been getting very good reviews, and I think you can still get the 4-banger with a stick, if she cares for such things. There's the Edge but as I recall MPGs aren't that great. You might be able to get a leftover Taurus for cheap, or go for the new one.

From Chrysler there's the Avenger, which is in base form is certainly not very techy or performance oriented. It gets good fuel economy and I'm sure has hefty incentives, but it's not nearly as refined as the Malibu or Fusion I'd wager. However, the incentives may make up or that, because I'ms sure they're much higher than incentives on the Malibu and Fusion. There's also the Charger, which again has good incentives, is comfortable, and performance is respectable with the 3.5. Skip the 2.7 though, the extra fuel economy isn't worth the gutlessness. If you plan to keep the car for a while, Chrysler's lifetime powertrain warranty might also be a factor.

I'd say go for a Pontiac G8 V6 Sedan... last chance to get such a great Pontiac/car. Of course if you're alright with a Saturn, there are a ton of deals being made on AURAs right now. If you want to stay mainstream GM, then consider a Chevy Malibu (I personally like the 2LT with the 3.6L V6 Performance Package). I'd recommend a Pontiac G6 V6 Sedan too, as my wife likes hers and it has been offering a steady 26 MPG rating (she drives mostly highway to work (I-295 to I-95 to Route 1 North to Princeton). And the G6 is well-optioned: power/heated/leather seats, 6-disc CD radio, sunroof, chrome package, 3.5L V6, etc. As for trading in two vehicles, that's up to the dealer you're going with. When I sold new BPG's back in '99-'00 I had a customer trade in 3 cars for a new GMC Sierra (of course two of the three were going right to the junkyard!). You'll have to see how the CARS cash plays into it, and how the dealer wants to handle it. Good luck!!

Interesting to put my theories to the test here- I generally direct the car shopping for her to a point. Her rides: '93 Grand Am, '98 Intrique, '03 GP. Basically, a 'mid-level' GMer. Pontiac is gone.... where will we defect to ??

Malibu is a given- we'll check one out this weekend. Starts @ $21.6K, decent starting point.

I don't think I'm going to get 'warm fuzzies' from the Impy.

G6 is going to be too small.

G8 I will check- hadn't thought about it since seeing a G8 GXP on the floor @ $40K.

>>"GMC Terrain SLE-1 2.4L AWD"<< price is OK @ $24K, but sorry; I find it rather hideous. Yes, this is a factor. I'll look, tho.

I sure like what I've seen on the '10 'nox- are they @ the dealers now?

This may be the chance to do what all of you seem to have done- fritter away time in cars I have no intention of buying. I just don't kno if I could keep the revulsion off my face at the toyota dealer :P

If you can't find the G8 you want I could keep my eyes open around here.

A few local dealers have a pretty good selection of them still.

But for my money, it would be a Malibu.

Chris

Balthy: new 2010 Equinox is at dealers. You and your wife will love the interior. Very stylish, and it gets great mileage, still 29 mpg with AWD and the 2.4L. I thought you might like the Terrain because you're kind of an "Industrial Strength" type of guy.

Balthy: new 2010 Equinox is at dealers. You and your wife will love the interior. Very stylish, and it gets great mileage, still 29 mpg with AWD and the 2.4L. I thought you might like the Terrain because you're kind of an "Industrial Strength" type of guy.

Yes but he's not a poser and the Terrain is pseudo "Industrial Strength". :P

The GMC Terrain won't be available until the fall, and I think they go into production in September (from what I've been told). The 2010 Chevy Equinox is on dealers lots now and you should be able to find them (atleast entry-level models). Just remember though that there are no incentives on these new CUVs right now.

The G6 is no smaller than the Malibu or AURA. I've had the '04 Malibu and the G6 is longer than that; I believe that the new Malibu was put onto the G6/Malibu MAXX platform. The downside to the G6 is that the athletic design of the car leads to a slimmer trunk, though we fit plenty of stuff in ours with no problem. I understand that with Pontiac going away you may want to stay away from the brand, but ours has been bulletproof so far this past year and my dad's '06 G6 V6 Sedan has been very reliable & dependable the last three years. If you like the design and it offers the features and options you want, I'd consider it (plus you might get a better deal on them than a comparable Malibu). Same thing for the AURA, but I don't know how you feel about Saturn's future.

Friends of ours just rented a new 2010 Ford Fusion this past week for a trip to Williamsburg, VA. They went from where I live in southern NJ to Williamsburg on half a tank of gas, getting between 33-35 MPG. They're big Ford fans and they own two 2005 Fords - he has a 500 Limted sedan and she has a Freestyle Limited AWD. They do a lot of highway driving to & from work and the 500 is up for replacement. She said they're going next week to look the new 2010 Fusion because of how much they liked it for the past week. I'm seeing a ton of the new '10 Fusions on the roads here in southern NJ.

I'd still recommend a GM product though :P

snipe, snipe ! :lol:

Don't forget : this is the wife's ride, not mine. I'm still cuddly with my 2500HD DuraMax.

I like what I've seen of the Acadia, but I believe it starts in the high 20s, and it's pretty large (for her).

Got some ground to cover this weekend.

As for the Lambdas, you won't find a GMC Acadia for under $31-$32K, and at that price you're looking at a base SLE FWD model. Same thing with the Chevy Traverse, but you may find some Saturn OUTLOOKs at $30K, if not slightly less (again, all cloth interiors with FWD). Trust me, I've been looking at them all down my end of the state.

What's a "blended family" ? :scratchchin: Does it mean I get to mix hard liquor into my parenting ? ;)

OK- Acadia too big & too pricey. Out.

Terrain too hideous and not here yet. Out.

No GMCs I'm afraid, Roger.

BTW- I also do a lot of work in Princeton- north side currently (Montgomery).

-- -- -- -- --

Traverse on the same platform is going to be too big, also.

I have no problem buying a Pontiac. My recollection of the G6 was shortly after they came out & I sat in one- seemed small. I'll check it all the same.

HHR: she doesn't like, and that has to be too small for us.

-- -- -- -- --

We're definately in the Malibu-class sedan or Equinox-class of CUV. Haven't been to the Ford dealer since 2 years ago- checking out the Edge. Lots of new stuff over there- will check & report.

>>"There's also the Journey, Vue, and Caravan is she's not concerned about what's fashionable, thought the Caravan might be too big (it is however, very practical)."<<

Not to imply she's not fashion-conscious... ideally she'd prolly love a '10 Mustang convertible (or Camaro)- she had an '87 'stang and liked the 'sportiness' of it (4cyl/auto :rolleyes: ), but it was moreso than the next 3 sedans at least.

But minivans are a towering, unshakable 'NO'.

About the current Equinox & Torrent - while I like them a lot (especially the Pontiac), the one thing I can't ever get over is how plasticky the interior is (I mean no offense to you gm4life; if I found a Torrent equipped how I want it this summer and the deal was too good to pass up, I'd be hard pressed not to seriously consider it). It's something to consider and it's one of the reasons why I'd rather wait for the new Terrain to come out (or Equinox in your case).

Yeah, the Lambdas will be bigger than what she probably wants. My wife hates the HHR too, so she would never consider it for herself. While I really like them, my personal issue deals with its smallish size and being 4-cyl powered only (I really like my V6s!). There's always the Pontiac Vibe, but they're about the same size class as the HHR.

DF is right - you have quite a few crossovers to check out with the Edge, Journey, VUE, etc. For some reason I really like the Journey a lot, but like the Equinox/Torrent the interior comes off plasticky.

Have a ton of fun checking/test-driving everything and we expect a full report on your experiences :P

>>"There's also the Journey, Vue, and Caravan is she's not concerned about what's fashionable, thought the Caravan might be too big (it is however, very practical)."<< Not to imply she's not fashion-conscious... ideally she'd prolly love a '10 Mustang convertible (or Camaro)- she had an '87 'stang and liked the 'sportiness' of it (4cyl/auto :rolleyes: ), but it was moreso than the next 3 sedans at least. But minivans are a towering, unshakable 'NO'.

Here is another thought...why buy another n "normal" car ever again?

You could keep her current car running 4 ever, or until the boys are out of the house.

Buy a car you really want...Solstice, Sky, Mustang Convertible, Camaro, etc.

We have 5 kids and no "normal car"

Besides, think of how much fun you can havewt your kids with a cool car. Being a parent with a roadster is fun, as the kids know they are getting just mom or just dad when they go in the Miata. A Solstice could work the same way.

For times you all have to go somehwere, get an extra cab beater truck that runs well. Maybe not a total beater, but a 2001 Ford/Chevy Dodge 2WD could be had cheap. perhaps.

But yeah...I'd open it up to Camaro/Mustang/Solstice/Sky. But that's just me. And my wife tolerates my automotive passions well.

And with your minivan comment we can assume a Sienna is off the shopping list?

Chris

Sienna is a toyota, so is a vibe. One would assume 6300 posts is enough for people to get a bead on you. :wink: :P

-- -- -- -- --

I like the 'you only live once' idea, 66, but I got her to forget my F-150 has been registered & insured (even tho that's only about $350 ins), sitting parked back by the shop for the better part of a year. Her car is currently about $650 ins - keeping that AND adding a new car ins prem is not the road we're looking to go down.

And replacing her car wih a 2-seater doesn't work, period: the boys often go places with her, either to accomodate my work schedule or disinterest (they just breezed out the door to go to the mall 5 minutes ago :lol: ) -- with a 2-seater, the only way that would work would be for her to drive my 240" truck more than the twice she has in the last 3 years. She's petite, and that disparity makes me nervous. :unsure:

Still... NOW I'm going to have to check out the Camaro V-6, too! :smilewide:

Still... NOW I'm going to have to check out the Camaro V-6, too! :smilewide:

Exactly. Even if you keep her car...

I just can't stand the thought of buying a normal car. And once she has a "fun car" she will love, she will think that way too.

Seriously. Life is too short to drive boring cars. I commute 45 minutes each day to work with the top down. The difference in attiude a fun car can make is immeasureable.

Besides, if your getting rid of a Ford and can't be talked into a Sienna (I'm going to jail for man slaughter if you buy a Sienna by the way) you need another Ford.

Since the F-150 will get crushed, you will have space in your garage/shop for another car. 56 Ford Ranch wagon (didn't they build a two door wagon?) with a few modern touches. Your Buick will love you forever for a proper garage mate. Really it will.

Chris

...and your 40 called collect from Jersy to Ohio. He seconds the 56 ranch wagon and suggests driving a Mustang as well.

Oh, and one more word. V6 Challenger.

You could also go used and get a Charger. Very good road car, RWD, Camino hates them so you'd have something for him to needle you about.

Rear seat headroom is not good, but the Charger is a very good road car. How big/how old are your boys?

Chris

...and one more thought. Special Car+your kids=mind bending, mind altering good time, something you will remember forever. My son and I have driven back roads with the top down listening to rock and roll until the wee houurs of the ayem... stopped for a heart attack on a plate, and gone home happy.

My 13 Y.O. Joanna loves to go out riding. We put the top down, she'll bring a book, and we'll just cruise on down a curvy Ohio back road, having fun.What better way to pass the love of cars to your boys? Knowing you, I'd have to say love of cars is one of the biggest parts of your life. Pass it on to your boys. They will remember that Camaro and the times they had with dad.

Chris

Edited by 66Stang

All right, 66, you are hereby banned from this thread {claps hands twice, and with authority}.

I was looking for some guidance, but the flurry of car ideas you're launching, plus their respecitve justifications, is making my head spin! :smilewide:

LAST DAMNED THING I need is another project car- I'm already pondering letting 1 (of 3) go right now. If I had 'frivolous car money', I'd hire a limo to commute Camino's ass over here daily to finish the Buick.

The F-150 sits outside anyway.

I really like Ford trucks, but their cars don't do much for me until we get pre-war.

>>"can't be talked into a Sienna"<<

I'm not sure a toyota is worth my time to swing a sledgehammer at (bet I could put a sledge thru the roof with one swing, too).

My sons are 15 (5'8") & 12- not exactly in 'baby buckets' anymore.

Challenger V6? I know you appreciated the styling, especially out back as I recall, with the lack of a deep cutout for the trunk like so many cars have these days. :P

You and Camino have Ruined me. I'm starting to love the new Challenger.

But I like B5 blue better than the dark blue.

Chris

...all right, I'll shut up.

But your F-150 called and said 2LT in Red with an Automatic for a Camaro.

And your older son wants Slipknot, linken park, Green Day, Korn, and then Tool, in that order for your first father-son cruise.

Just don't forget to open the sunroof in the Camaro when you get beyond the city lights. A star filled sky and a Camaro is pure majic.

Chris

The Challenger has the benefit of having usable backseats too.

Okay, I have a Mustang handle and I'm on a GM forum...but let me corrupt you some more.

I agree with DF. Challenger has a much better back seat. Plus what the auto rags won't tell you...it is a much better car out on the interstate tan the Camaro or Mustang, neither of which are bad...but the Challenger will be a better road car.

Plus, the Challenger will be more real world wife friendly. You'll not enjoy the tight back seat of the Mustang after the novelty wears off, and one of the Camaro's few downsides is visibility.

The Challenger just strikes me as more wife friendly.

Chris

stay away from the G6 it is so below the Malibu. If you are going to go epsilon, only a Malibu is good enough.

He's just flat out right on this balthazar. The Malibu just owns the ass of everything else on the market.

It's enough to make ME buy a normal car.

Chris

Okay, I have a Mustang handle and I'm on a GM forum...but let me corrupt you some more.

I agree with DF. Challenger has a much better back seat. Plus what the auto rags won't tell you...it is a much better car out on the interstate tan the Camaro or Mustang, neither of which are bad...but the Challenger will be a better road car.

Plus, the Challenger will be more real world wife friendly. You'll not enjoy the tight back seat of the Mustang after the novelty wears off, and one of the Camaro's few downsides is visibility.

The Challenger just strikes me as more wife friendly.

Chris

Well not quite, the rags to mention that the Challenger's ride and cruiser style is a weakness and a strength depending on what your style is.

Unlike the busier-riding Mustang, the Challenger smoothes over the road: a Karen Carpenter lyric to the Ford's power chord. With its ridiculously tall 6th gear, it's just the thing for, say, an impromptu road trip from Denver to San Francisco. Kowalski would approve of this Challenger.

Well not quite, the rags to mention that the Challenger's ride and cruiser style is a weakness and a strength depending on what your style is.

I really want to do the road trip from Denver to San Francisco. In a white Challenger. I've done the reverse--sort of--San Jose to Denver in an '04 Impala. Not the same.

Rob

stay away from the G6 it is so below the Malibu. If you are going to go epsilon, only a Malibu is good enough.

He's just flat out right on this balthazar. The Malibu just owns the ass of everything else on the market.

It's enough to make ME buy a normal car.

Chris

Don't let people that don't own a car steer you away from it. If you're considering a Malbu, it won't hurt to consider a G6 too. Of course the Malibu has a more upscale interior - the damn thing got a whole new look for 2008 and the G6 was looked over. I like the clean-look of the G6 interior just fine and the whole car does the job asked of it without hesitation. Since I washed, waxed, and detailed my wife's G6 two weeks ago, it's getting constant looks everywhere we go with it. The Meguairs NXT Generation 2.0 wax worked great and after several rain storms the car still shines like the day I waxed it. Stopped at the bank today - wife went in - and a car full of 18-to-20-ish something males pulled around the car and checked it out. Four other men checked it out on the way into the bank and a lady parked next to me said, "what a great looking car!" I see tons - TONS - of G6s on the roadways in my travels. They can't be such a horrible car if a lot of people are driving them (and I don't want to hear how they're all rentals either!). The Malibu is great for what it is, but if you want something slighty "different", then the G6 offers almost the same stuff as the Malibu but in a different wrapper. Plus your wife can choose from a coupe, sedan, or hard-top convertible :AH-HA_wink: