Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Car shoppin' time!

The G6 is a cool car, I just like the Malibu better.

IIRC in several threads I believe I've said that I'd consider a G6 Hardtop Convertible as a family convertible, since we like convertibles.

But methinks balthazar needs to think Challenger.

Chris

Yeah but the G6 has been a problem child too, I know at least a couple members on this very site had issues with them. I haven't really heard about any issues with the Malibu.

I had issues with both of them, back to back, BUT still highly recommend both, our '08 'Bu makes smiles, and I'd even buy another if shopping for this type of car again, no doubt.

Malibu, '10 Equinox, Camaro, G6, G8 V6, Aura, hmm...there's quite a few in the GM fold I think would work and that I would DEFINITELY drive, price out, etc. With the deals, plus your card cash, etc., hard to beat any of them.

Did a cursory dealership sweep earlier tonight.

F-L-M dealer :: Fusion got good reaction, Edge is nice but too wide for the garage (no power fold mirrors). Escape/Mariner were thumbs down. No FLex's other than a huge poster- thumbs down.

Oh, and she really liked the Mustang converts, silver or the dark red like her '87 was.... but the stickers are round $35K. Not gonna happen.

B-P-GMC dealer :: quick drive thru- no G8s on the lot (inventory there is shockingly low). Didn't check the G6 this time. Solstice was a 'no'- too small.

Cadillac/Chevy dealer :: Had a ton of Malibus- all trims & powertrains- this got a big thumbs up. Had 2 '10 Equinox's- also strong interest there. No Camaros.

Ah- and strong reaction to the CTS, too- they had quite a few, including a number of AWD versions. Needless to say $$$ ($40K)

B-P-GMC was open, but the other 2 were closed, which was slightly weird; they're all under the same ownership.

Malibu & '10 'nox are the initial front-runners at the moment.

Will return asap to start some test driving, still have to wander over to the ChryCo dealer...

Yeah but the G6 has been a problem child too, I know at least a couple members on this very site had issues with them. I haven't really heard about any issues with the Malibu.

caddycruiser's G6 coupe had some drivetrain problems and was bought back as a lemon; Walt's G6 GT Sedan had issues too, mainly with the panoramic sunroof (to which I know personally of one other, and it seemed to be a common problem) - GM remedied this by discontinuing the panoramic sunroof on all 2007 G6's and early-build 2007 AURAs.

My dad's '06 G6 V6 Sedan has had no mechanical or drivetrain issues in his 3 years of ownership (aproximately 45,xxx miles). My wife's car has had two warranty issues fixed in the last year - both interior trim pieces. Where I work, there are Malibus (more of the '04-'07 and a few '08-'09), G6s (mostly '05-'07s), and AURAs are starting to show up (mine was the lone wolf for a while). Of these owners, none have had any major issues (breakdowns, mechanical, etc) and most have had trouble-free experiences with their Epsilon-based cars.

To each their own, but I'm getting pretty tired of the G6 put-downs around here - especially by people that have never personally owned one.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry about the rant - back on topic... balthazar - sounds like you didn't get to drive anything today, but you got to see an eye full. I always enjoy car shopping when I know I'm going to buy something ASAP. If incentives were better for me (too bad I missed all the great incentives that expired on July 6th) I'd be looking into a loaded Pontiac G8 V6 Sedan right now. My selling BPG dealership sent me another sales incentive letter, this time offering the option to see if I'm the winner of a brand-new 2009 Pontiac Solstice. Maybe on Monday I'll go take a ride and see what incentives I qualify for on that G8... :scratchchin:

Edited by GMTruckGuy74

Did a cursory dealership sweep earlier tonight.

F-L-M dealer :: Fusion got good reaction, Edge is nice but too wide for the garage (no power fold mirrors). Escape/Mariner were thumbs down. No FLex's other than a huge poster- thumbs down.

Oh, and she really liked the Mustang converts, silver or the dark red like her '87 was.... but the stickers are round $35K. Not gonna happen.

B-P-GMC dealer :: quick drive thru- no G8s on the lot (inventory there is shockingly low). Didn't check the G6 this time. Solstice was a 'no'- too small.

Cadillac/Chevy dealer :: Had a ton of Malibus- all trims & powertrains- this got a big thumbs up. Had 2 '10 Equinox's- also strong interest there. No Camaros.

Ah- and strong reaction to the CTS, too- they had quite a few, including a number of AWD versions. Needless to say $$$ ($40K)

B-P-GMC was open, but the other 2 were closed, which was slightly weird; they're all under the same ownership.

Malibu & '10 'nox are the initial front-runners at the moment.

Will return asap to start some test driving, still have to wander over to the ChryCo dealer...

I think you'll wind up with a Bu, which is great, it is a fine car.

Chris

I'm saying G8, Camaro, Charger, 300C, or Challenger. :AH-HA_wink:

And your older son wants Slipknot, linken park, Green Day, Korn, and then Tool, in that order for your first father-son cruise.

Just as a heads-up, out of all those bands, Tool is the only one worth listening to in my opinion. They write well-constructed albums and progressive, interesting songs.

Edited by YellowJacket894

All sewn up, deposit laid down - that didn't take long, did it ??

On what? And were you able to/did you go the route of trading in your F150 for cash for clunkers and then also trade in your wife's GP?

All sewn up, deposit laid down - that didn't take long, did it ??

Enjoy your new Malibu and sorry to see that happen to your old F150.

Post pics when the Malibu is home.

Chris

I don't know you, but you seem to be even more practical than me about purchasing things and making them last.

I'd follow the "red dots" on Consumer Reports. I think the Malibu comes up favorably and will serve your needs for a long time. However, the more I see G8s on the road, the more I think that is the best looking GM car out there at this time and stickers for under $28K in base V6/no-options-needed form. I think white is great for the G8, but the "metallic bicycle blue" is also fantastic for this vehicle.

However, right now, if I was actually buying, I could easily be steered into a Milan/Fusion with the 4 cyl. and some nice options...or into the 2010 Taurus, which is stunning and a huge leap forward for FoMoCo. I think Ford has the mid-size sport sedan niche cornered at this time, as much as I hate to admit that.

:lol: @ 66stang !!!

-- -- -- -- --

'09 Malibu 2LT, 4-cyl, 6-spd w/ TapShift, ebony leather/suede interior, some sort of red jewel metallic, aluminum rims, nicely equipped. Pick-up is Friday- will have some pics by the weekend. Options really aren't in question; the whole 1LS, 1LT, 2LT, etc thing pretty much nails it.

MSRP : 25,5xx

'Supplier price' : -500

rebate : -2,000

GM card : -1,900

'Clunker' : -4,500

So, we're looking at $2500 off sticker, decent, right? plus $1900 from my GM card- $4400 off. No other GMs match the MSRP range and get the same MPG (22/30). Aura is roughly $1.5K more. Equinox is 2.5K more and 3MPG less. If I'm over @ the Ford dealer (Fusion did look tight)- kiss the $1900 goodbye. Wife didn't care for anything @ Chrysler/Dodge.

We did check into the Challenger/Camaro situation, but their combined MPGs are around 20- a decent way off of 26 and down 3 from the GP. Challenger starts @ $27K, too. Same basic price level for the G8.

Back to the figuring: add the $4500 on top and we're @ $16,600 for a brand new Malibu. On top of that, I'm hoping to get $2K privately on the $2600 KBB price for the '03 GP, which makes the 'bu $14,600 (before taxes/fees).

Looked at everything in the class online and placing budget & MPG as priorities, there was little other direction to go in.... NOT that I feel that we 'settled' in the least- the car is a eye-catcher in & out, I'm reassured by the reviews & feedback, but the total deal was something we'll never likely see again.

As much as I think the C4C bill is misguided & ineffectual... like I stated in the 'what if it doesn't get better' thread; I am out for #1 in these times, and I figure that $4500 is money that has already (or soon will be) been taken from me.

Great car, great deal. My mother is 18 months and about 18k miles into her '08 2LT 4-cyl and loves it. I think, 1 or 2 dealer visits, but just minor stuff and the car is rock solid and 100% noise, vibration, etc. free. The 2LT suede is great, the interior rocks, and it's so ethereal smooth and quiet BUT without being soft or floaty...very nice. You'll enjoy it. Our only complaint is that ours isn't a 6-speed car, because the benefit in overall performance and fuel mileage is very notable. Oh well.

Good choice, again :AH-HA_wink:

Yeah- similar.

Nevermindthat... Bloody Hell !! ; the late newsfeed is the C4C program is suspended ! WTF- can the MFing government run ANYTHING with even a pretense of competency ??? This whole deal may be suspended or off totally- our paperwork was to be finalized tomm.

Guess where I'll be a half-hour before opening tomm with clenched fists (not directed at the dealer) ?

Edited by balthazar

Yeah- similar.

Nevermindthat... Bloody Hell !! ; the late newsfeed is the C4C program is suspended ! WTF- can the MFing government run ANYTHING with even a pretense of competency ??? This whole deal may be suspended or off totally- our paperwork was to be finalized tomm.

Guess where I'll be @ 9AM tomm with clenched fists (not directed at the dealer) ?

Looks like it is...hmm.

Transactions that "have been taken place to date will be honored" - but unless the program is refunded, looks like the $1B has already been gobbled up...

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2009-0...suspended_N.htm

This is what happens, yet again, when there's an idea, a rush to get it out, and then--surprise--not the REAL answer as to paying for it.

Health care rush job anyone? Who knows. Then again, I hope the people who wanted new cars and really had terrible clunkers got their new rides, and for the rest, hopefully this will keep many worthy rides alive and either sold privately, parted out, or--gasp--driven cheaply with just gas and maintenance for more time to come.

The articles make NO sense. Program would fund 250,000 transactions. # approved by "late Wednesday": 22,xxx. That's less than 1/25th of the budget- they're NOT out of money; they just don't have any idea how much they've spent as of 'late Thursday' !!

Already angry this included foreign vehicles.... now volcanic.

I think the loads of bad press and the fact that even people that are 100% out of touch with the automotive industry know where the money is going. She said to me today when I told her cash for clunkers was done "well i guess people won't be able to get big discounts on Hyundais and toyotas anymore" that is quite telling that maybe they didn't do this program right.

So the worry assumedly is: that MORE than 227,500 transactions are 'in the pipeline'. Latest word from the White House is the program is NOT suspended. GD idiots on the hill !!

BTW- salesman said RE the program: they hate it. Tons of paperwork, dealership was forced to buy some sort of expensive scanner (for WHAT ??) from the Gov., a total PITA.

First thing 9am this morning, manager via salesman tells me it's no problem- they'll date the paperwork for Wednesday. :rolleyes:

Latest news is that the program is NOT suspended, just "under review".

Off to strip my F-150 down to a rolling chassis with a lawn chair bolted on.... :wink:

Glad to see things working out, mr Balthazar!

Hopefully you and Mrs. balthazar can "break in" the new Malibu while it is in the garage and the boys are sleeping! (just kidding...sort of.)

Good luck to you!

Chris

I think mine is from the era of F-Series w/ Cruise-Fire, but my truck had no cruise. XL-Special: options: RR step bumper, AM-FM...... umm..... :scratchchin:

I took good pics of it before I stripped it, but I have to sneak over tomm and get an 'after' pic or 2. Mine was the only one that looked the part of a 'clunker'. Will post pics/details tomm.

Deal went down fine, there's an '09 Malibu 2LT in the driveway right now. Waitaminnit- the wife has it out again!

Pics tomm.