Followers 0
Variance

2007 Toyota Tundra Breaks Cover

8 posts in this topic

Link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...rticleId=107016

2007 Toyota Tundra Breaks Cover
By: Ed Hellwig

Date Posted 08-25-2005

It's no secret that Toyota is gearing up to build an all-new version of its Tundra pickup, but these are the first shots of a prototype in action. Based on the FTX concept truck that debuted in Detroit a year and a half ago, the 2007 Toyota Tundra is set to go on sale by the end of 2006.

Although the concept truck was almost cartoonish in its size and shape, this prototype looks more like a typical full-size truck. Visible styling cues up front include a horizontal bar grille and substantial bulges in the hood. The rest of the truck's profile looks similar to the recently redesigned Tacoma midsize truck except for one notable difference. One look at the profile shot reveals what appears to be a crew cab of mammoth proportions — or should we say "megacab" proportions. It could be a result of a clever disguise, but the rear door looks as big, if not bigger than the front doors.

In order to move this mountain of a truck, Toyota is expected to up the displacement of the Tundra's V8 to as much as 5.4 liters. Power should be comparable to current offerings from the Big Three and Nissan, so figure horsepower in the 300-350 range and similar torque numbers.

Toyota is in the process of constructing an $850 million plant right in the heart of truck country — San Antonio, Texas — in order to build the 2007 Tundra. The company is anticipating higher annual sales numbers compared to the current Tundra as it has already upped the capacity from 150,000 to 200,000 units a year since breaking ground at the facility in 2003.

See link for spy shots.

I can't really see much of anything in that pic to judge it, but there are some oddly-placed bulges that may just be due to the camo. I'm still trying to figure out what's going on with that cab...it's huge. The wheel wells also both look to be different shapes. I'll wait to judge it until better spy pics come out.

That cab does look huge and the rear door appears bigger than the frontdoor, like Toyota's version of the Ram Mega Cab. Hopefully GM comes up with something like a Mega Cab if sales start to pick up for the "huge crew cab" truck market.

I hate these mega-cammo'd pics: they're useless. Looks to me like a lot of false paneling on the truck, especially behind the rear door. What possible reason could there be for such a disproportionally huge rear door?? Because if the cut lines are accurate- it really looks awkward. And if the roofline is correct, the bed must be all of 3 feet long. :lol:

if you ask me , all they did was get real creative with new camo tricks, they totally extended the rear door camo to go well past the rear door and on into the bed of the truck, you can see under the rear windows, the rear door handle buldge's, and the cut slots are phoney for the rear door handle's ! and they aint gonna make a 3 foot bed, also all that camo over the bed is just that false camo, probably more like a 5.5 foot bed on a double cab. imho.

I think you're right CarPenter: I thought that bulge might be the handle. Door is WAY too long as it appears to be.

It looks like a pile of big black dog shit. Then again, it is a Toyota. I'm surprised there's no "Hybrid" badge on the camo.....(yet)....damn idiots.

In order to move this mountain of a truck, Toyota is expected to up the displacement of the Tundra's V8 to as much as 5.4 liters. Power should be comparable to current offerings from the Big Three and Nissan, so figure horsepower in the 300-350 range and similar torque numbers.

Big deal, the rest have had 300+ (hell, 400+) hp for years. Why does Toyota think they can edge themselves more market share by just matching what everybody else has done. I'll say the same thing about GM and several of it's cars: it's not good enough to just match everybody else when you are trying to add marketshare. You need to out-do them -- usually in several areas.

Take a look at the current Tundra (go ahead, it doesn't hurt (much)). It's 4.7l gets average (for a truck) gas mileage. Virtually every other truck builder on the planet offers more hp and torque. Add in the fact that it appears to be 3/4 (at best 7/8) the size of everybody's else offerings and you've got yourself one dog of a truck.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0