Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Mad Men: Bob Lutz "Craps All Over" GM Ad Campaigns, Flies To Caribbean

25 posts in this topic

Mad Men: Bob Lutz "Craps All Over" GM Ad Campaigns, Flies To Caribbean

AdAge reports GM's Bob "Maximum Marketing" Lutz "crapped all over" ad campaigns earlier this month, then jetted off to the Caribbean for vacation, leaving ad shops behind quaking in their urine-soiled undergarments. Awesome, it's like an episode of Mad Men!

more at link:

http://jalopnik.com/5323673/mad-men-bob-lu...es-to-caribbean

and

GM Shops Sweat as Lutz Sunbathes in Caribbean:

DETROIT (AdAge.com) -- GM's new marketing top gun, Bob Lutz, met with the automaker's brand teams on July 14, spent 10 to 20 minutes critiquing the work for each brand and, in the words of someone in the know, "crapped all over the advertising." Then he jetted off to the Caribbean island of Montserrat on holiday, leaving some scared individuals in his wake.

That's left GM's ad agencies on tenterhooks in anticipation of more-in-depth reviews this week of current and upcoming ads with Vice Chairman Lutz and each of the company's four core U.S. vehicle brand teams. The shops are also fretting that Mr. Lutz -- given his history of "design bake-offs," where he threw out projects to a group of designers and chose the best work -- might do the same with creative work on Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC.

more at link:

http://adage.com/article?article_id=138137

Good, GM advertising needs to be better, find new ways to reach the customers, and get people interested in visiting the dealer.

This is great news to hear. GM's ads have been terrible since forever. That new Buick ad was awful. I hope he made them crap their pants, maybe they'll finally produce ads that won't suck.

Very good indeed.

GM ads have sucked for a very long time.

Now i wholeheartedly agree with you except the last Chevy adds with the 'nox, rav, crv, the whole series the 'bu even I think Colbalt . They were dumping the competition into the basement :lol: I think that 's where they should go with the new ads, then follow up with the warm & fuzzy with the highlights of equipment and why you'd want the product :twocents:

GM ads don't build brand image or make the car look cool and like something you really want. GM ads focus on how cheap the car is and how big the rebate is in hoping the consumer will buy the deal, not the car.

I was going to mention the incentives and the financing, but I don't know if that is more to blame on the dealer associations with their advertisements and not corporate?

Dear GM,

This works,

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Wow... 40mpg hwy ;)

Wow... 40mpg hwy ;)

Old EPA rating system. Although cars now aren't doing much better in mileage than cars of 10-20 years ago since todays cars are so much heavier, and more powerful.

go get em Bob! GM ads have never focused on elevating the car. through music, through attraction, through dramatic lighting, through great scenery. there are never ads from GM that I notice for appreciation. ads from toyo, honda, mercedes, bmw....all good.

Good advertising should be able to sell a polished turd.

GM has not had good advertising since around 1970. I rember that adds where they had a CHevelle SS with ropes holding down. Or the one with the GTO, GS, SS and 442 in a 4 car garage and if I recall just said choices.

We have only had a few good ads in the last few years like the TA ads form the last gen that were aggresive and the old bad to the bone GN ads of the 1980's.

Image is everything You can build great cars and best styled but only have it wasted due to poor or no marketing. On the other hand companies like Honda can build a not too stylish car with a good rep and market it to the top.

Bobs comments should have come years ago long before he ever came here. I like what he is doing with the cars and can't wait to see what marketing we will finally get.

GOOD!

I do agree the Cadillac bits are a tad dark but I still think they're ok... Nonetheless I always liked these more 'lifestyle-focused' ads for the DTS and some of the "Modernista!" spots

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyYq4_3fw2s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0PiINfDxP4

There was NO excuse for the Buick photoshoot ads... they are stupendously bad and a little scary.

Dear President Obama,

Please fire Bob Lutz.

- The American Tax Payer.

facepalm.jpg

It's hard to get excited about this... what happens when Fritz cuts all of Lutz's ads? Will Lutz even have desirable cars to market?

Wow- dismissively lumping "all" GM ads together in one 40-year bundle and proclaiming them "crap" displays about as analysis as our beloved lawmakers give to the bills they never read.

Plenty of very good, image-laden & image-building spots for GM product over recent years. The links above, plus some of the others seen via those links.

Someone post the 'amazing' ads that have folk flocking to the 'successful' makes, ala toyota or honda (whom seems to enjoy making thier customers look stupid to a mild degree).

My primary issue with GM ads is the frequency- very low frequency.

But just as with any other make/corp- a bunch of very good ads, a bunch of lousy ads.

Dear President Obama,

Please fire Bob Lutz.

- The American Tax Payer.

facepalm.jpg

I mean really, smk contributed a more intelligent post. smk!

Do we really need to be privy to everything that happens behind the scenes at GM? While I support Bob Lutz wholeheartedly, these soap opera articles really seem unnecessary. I'd rather see results from the outside than hear every little detail from the inside on how those results were arrived upon. I want to see the new ads when they are ready.

We don't read articles like this about other car companies... do we really think no other corporate executives ever lambaste their ad agencies?

I don't know, I'm just a bit squeamish with all this transparency. It could backfire on GM.

Do we really need to be privy to everything that happens behind the scenes at GM? While I support Bob Lutz wholeheartedly, these soap opera articles really seem unnecessary. I'd rather see results from the outside than hear every little detail from the inside on how those results were arrived upon. I want to see the new ads when they are ready.

We don't read articles like this about other car companies... do we really think no other corporate executives ever lambaste their ad agencies?

I don't know, I'm just a bit squeamish with all this transparency. It could backfire on GM.

I don't think this news is anything GM approved. Right now GM is news and people print anything or any quote anyone says.

GM has not made any offical product info known. The only real thing GM officals had stated were the Lutz thoughts on the Caprice and Fritz counter to it. Other than that nothing very important has been anounced. Accept the CTS V coupe.

As for the adverstising bash someone inside upset stated this and it was not an offical release. Nor were there any great details on where they are going with this.

THe changes are happening now and by fall the plans should be in place. By that point they should all be on one pace and give us better details on where they are going.

This is not so much transparency as it is living under the press microscope.

The bottom line here is GM has some great product and has even more coming soon. The key is to give people a clear and entertaining view of it so they really know what GM is doing. To this point much of GM's marketing has been very effective nor has it been done for a lenght of time that would ensure it to be instilled in the thoughs and minds of people to change their preceptions to at least give them a look.

Case in point. The Satun marketing has been this is a Saturn? Nice start but they seldom detailed any models. THey would show some clueless shopper looking at the cars and a Saturn sales rep saying we are getting a lot of that lately. What about the cars? Too few people I have met never knew about the Astra. THey see the coupe and tell me they like that car what was it? Aura with enough marketing would have sold better as it is even their best seller did not meet levels of sales it sould have.

Pontiac sales for the most were about the rebates on the G6 but did little to promote the positives on the car. The G 8 got a limited run of it on a Hot Wheels track but really never sold the car. It did not give it image.

GM marketing has done little to enhance the ideas and fact to promote the improvemnt of new models and little to promote the Image of the cars. THe CTS marketing was the best but not good enough.

Where did the Malibu marketing go it had a good start but it vanished. THe Cobalt SS and HHR SS where very well recieved by the press but neither were marketed and most were unknow outside a few that read the short stories on them in the press. The model were made not so much to make money but to enhance the image of the entire line up. It went no where.

The only good marketing of late were some of the Howie Long spots. It is a good for pointing out facts and education but Chevy need more than that. They needed a follow up spot to enhance the image.

Once GM gets to the point people really know what kind of cars the new product is then they can put paint squiters on the tires and do donuts or drive in darkl tunnels but for now they need to do better.

Before anyone condems Bob on this lets see what they do in the next few months. It is kind of hard to condem what you do not know. I think he will suprise many.

Marketing is to educate and build image and GM has done litte of each of late even on their best product. The spots need to be compelling to make you take a look. The Buick spot does little to make you want to look.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0