Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Midsize, compact are central to Buick brand

9 posts in this topic

Buick's future began to come into focus this week as reports surfaced about two key new models.

In addition to the slick new 2010 LaCrosse sedan that goes on sale shortly, it looks like Buick will add a smaller midsize sedan in about 18 months and a compact car sometime after that.

Buick needs to bolster its product line fast. The Toyota Prius alone outsold the entire Buick brand in 2008. Buick's model line currently consists of the aging Lucerne large sedan and the Enclave crossover SUV.

The 2011 Buick Regal midsize sedan will be several inches shorter and several thousands dollars less expensive than the roomy LaCrosse, Automotive News reported.

LaCrosse prices start at $27,135 and run up to about $42,000 for a model loaded with all-wheel drive, dual-screen rear video and other features.

That's not enough to support the brand, however, and GM needs Buick to offset some of the sales it will lose when Pontiac closes and Saturn becomes independent.

MORE AT THE LINK:

http://www.freep.com/article/20090726/COL1...-to-Buick-brand

Looks like Lincoln and Mercury are also working in the same direction.

I exoect many of the luxury makes to be offering cars smaller than we ever considered in the future. The CAFe standard is going to be tough to make with the big cars. I would hate to be a product planner right now.

Looks like Lincoln and Mercury are also working in the same direction.

I exoect many of the luxury makes to be offering cars smaller than we ever considered in the future. The CAFe standard is going to be tough to make with the big cars. I would hate to be a product planner right now.

Like how BMW, Audi, Lexus, and Mercedes all offer cars smaller than a Cobalt and have for years? It is only the American car companies that think Luxury = Size, so any nice car is 200 inches long and 4,000 pounds. I don't see why they didn't do a CTS level interior and equipment list on a car of Cobalt size about 10 years ago. Even still it seems like they are 5 years away from it.

This is a logical move for Buick, the LaCrosse is a large car, and large cars are not a growth segment, so it makes sense to add midsize and small and kill the Lucerne off. Although if the Regal is thousands less, that makes it about a $23,000 car and basically is replacing the Saturn Aura and competing with the Malibu. If Buick is premium, a Delta Buick should cost as much as a Malibu, and Regal about $27-30k.

Like how BMW, Audi, Lexus, and Mercedes all offer cars smaller than a Cobalt and have for years? It is only the American car companies that think Luxury = Size, so any nice car is 200 inches long and 4,000 pounds. I don't see why they didn't do a CTS level interior and equipment list on a car of Cobalt size about 10 years ago. Even still it seems like they are 5 years away from it.

This is a logical move for Buick, the LaCrosse is a large car, and large cars are not a growth segment, so it makes sense to add midsize and small and kill the Lucerne off. Although if the Regal is thousands less, that makes it about a $23,000 car and basically is replacing the Saturn Aura and competing with the Malibu. If Buick is premium, a Delta Buick should cost as much as a Malibu, and Regal about $27-30k.

Last I checked, the new LaCrosse was a midsize, not a large.

Also,

Cobalt 180.3"

Lexus IS 180.3"

Lexus ES 191.3"

Mercedes C-class 182.3"

Mercedes E-class 184.9"

So, Lexus nor Mercedes makes a car smaller than the Cobalt. BMW makes the 1-series, but last I read that's bombing here.

I guess big doesn't sell, you're right. The 205" S-class is doing HORRIBLY!

I for one certainly have NEVER considered a 318, 323, or C-Class coupe to be luxurious. They are, at best, very expensive, RWD, Honda CRXes... but certainly not luxurious.

Even the $33k BMW 328 with "leatherette" 230hp is nothing more than a fancy VW Jetta that you get to pay a 10k premium for just to have RWD.

Last I checked, the new LaCrosse was a midsize, not a large.

Also,

Cobalt 180.3"

Lexus IS 180.3"

Lexus ES 191.3"

Mercedes C-class 182.3"

Mercedes E-class 184.9"

So, Lexus nor Mercedes makes a car smaller than the Cobalt. BMW makes the 1-series, but last I read that's bombing here.

I guess big doesn't sell, you're right. The 205" S-class is doing HORRIBLY!

The A4 used to be 180 inches long too, but it grew and the C-class grew a little. That 180-184 inch length is a big segment, and lots of luxury cars of that size do well. GM, Ford and Chrysler all ignored that segment for years. I am not saying get out of big cars, GM should make one in each brand, but that is enough, and rear drive is better for a 200+ inch long car than fwd is. The 2010 LaCrosse is 197 inches long, an Lexus LS460 is 198 inches long, the Buick is a pretty big car. Buick doesn't really need a car bigger than the LaCrosse.

Astra, Insignia, Antara + LaCrosse, Enclave

Pretty good lineup for Buick IMHO

Its about damn time I've been saying this since 2004! Buick's been needing to get into the other segments of the modern premium automobile-now speed that compact crossover SUV up while we're at it!

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0