Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Time to start trolling the lots for...

Agrred, 'blu. We live right down the road from the Ohio Auto Auction, the larget auto auction in Ohio. There is a car lot at the corner where I stop and kick tires once in awhile.

A twenty year old Cadillac is still held together better than a 2 year old Kia.

Hyundai has made some progress, but if you ask me toyota and Honda have regressed, and Nissan "never was all that" to begin with.

BTW, even a MUCH nicer cadillac than the white one with spray paint at my Local Hyundai dealer.

Chris

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The cash for clunkers stupidity is also adding to the stigmata of the USA

being full of wasteful, consumerist-on-crack, fat, lazy irresponsible dolts.

It def. does portray us as wasteful and borderline idiotic.

"Rondo World" ??? I'm speechless. <_<

I'm very angry at import dealerships who will use this program to taunt the domestic manufacturers. Every Kia (right off the showroom floor) qualifies as a clunker in the true sense of the word, imho.

FIXED

Look at the red sign above the molested deVille....

it says: "WELCOME TO RONDO WORLD!"

As if the Rondo was some elegant flagship to be proud of :rolleyes:

A white Cadillac just like the spray painted one showed up at (where else?) my local Hyundai dealer.

Along with:

Suburban in near perfect shape

blue on blue extended cab Dakota 4wd Truck, nice

A fullsize Dodge 4WD Ext. cab, maroon, clean

Another Amazing Grand Cheorkee

And too much else to mention.

Hernnstein, the local Hyundai peoiple, claimed in Thursdays paper to have taken in over 80 cars. I believe it. Overflow lot is full, bact i full, side lot is full.

One saving grace-a bunch of Honda Pilots and Isuzu Rodeos.

Sadly, another nice 2 door Cutty also showed up on the dead line.

All of those people...owners of a new Hyundai!

Amazing.

Chris

Can I play Captain Obvious in my rant here?

Hyundai sucks.

The Genesis coupe is only good for making me limp, honestly. The credentials are right as gospel but the styling ... no, I could never love the styling.

Whoever trades a Cutty Supreme Classic in for an Elantra needs to have their balls removed.

It does just suck doesn't it, YJ?

The world is now safe for the Sante Fe Crosssover.

Meaning Hyundai can sell more cars because people will forget what a real car is like.

Chris

It does just suck doesn't it, YJ?

The world is now safe for the Sante Fe Crossover.

Meaning Hyundai can sell more cars because people will forget what a real car is like.

Chris

"Just" suck? Well, no actually. I have far uglier words in my vocabulary I could have used.

As far as people knowing what a real car is like, I don't think 3/4 of the American public has known what a real car is like for the past two decades plus.

I would love to see that salesman's car "accidentally" picked up and crushed by the same truck. What a smug bastard.

you know, as i sit here watching this cheesy mo-fo chuckling with his yard sale special microphone, what look to be knock off ray bans, his nappy comb-over hair style failing epically to cover the growing patch of bare scalp, with his yellowed looking teeth, i have to wonder. did his mother hug him enough as a child? did whilst casually riding down the sidewalk back in 1964 in his stroller mom and dad hand in hand, a beastly snarling 425 buick or GS shamelessly and threateningly catch first second and third gears at the intersection they were near. maybe in college someone in a nasty foreboding GN punked him out in a stoplight drag, causing his then fiance to leave him for said buick driver... who knows what grudge this confused man has, but one thing is sure, the buyers of his cars wont have to worry about crushing their hondas... they will rust away on their own, or in the case of the latest news i heard, kill their owners in the event of an accident by hurling metal shards though the occupants inside. nope, you cant get that in your fathers' buick, or even the ones that arent your fathers buick.

Hopefully the new Kias are lemons. Like I said in another thread here it should have been worded that the replacement has to be from the big 3. Support our economy. Not sending the money to foreign countries. They could have done 2 things at once with that.But no they had to be single tracked like always.

Rodeos, okay, but Pilots? Even the oldest 2003's have trade/private values way above the max C4C credit...something doesn't sound right.

Did I mention brain fade? I meant Passport, sorry!

That Isuzu based SUV Honda brought out in the 90's...THAT one...

Chris

Mint silver final generation Buick Roadmaster Sedan... At the local TOYOTA dealer, I am so PISSED. I came home swearing everyword in the book...

I just ran an errand with my wife and I drove through the lot at Toyota West. About 65 cars, mostly domestic.

Including a silver Aurora, a Bonneville SSEI (in that really nice dark green on tan combo GM had for these cars) and a couple really nice trucks. What does Toyota offer that even comes close to an Aurora?

Black Monte 2 door at the Honda dealer next door. Honda dealer has 40+ ca, all but 2 are domestic. Also decent black Lincoln Mark 8 two door.

VW dealer across the street has a similar number of cars, as does the Kia dealer. Actually the Kia dealer is prob. closer to 30.

But the Kia dealer does have a really nice second gen S-10 Blazer two door, blue clean 4x4.

Ohhh, and LOTS more Jeeps. I'm actually really proud that so many Ohio built vehicles have served their owners that well and that long. Lots of these jeeps are high mile utnits and seem to be doing fine. Also amazed that so many Jeep owners are trading foreign.

Chris

I just ran an errand with my wife and I drove through the lot at Toyota West. About 65 cars, mostly domestic.

Including a silver Aurora, a Bonneville SSEI (in that really nice dark green on tan combo GM had for these cars) and a couple really nice trucks. What does Toyota offer that even comes close to an Aurora?

Black Monte 2 door at the Honda dealer next door. Honda dealer has 40+ ca, all but 2 are domestic. Also decent black Lincoln Mark 8 two door.

VW dealer across the street has a similar number of cars, as does the Kia dealer. Actually the Kia dealer is prob. closer to 30.

But the Kia dealer does have a really nice second gen S-10 Blazer two door, blue clean 4x4.

Ohhh, and LOTS more Jeeps. I'm actually really proud that so many Ohio built vehicles have served their owners that well and that long. Lots of these jeeps are high mile utnits and seem to be doing fine. Also amazed that so many Jeep owners are trading foreign.

Chris

You should see the blacklash here...it looks like quite a few people are pissed at GM and company...

Local Kia dealership has 50+ cars...ALL of them domestic. Many minivans, dodge trucks (including a nice 01 and 02) and quite a few GM cars.....sad.

This is sad sad.. I still have this odd feeling a lot of these people will regret this decision. I just cannot see giving up interior room, luxury features and more for something compact, has less features. The only trade off is better gas mileage if that.

That Cadillac was spray painted. That was worse than that Aurora video that was killed.

They said today they still may run out of money and this program may be stopped.

I am still on this Collectors Edition Roadmaster. Do you realize what someone could have done with that car?

I think these people are caught up with the idea of "getting a new car".

WTF?

Somebody really that dumb?

WOW! I am not a Mustang fan and that is a CRIME right there! An 86-87 5.0 CONVERTIBLE that looks that decent only probably garnered $3500 and will be destroyed? WOW! The question will have to be: What was it traded in on?

And look what is beside it: A Cherokee. EVERY lot that I have looked at has at least 2 of these or more bound for the crusher. Hell, Grand Cherokees are stacking up like cord-wood behind almost every lot around here!

Edited by toesuf94

WOW! I am not a Mustang fan and that is a CRIME right there! An 86-87 5.0 CONVERTIBLE that looks that decent only probably garnered $3500 and will be destroyed? WOW! The question will have to be: What was it traded in on?

And look what is beside it: A Cherokee. EVERY lot that I have looked at has at least 2 of these or more bound for the crusher. Hell, Grand Cherokees are stacking up like cord-wood behind almost every lot around here!

It's too bad...I wouldn't mind a Cherokee...I like the classic ones.

Well, the Clunker Program is in full swing, and I have to tell you: It makes me sick. This is the STUPIDEST thing I think the government has ever wasted our money on, and really decent cars are going to be scrapped because of it. Further, I really think if the government had half a brain, they would have demanded that the trade ins could only be made on a domestic owned lot - Ford - GM - Chrysler - so that the money came back home, not further increase the trade deficits.

THANK YOU! Goddamn crime that Toyota (for example and in particular) gets to benefit from these sales. But I can bet the dealers of the foreign stuff would have made a stink if Washington didn't allow people to get whatever they want. Even crazier is that there are guys buying new gas guzzlers with them too.

And yeah, I don't like seeing ANY totally intact car crushed. Boneyards should be allowed to pick these cars clean...because there is no way they are totally useless.

Guys like that douchey Honda salesman obviously have anti-Detroit issues.

A female friend said that ppl were driving over to her Mercedes dealership with the gall to see if they could pick something up over there. The free for all is a damn shame all the way.

The Hyundais wouldn't piss me off if they were Geneses (yeah, I said that exact word), nor would the Nissans if they were Z cars or even Altima coupes. Even the Venza's only drawback is that it's a Toyota. All the S-eating grins at the idea of sending money off to Japan, Korea, Germany, et al as they proudly deface the entire body of a Cadillac with garish spray paint....smh.

WTF?

Somebody really that dumb?

Actually for some reason Mustang convertibles of the Fox body vintage seem to be loosing out a little bit in the Mustang hobby. There is a salvage yard in georgia called Stangparts or something like that. I've come close to buying a couple of rebuildable cars from them.

They no longer sell convertibles whole as there is little demand for them. At least that's what I was told.

Still sad to see this crushed, along with the Roadmaster, the Aurora, the Cutty's, the Cherokees, etc.

Chris

Actually for some reason Mustang convertibles of the Fox body vintage seem to be loosing out a little bit in the Mustang hobby. There is a salvage yard in georgia called Stangparts or something like that. I've come close to buying a couple of rebuildable cars from them.

They no longer sell convertibles whole as there is little demand for them. At least that's what I was told.

Understandable, there's simply still way too many of them (what, 17 model years worth?) and to keep it funky they aren't all exactly that handsome (non-GT 87-93s don't have that lovely of a front end to them).

I wonder what his opinion is of 94-98/99-04?

Still sad to see this crushed, along with the Roadmaster, the Aurora, the Cutty's, the Cherokees, etc.

Yeah, the owners of especially those goddamn import dealers are taking way too much perverse glee in destroying Detroit iron. Right in the heart of demolition derby country too. See the connection?

His point was that most Mustang owners are building cars for racing (SCCA, on the street, at the strip, whatever) and that only a few people were interested in the ragtops.

He said the same thing about the later cars.

Chris

...and as for the perverse import dealers, I was looking at the linup of 65+++ cars at Toyota West here in Columbus when a Mechanic who was out walking the line had a suggestion.

He suggested that they should parcel the money out to so many rebates per dealer. He said that way the domestics would get their fair share.

Thought it was a good idea.

Chris

It just keeps getting worse and worse...look at this truck they destroy in this video!!!

This looks like sound recycling to me! Toyota Dealer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGfq4IBDVeo...feature=related

And if you need a laugh about the stupidity:

Ok, a bit confused. They didn't hurt the truck....just gently put it in the dumpster. (not even a real clunker)

They were even even easy on the Cavalier .......

There was a small glimmer of hope for the Cutlass, but alas, it was not to be. When I got to work this morning, all of the clunkers had been moved to a different area in the lot but the Cutlass was still in the same spot. The keys were in the door so I got in, started her up, and took it for a ride around the lot; it ran and drove great. So I grabbed a salesman and asked him what the deal was and offered him a couple hundred bucks for it, giving him the old line about just selling it to me as-is instead of going through the hassle of prepping it for the auction, blah blah blah. So he writes the stock number down and tells me he'll find out. About a half hour goes by and he comes back and tells me no deal, it's a clunker. It's headed for the pile and I took its hood ornament for a souvenir. I would have bought it on the spot. Tried to save it but was shut down. And another one is gone forever.....

It's this and other similar stories that really just ... piss me off. But, I know ... not everyone is a "car enthusiast" ... so I have to believe that the cars were dead anyway. lol

*sighs*

What bothers me about this, along with the trashing of perfectly good cars (sounds like that Cutlass would've been a great winter beater for me at the very least) of course, is the "lure" of a "new" car that most people are seeing.

What they don't see?

The waste in the trashing of their "old" car.

The HIGHER insurance premiums for a brand new car.

The COST of newly-acquired loans that will drain their budget.

Etc. etc. etc.

*shrugs*

Whatever.......I guess :(.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"My heart can't possibly break when it wasn't even whole to start with" ... Kelly Clarkson ... 'Because Of You'