Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: The Blake Project offers $100k worth of free brand consultancy to GM

13 posts in this topic

Filed under: Marketing/Advertising, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GM, GMC

free_gm_brand_consult.jpg

General Motors is probably swimming in ideas and getting another thousand offers every day on how to turn the company around - there are fifteen pages of responses on the Tell Fritz site alone, and those are just the questions the GM CEO has answered. Add the company's recent advertising issues to that, and the internal suggestion box is most likely brimming as well.

Enter The Blake Project, a brand consultancy firm that is offering GM $100,000 worth of time for free. That won't include economy travel expenses, but will include a day with the firm's three-man team of Jack Trout, Brad VanAudken, and Mark Ritson, to "share insights, ideas and expertise."

What might those insights and ideas be? Some of them were looked at in a piece called "New Brand Strategies for GM." The first task given is to define the brands, e.g., Chevrolet should stand for something like "Good value, variety and heritage," instead of "big, small, expensive, cheap, truck, van or sports car." Buick should "stop making cheap Buicks," and Cadillac "can never be a prestige car. The fancy imports dominate that category." Is that glimpse worth setting aside a day of GM's time? If anyone at the General thinks so, click the link below...

[source: Branding Strategy Insider]

REPORT: The Blake Project offers $100k worth of free brand consultancy to GM originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:29:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=2unZQ6Xvpsc:GzXdRZT0_Po:wF9xT autoblog?i=2unZQ6Xvpsc:GzXdRZT0_Po:V_sGL
2unZQ6Xvpsc

View the full article

A Cadillac can never be a prestige car? Yeah, these guys aren't worth listening to.

Please- some pinheads go looking for some free press for their "brand consultancy firm" and AutoBlog gives them the space.

I'll give them three days of my input on branding (which I value at a baskillion dollars) for two nights at a Holiday Inn and an XLR. :rolleyes:

Edited by tmp

Cadillac "can never be a prestige car. The fancy imports dominate that category."

Even free of charge, their advice is still a rip-off.

They are right about Chevrolet but dead wrong about Cadillac. I don't think even a crowbar could unwedge their heads out of their asses on that one.

EDIT: The "Blake" project? FFUUU ---

Edited by YellowJacket894

Chevy is the Value leader with heritage you get more for your money. I think the Malubu, New Nox, HHR, Camaro, Vette and I hope the Cruze already represents. Trucks are still the biggest seller so there is no shame there. I assume they would tell Ford to stop selling F 150's too?

Buick is already showing us non cheap cars. THe Enclave and Lacrosse are well priced for their class but are no means cut rate.

Cadillac is not ready to compete with the 7 seires and the like but once they prove themselves with the CTS, SRX and other moderate priced cars they will be able to convince someone then to pay $100,000 for a Caddy. What I mean to say they can not compete yet but can once they dominate the class they are already in. The future is gong to be tough in this class as 3 ton cars will just not be around in the future. They will have to scale back to sizes Caddy is going to be in.

Those who can do and those who can't advise.

I can advise them to change their name to The 3 Guys and a Marketing Account Company.

Too bad Bob is on Vaca. He could crap all over them.

What might those insights and ideas be? Some of them were looked at in a piece called "New Brand Strategies for GM." The first task given is to define the brands, e.g., Chevrolet should stand for something like "Good value, variety and heritage," instead of "big, small, expensive, cheap, truck, van or sports car." Buick should "stop making cheap Buicks," and Cadillac "can never be a prestige car. The fancy imports dominate that category." Is that glimpse worth setting aside a day of GM's time? If anyone at the General thinks so, click the link below...

This is worth every penny.

Cheers and Gears could offer GM better advice, for free, for longer than just a day, and actually have a clue what we are talking about.

They are probably right on Cadillac. It will never go head to head against Mercedes, if Cadillac is Lincoln/Acura level, then Buick isn't needed. Unless Buick is making Chevrolets for old people, i.e. cheap cars. Cadillac is struggling in the $35-50k market, they will never touch the S-class, they are 50 years behind. GMC and Buick are really just distractions, Cadillac could take over those sales and become a brand of Chevy platform SUVs and mid size sedans. GM is headed for a Chevy-Cadillac brand portfolio by 2015, they might as well just plan for it now, rather than deny it and have to file bankruptcy last minute and reorganize, because the government may not bail them out the second time.

Cheers and Gears could offer GM better advice, for free, for longer than just a day, and actually have a clue what we are talking about.

Indeed.

We've even made better ads here before.

If you go to their website, it looks like a couple of guys that just got their Master's in marketing or an MBA.

Just remember, people often don't listen to free advice, hence the old adage "penny for your thoughts"

If you go to their website, it looks like a couple of guys that just got their Master's in marketing or an MBA.

Just remember, people often don't listen to free advice, hence the old adage "penny for your thoughts"

:scratchchin: Hmm! Sounds like a good case of self marketing to me. Lets face it how many people who had never heard of them till their offer to GM.

They are probably right on Cadillac. It will never go head to head against Mercedes

Granted I'm older than most of you but there was a time when exactly the same was said about Mercedes going against Cadillac. Perceptions change as brands reinvent themselves.

Personally, seeing bunches of brand new Mercedes (so brand new that some still had the paper bhbenz.com plates on them) on the road with one or more brake lights not working I would hesitate to plunk down the cash for one. Back in the 80's that was called a "typical GM (bad electrical) problem" and was used as a reason to buy German.

I know there are many of you that share this assessment of Buick's branding, thought I'd share this article from Autoblog.

What might those insights and ideas be? Some of them were looked at in a piece called "New Brand Strategies for GM." The first task given is to define the brands, e.g., Chevrolet should stand for something like "Good value, variety and heritage," instead of "big, small, expensive, cheap, truck, van or sports car." Buick should "stop making cheap Buicks," and Cadillac "can never be a prestige car. The fancy imports dominate that category." Is that glimpse worth setting aside a day of GM's time?

Edited by InvictaMan

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0