Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Only in California: UAW reportedly fighting to save Toyota plant

7 posts in this topic

Filed under: Plants/Manufacturing, GM, Toyota, UAW/Unions

89213998-630op.jpg

New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc, better known as NUMMI, has been operating in Freemont, California since 1984. The plant started as a joint venture between General Motors and Toyota. The idea was that Toyota could cut out the expense of boating cars all the way across the Pacific and The General could learn about Japanese managerial techniques and lean manufacturing processes. And this is how the world got the gift of the Geo Prizm. Last month, GM pulled out of NUMMI, leaving it all to Toyota. And now Toyota's not so sure it wants the plant.

Enter the United Auto Workers. NUMMI is unique in that it's the only Toyota manufacturing facility in the U.S. where the workers are unionized. It's also the only auto plant in California with some 4,500 union jobs. This prompted the UAW to send an email to its members, asking them to contact members of Congress so as to keep the plant (and jobs) alive. Quote the email, "We believe that Toyotas sold in the United States should be made in the United States. California is by far Toyota's single biggest market for car sales in the United States." The ironic part is that many Toyotas sold here are made here, but the jobs (typically in Southern states) are certainly not unionized. Much to the UAW's chagrin.

[source: Automotive News - Sub. Req. | Image: Justin Sullivan/Getty]

Only in California: UAW reportedly fighting to save Toyota plant originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=nS2zhJCaAyI:U-N2dblEHo8:wF9xT autoblog?i=nS2zhJCaAyI:U-N2dblEHo8:V_sGL
nS2zhJCaAyI

View the full article

The idea was that Toyota could cut out the expense of boating cars all the way across the Pacific and The General could learn about Japanese managerial techniques and lean manufacturing processes. And this is how the world got the gift of the Geo Prizm.

:lol:

hmm so its like your aunt and your grandma got together and all they could come up with was a pack of bvd's for your birthday. well that worked out peachy...

so... how would these "congressmen" keep this plant alive? subsidies? cause i don't want to fund it, Cali can't... hehe

so... how would these "congressmen" keep this plant alive? subsidies? cause i don't want to fund it, Cali can't... hehe

Whaddya mean Cali can't? Just cuz they're broke? So is our national gov't, but it keeps on spending... if they really want to do something, they'll find somewhere to borrow the money from.

But yeah, Cali is going to basically have to pay Toyota to keep it open, and even then I have a feeling 'yota won't be interested. It'll just make the plant "less unprofitable".

Whaddya mean Cali can't? Just cuz they're broke? So is our national gov't, but it keeps on spending... if they really want to do something, they'll find somewhere to borrow the money from.

But yeah, Cali is going to basically have to pay Toyota to keep it open, and even then I have a feeling 'yota won't be interested. It'll just make the plant "less unprofitable".

Oh but its different. The Feds can print their own money, the states can't.

Since i oppose most of California's budget anyways i would not be supporting of incentives to kept the plant here.

Fortunately I don't think Congress can do much here.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0