Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Under New Ownership Discussion thread

Under New Ownership!

Avant1963 and I came to an agreement over the weekend where my company, Pittsburgh Living LLC, has purchased Cheers and Gears. Avant1963 will continue in an admin role for as long as he chooses.

I have been a member of this site since 2003. In 2007 I was elevated to the admin group while helping out with a server move. Around the beginning of this year, Cheers and Gears was dying a slow, painful, death in the image of our favorite company. I decided to do some much needed maintenance and find ways to secure financing for server and software upgrades. Since that time I have filled the role of head admin previously held by FlyBrian and Josh before him.

What this means for you:

Today as the hostname transfer takes effect, you encounter slow loading or a complete website outtage.

In the next few months, we will be upgrading the IPBoard software, reopening a new Cheers and Gears store, and lots of general cleanup.

There are no other changes to the staff. People who might be interested in moderating forums are invited to email me.

Initially there won't be many changes until the DNS transfer gets sorted out.

The first major change will be upgrading the site to the newest version of the board software.

Things I plan to add over time:

1. A substantially upgraded C&G shop with not just custom printed merchandise, but even automotive parts and accessories.

2. User photo galleries so we no longer need to host the pictures we post on Photobucket.

3. There will probably be more advertising from places other than google.

4. We will be adding a Wiki. With the vast wealth of knowledge available in the membership here, it'd be a shame not to capture some of that.

These are just some of the ideas I have floating around.

Yeah... in 2000 I started and ran it, but since 2005/06 you guys have been running it. Drew has been integral in keeping the site afloat both monetary and emotionally (and the dedicated unpaid admin staff. I really lost any interest in day to day work on the site back then. In the past year I had gotten offers to buy the site from groups that were not closely involved with it. I would not sell the site from under the group 1. to someone outside the group 2. to someone who wasn't interested in keeping the core of the site the same. Drew has some great ideas and with the transfer of the domain to him, it frees him up to make those changes without feeling he is stepping on my toes. I'll still be around to watch how it grows. It was a fun ride to get the site to where it was and is now, just my priorities changed.

You're in good hands. Good luck.

I do not know what has happened since I was last here, but I see a lot has changed. Looking at what I see so, you do not need luck. I hope for the best for this site under new ownership. When I was asked to come back, I did not know all the things were taking place. You cannot do anything but move upward and forward.

I appreciate the consideration you took with choosing someone to sell to. I was part of a forum a while back that got sold to some advertising company, and the whole thing went to crap overnight. They changed the look of the site (made it worse), they fired all the mods/admin & made them beg for their jobs back (I didn't), and were uber-strict about operating the site. It became a ghost town within less than a month.

Oldsmoboi - Thanks for taking on the leadership reins and for making the new additions and changes you proposed.

avant1963 - Thanks for birthing this site for us fans and even in your diminished role, for not letting just some "anyone" take over.

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY - Thank you for making a return. I know you had problems in the past with certain posters, but I've missed you around here and I'm glad to have you back.

To the posters of C&G - Thank you for making this place great, and for making me spend WAY TOO MUCH of my time here! :P Let's take this opportunity to turn over a new leaf, forgive for past infractions, and help Drew (Oldsmoboi) and the other Admins to make this site a top-notch GM forum again.

I really like the Wiki idea. Perhaps we could also have one specifically for all of the GM XP cars?

The beauty of the Wiki is that we can have it be about whatever we want. Just to be clear on terminology. There will be one Wiki with multiple sections. Adding a section for the XP cars would be a wonderful and welcome addition.

No offense to Walt.

[Joke]

We reemerge from Chapter 11. :P

Hopefully it won't be Government and Gears.

Under new ownership and administration, we will reach profitability, sustainability, integrity and membershipity like we have never seen before.

[\Joke]

[serious]

Walt thanks for the idea and Drew thanks for keeping it from dying.

[\Serious]

No offense to Walt.

[Joke]

We reemerge from Chapter 11. :P

Hopefully it won't be Government and Gears.

Under new ownership and administration, we will reach profitability, sustainability, integrity and membershipity like we have never seen before.

[\Joke]

[serious]

Walt thanks for the idea and Drew thanks for keeping it from dying.

[\Serious]

And when will Bob Lutz show up and tell us it is crap and Fritz comes in to make big changes?

Just kidding with you and going along with the joke.....

Yeah... in 2000 I started and ran it, but since 2005/06 you guys have been running it. Drew has been integral in keeping the site afloat both monetary and emotionally (and the dedicated unpaid admin staff. I really lost any interest in day to day work on the site back then. In the past year I had gotten offers to buy the site from groups that were not closely involved with it. I would not sell the site from under the group 1. to someone outside the group 2. to someone who wasn't interested in keeping the core of the site the same. Drew has some great ideas and with the transfer of the domain to him, it frees him up to make those changes without feeling he is stepping on my toes. I'll still be around to watch how it grows. It was a fun ride to get the site to where it was and is now, just my priorities changed.

You're in good hands. Good luck.

Thanks Walt for keeping ownership within the C&G family and being such a long-time supporter of the site. And Drew, I can't think of anyone more qualified to be the new owner.

:cheers:

Edited by mustang84

And when will Bob Lutz show up and tell us it is crap and Fritz comes in to make big changes?

Just kidding with you and going along with the joke.....

Z-06 says a lot of things, but he works for me. :neenerneener:

Z-06 says a lot of things, but he works for me. :neenerneener:

:rotflmao:

That makes me Lutz. Oh BTW it would have been more fitting if it would have come from Drew.

That was funny! I guess it is safe to assume you are not a fan of rebadging either?

What is the latest on the Cheers and Gears G8 ?

Lol!

Edited by NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

No, I'd need someone who runs off at the mouth and says stupid, embarrassing, and nonfactual $h! all the time.

Unfortunately for me, that mean's SMK.

Well you have a chemistry anyways. Veep post is a all-show-no-go. Why don't you make him vice-admin of our website and not give any powers?

Can I 'be in charge' of the XP list format/thingie ??

I still have my list I compiled over the last few years, and I would like to expand upon it and re-introduce it.

You and the GM Design book were the two things that made me think of suggesting the XP Wiki.

Oldsmoboi - Thanks for taking on the leadership reins and for making the new additions and changes you proposed.

avant1963 - Thanks for birthing this site for us fans and even in your diminished role, for not letting just some "anyone" take over.

NINETY EIGHT REGENCY - Thank you for making a return. I know you had problems in the past with certain posters, but I've missed you around here and I'm glad to have you back.

To the posters of C&G - Thank you for making this place great, and for making me spend WAY TOO MUCH of my time here! :P Let's take this opportunity to turn over a new leaf, forgive for past infractions, and help Drew (Oldsmoboi) and the other Admins to make this site a top-notch GM forum again.

+1

As someone who spent a bunch of time "in the trenches" around here, I wholeheartedly endorse this deal!

I was here when C&G was but an infant, and its been quite the ride so far.

Congrats to Drew, and a huge thank-you to Walt.

This place is still special.

Well shoot I just opened this thread, not realizing the gravity of it. Thanks, Walt, for bringing us this far. Congratulations, Drew, I knew you were taking on more and more responsibility here.

As someone who spent a bunch of time "in the trenches" around here, I wholeheartedly endorse this deal!

I was here when C&G was but an infant, and its been quite the ride so far.

Congrats to Drew, and a huge thank-you to Walt.

This place is still special.

I agree with Camino. 8)

I've been asked to be a mod for a few of the many sites that I am on (Yes, I whore myself out :AH-HA_wink: ), but this is one of the very few sites that I would be one.

You guys are great, and we even fight like family around here sometimes..... :mind-blowing:

I'm look foward to the changes ahead... :thumbsup:

I was one of those people who wanted to buy the site.. The first thing I would have done was upgrade to the latest version of the software and then market the HELL out of it.. I like this place and it's good to see it owned by somebody who cares again...

In the past year I had gotten offers to buy the site from groups that were not closely involved with it. I would not sell the site from under the group 1. to someone outside the group 2. to someone who wasn't interested in keeping the core of the site the same.

Hey, how about reorganizing the forums to separate Saturn and Saab from the other current GM brands (i.e. "Old GM Brands") and placing Pontiac and Olds in their own specific section (i.e. "Memory Lane")?

I think it's something we should consider.

Edited by YellowJacket894

Under New Ownership!

Avant1963 and I came to an agreement over the weekend where my company, Pittsburgh Living LLC, has purchased Cheers and Gears. Avant1963 will continue in an admin role for as long as he chooses.

WOW! What interesting news!

Walt ... sorry to see you sell your "baby", but I certainly understand changing priorities.

Drew ... glad that you have ownership now ... that'll be good for the site, imho.

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"Tell me what you see" ... Bob Carlisle ... 'Getting Stronger'