Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

When you repaint it...Cobalt Grey I think.

About like the car "Ellanor" in Gone in Sixty Seconds. Only a little darker.

Then lower it, and stuff 18's under it.

Race seats up front, and a rollbar (not cage) in the back.

5 point harnesses.

A little flare to the fenders.

Some definite pro touring vibe.

Think about it.

LOTS of potential here.

I like it!

Chris

When you repaint it...Cobalt Grey I think.

About like the car "Ellanor" in Gone in Sixty Seconds. Only a little darker.

Then lower it, and stuff 18's under it.

Race seats up front, and a rollbar (not cage) in the back.

5 point harnesses.

A little flare to the fenders.

Some definite pro touring vibe.

Think about it.

LOTS of potential here.

I like it!

Chris

Thank you. :)

I thought about repainting it black, but I think I'm going to just go back to white, try to keep the body as original as I can so that, in the future, nothing will subtract from its value.

Eighteen inch rims are definitively on the table, though, as well as lowering it two to three inches overall. I'm thinking a black set of American Racing Torq-Thrust IIs will do nicely. I'll keep its original Rally rims (as well as anything else original that I swap out on it), though.

Thankfully, the browser reduces the image sizes so they, you know fit on my screen. :P

Clean car overall, but what's with the white dots on the passenger side? Poor touch-ups?

I think someone sanded the clear coat off of it where you see those white dots, trying to ... well I really don't have any idea why in the hell someone decided to sand on its rear quarter panel. It isn't rusty ...

Edited by YellowJacket894

Yeah, I've seen El Caminos with "IROC" front fascia conversions, and they have single-lens composite headlights. Is that what you're referring to, Mr. Jacket?

I am jealous as hell because I love G-bodies. That's a nice one. Best of luck with her, and don't let any stupids f@#kers drive it!:)

Here is an SS front clip with the Celebrity headlight conversion:

http://www.montecarloss.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=163

I think you have to modify the headlight bucket to make them fit just right, though.

Maybe a set of these ... ?

blk4x6pro.jpg

As for the mouse, I haven't seen his furry brown tail today. I'm still going to set up some insurance to make sure that he doesn't make a return appearance, though.

Here is an SS front clip with the Celebrity headlight conversion:

http://www.montecarloss.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=163

You do not have permission to view the images in this category.

Do you mean shoehorning in these headlights?

chevrolet-celebrity-15.jpg

I have never really heard of this mod untill now.

EDIT: oooh, I get it now...like this:

250605_0064.JPG

I think someone sanded the clear coat off of it where you see those white dots, trying to ... well I really don't have any idea why in the hell someone decided to sand on its rear quarter panel. It isn't rusty ...

my dad had a burgundy 87 ss and he had white spots come up after it rained on the car with the hood warm. he'd have to buff and wax it every month to keep them at bay. we never figured out what was up with that but we suspect the clearcoat was bad and the water was getting into it somehow.

Wow, where is Captain Ahab when you need him. Look at that Great White Whale, and the huge OVERHANG in front of the front wheel, Jesus you could place a smart car between the front bumper and the front wheel. Thar she blows!!!! :rotflmao:

>>> From hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee. Ye damned whale.<<<

Now I remember why I hated the 80's, it wasn't Reagan at all ... :P

Maybe they will let you youtube the engine fail. . .

I'm not even going to go there ...

No, in all seriousness, I like the car. I remember when they switched to the aero back for NASCAR.

Thanks. I actually had the chance to buy one of the bustleback Aerocoupes for two-grand, but passed on it. It needed a lot of work.

The CJ? That's one of two "projects" (and when I say project, I mean lawn ornament) my next door neighbor owns. He's also got an early '80s blue Silverado. He said he planned on working and restoring the both of them. So far, they've sat stationary and untouched from when they first showed up.

God I just love some of the people that inhabit this state.

Hmmm ... I think I know for sure why Cletus's dad's 87 had strange paint issues. WMJ was right in that the paint was single stage, but sometimes the dealer would apply a layer of clear to the factory paint, just to make a few extra bucks. Since the clear would expand and contract at different times than the factory paint, due to its hardness, it would, of course, sometimes bubble which would eventually lead to cracking (which is inevitable anyway).

Maybe ocn could tell me if I'm right on that one ...

Great find, YJ. It doesn't need that much to make it showroom. I just have a question about the interior - wasn't the dash/console trim a glossy black on the SS? I've never seen an example with the woodgrain. Maybe that was just for the later years.

Lots of luck with the restore, and of course, post lots of pics.

Z, I had the exact same question when I found the car and did a little research into it. Apparently the '83 and '84 models had woodgrain and nothing but woodgrain (the '83 also had the standard, run-of-the-mill Monte Carlo steering wheel, adding to that specific year's uniqueness) while later years used the upgraded black trim. 1984 was also the first year for the "SS steering wheel." Of course, they didn't add the SS horn button badge until 1985, the same year they started using the black trim and made the SS available in a broader range of colors other than white and steel blue.

And, as always, thanks. :)

BTW: The last interior photo I posted is also of an '84, but with '87-'88 MC LS interior trim pieces. It seems whoever owns it is like me in that they don't care at all for '80s GM ploodgrain.

BTW, when you do paint the care, you may wish to take it to bare metal.

It's what I did with my 55 Chevy, my 66 Mustang Fastback, and my 71 Chevelle. Use a good grade respirator and aircraft paint stripper.

...and invite a few buds over for beer. Took my about 3 days of work on each car to get them really good and clean.

But it made all of the difference in the world in terms of final product.

When/if I find my old Chevy truck I'm going to redo...it will be bare metal also.

Good luck with her and keep us posted. Again, dude...nice looking ride!

Chris

Thank ya Camino.

I'll probably wind up removing the license plate holder if I don't find a nice "SS" plate. In a way, I'm afraid to remove it because I know I'll have four ugly holes in the nose of my car.

I gotta say, I love this car just as much as I loved my Firebird.

66: That's exactly what I planned to do: do all of the prep work myself and sand the car down to bare. The panels are straight as an arrow so I probably won't find any nasty suprises. I am slightly concerned about the doors, though. Since the Monte's doors were so heavy, I've heard about the sheetmetal around the top edge of the door near the window actually cracking.

66: That's exactly what I planned to do: do all of the prep work myself and sand the car down to bare. The panels are straight as an arrow so I probably won't find any nasty suprises. I am slightly concerned about the doors, though. Since the Monte's doors were so heavy, I've heard about the sheetmetal around the top edge of the door near the window actually cracking.

Don't sand it to bare metal, get it media blasted.

Don't sand it to bare metal, get it media blasted.

Does it cost much?

Also, I'm on the lookout for a new temperature gauge. While removing the gauges to replace and upgrade the horrible backlighting, one of the needles broke off and I don't know exactly how, either. It was intact when I removed it and sat it down, but later, when I picked it up to move it, it was broken off. -_-

I gotta say, I love this car just as much as I loved my Firebird.

*grins*

I knew you would ... not that I'm biased or anything ;).

Apparently the '83 and '84 models had woodgrain and nothing but woodgrain (the '83 also had the standard, run-of-the-mill Monte Carlo steering wheel, adding to that specific year's uniqueness) while later years used the upgraded black trim. 1984 was also the first year for the "SS steering wheel." Of course, they didn't add the SS horn button badge until 1985, the same year they started using the black trim and made the SS available in a broader range of colors other than white and steel blue.

*nods*

Yep, indeedy. So many times MCSS.com posters ask "is this a real SS because of" ... the woodgrain ... or the bench seat with column shift ... it's too funny sometimes ;).

BTW ... good choice on the headlight conversion. A buddy of mine in NJ has done that to his MCSS:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/200808/038...unch09_jpg.html

CONGRATULATIONS, YJ ... good to see you have a MCSS now. Geez, I need to add an SS to my family ... someday.....

:)

BTW ... when I first started seeing some posts of yours and saw your new sig, I wondered if that meant you had bought a MCSS ... glad to see that is the case ;).

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"All it needs is just a little time" ... Jeff Carson ... 'The Car'

Edited by knightfan26917

Does it cost much?

Also, I'm on the lookout for a new temperature gauge. While removing the gauges to replace and upgrade the horrible backlighting, one of the needles broke off and I don't know exactly how, either. It was intact when I removed it and sat it down, but later, when I picked it up to move it, it was broken off. -_-

You'll have to price it locally, but there's a guy around here that is very reasonable.

Beats the hell out of a long, drawn-out sanding process and fighting surface rust while you do it.

AFAIK, factory-applied clearcoat started on certain colors before coming on across-the-board. Not sure if an '84 has a SPID label on it, which would solve the mystery immediately. However, there is at least one website dedicated to paint codes, I have it on my Favorites at work, I'll have to find it and link it here.

*grins*

I knew you would ... not that I'm biased or anything ;).

There's one specific reason as to why I like it better and it's the 305 H.O. The aftermarket support for it is pretty decent and I plan on making that engine crank out more than 180 horses. If I can get to 250, that would be great.

The Firebird's V6 didn't have a whole lot when it came to aftermarket performance parts. It was basically headers, exhaust, and a cold air/ram air intake system and that was it.

*nods*

Yep, indeedy. So many times MCSS.com posters ask "is this a real SS because of" ... the woodgrain ... or the bench seat with column shift ... it's too funny sometimes ;).

Maybe someday if I can find some plood trim pieces that are in better shape than mine, I'll reinstall them for car shows, just to see someone's disappointed face when they come to the conclusion its a clone when it really isn't. :P

BTW ... good choice on the headlight conversion. A buddy of mine in NJ has done that to his MCSS:

http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort/200808/038...unch09_jpg.html

I have to say, it makes the front of car appear more smooth and modern. I know that if I plan to go through on the conversion, I'm going to have to pick up a new set of headlight buckets to save my original ones. There's a piece of the bucket that has to be removed in order for the headlights to work.

CONGRATULATIONS, YJ ... good to see you have a MCSS now. Geez, I need to add an SS to my family ... someday.....

:)

BTW ... when I first started seeing some posts of yours and saw your new sig, I wondered if that meant you had bought a MCSS ... glad to see that is the case ;).

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

"All it needs is just a little time" ... Jeff Carson ... 'The Car'

Thanks again Cort. :)

And yes you do. If I should ever have an Aerocoupe come my way again, I'll let you know.

Oh, and then there's this ... http://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/1300243040.html

You'll have to price it locally, but there's a guy around here that is very reasonable.

Beats the hell out of a long, drawn-out sanding process and fighting surface rust while you do it.

It's something I will most definitely consider. Hopefully, whichever shop I choose to paint my car could also do this as well.

• 4 weeks later...

*grins*

Nice name change, bud! ;)

Maybe someday if I can find some plood trim pieces that are in better shape than mine, I'll reinstall them for car shows, just to see someone's disappointed face when they come to the conclusion its a clone when it really isn't. :P

LOL! I know a couple people who do JUST THAT ... and LOVE tricking people ;).

I have to say, it makes the front of car appear more smooth and modern.

Yes, indeed ... especially when you compare it to the LS model of the later years. Many of us don't quite understand why GM didn't do that from the factory.....

Thanks again Cort. :)

You are welcome!

BTW ... refresh my memory ... whereabouts in KY are you? Later this year, I'm heading to Nashville TN/Birmingham AL ... and might be able to make a stop to check out your MCSS in person. Plus, depending on where you are, I may be able to get you in touch with some friends of mine, too....if you're interested....

And yes you do. If I should ever have an Aerocoupe come my way again, I'll let you know.

Awesome!

Hmm...interesting. How far is that from you?

"Those windshield wipers slappin out a tempo" ... Eddie Rabbit ... 'Driving My Life Away'

*grins*

Nice name change, bud! ;)

:smilewide:

Thank ya, sir.

LOL! I know a couple people who do JUST THAT ... and LOVE tricking people ;).

I can't wait to see what kind of reactions people will make. :P

... Well, those who might know but not know enough, anyway, if I'm making sense.

Yes, indeed ... especially when you compare it to the LS model of the later years. Many of us don't quite understand why GM didn't do that from the factory.....

GM could have done it for all of twenty-bucks in engineering costs. The stock Monte SS headlamp buckets just have to have a small piece of metal taken out that goes in between the stock sealed beam headlamps and they're good to fit.

You are welcome!

BTW ... refresh my memory ... whereabouts in KY are you? Later this year, I'm heading to Nashville TN/Birmingham AL ... and might be able to make a stop to check out your MCSS in person. Plus, depending on where you are, I may be able to get you in touch with some friends of mine, too....if you're interested....

I'm located in Berea, about thirty minutes south of Lexington. It would be great if you could make a stop somewhere nearby. :)

And I would be interested.

I'm also in the middle of an agonizing parts hunt right now, so any connections would be that much more beneficial. I think I shot you a PM a few nights ago to see if you knew someone that could get me in touch with some parts (instrument cluster, interior trim), but I can't remember if I hit send or save or if my internet connection was crapping out on me when I was trying to send/save it.

Awesome!

Hmm...interesting. How far is that from you?

I can be in Richmond in 10 minutes. If you would want me to check it out for you, just let me know.

Thank ya, sir.

You are welcome!

I can't wait to see what kind of reactions people will make. :P

... Well, those who might know but not know enough, anyway, if I'm making sense.

Yep, understood!

I'm located in Berea, about thirty minutes south of Lexington. It would be great if you could make a stop somewhere nearby. :)

Hmmm...looks like the closest I'll get is Louisville ... that trip in October/November will be a short weekender to Nashville/Jackson TN and Birmingham AL.... But, we'll see....

I'm also in the middle of an agonizing parts hunt right now, so any connections would be that much more beneficial. I think I shot you a PM a few nights ago to see if you knew someone that could get me in touch with some parts (instrument cluster, interior trim), but I can't remember if I hit send or save or if my internet connection was crapping out on me when I was trying to send/save it.

Never got it, but I did see that post and replied. Shoot me an Email, to that address I gave in that thread. I will do my best, but be forewarned, right now, I'm gearing up for my Route 66 trip....

http://www.cheersandgears.com/index.php?showtopic=38736

...so my time is a bit scarce.

I'll have more time to contact people and get you in touch with them when I get back, but I'll see what I can do soon....OK?

I can be in Richmond in 10 minutes. If you would want me to check it out for you, just let me know.

Please. But, it isn't for me. When you look at it, check to see if it looks "put together".... I'll explain over EMail..... Thank you!

"I'm all out of time" ... Steve Wariner ... 'The Weekend'