Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Goodbye, Blue Sky: Kappa Roadster Plant Closes Doors

15 posts in this topic

Goodbye, Blue Sky: Kappa Roadster Plant Closes Doors:

Yesterday marked the end of production at GM's Delaware assembly plant, the home of the Saturn Sky and Pontiac Solstice roadsters. Fan clubs came to pay their respects, stuffing their tear-soaked tissues into awkwardly-placed cupholders.

REPORT: The Sky has a limit after all, as GM Kappa production ends:

Old saying: The flame that burns twice as bright burns only half as long. Having driven our share of Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters, we can't honestly declare them to be brightly burning flames. Oh, they have their good points, but the market's worst folding top mechanism and rampant parts-sharing to keep costs in check have taken their toll on the promising droptops. What we can say, however, is that every Kappa platform vehicle is fabulous looking. Even the badge job Opel GT and Daewoo G2X.

more at link:

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/29/report-...-production-en/

Goodbye to the birthplace of the Kappa. In honor, here are some pictures I took when I attended the first Solstice & SKY "homecoming" in the Spring of '07:

DSCN3258.jpg

DSCN3259.jpg

DSCN3261.jpg

DSCN3264.jpg

DSCN3270.jpg

DSCN3253.jpg

It's too bad. I have sat in a few Solstices and Skys and although I am too tall for them, the solstice sure is fun to drive in iRacing.

Don't tell balthazar or Camino, but I am in love with the yellow sky on the car carrier.

Sad day for me, I love these cars.

Chris

It is a sad day but this car accept for the coupe has run out of time.

It was in need of a refresh and I would rather see it come back on a properly done small RWD platform.

The two seater market is a limited one at best and only a few 2 seaters can deal with a slow economy well. I expect when sales pick up we will see a new small sports car of some kind with Uncle Bob around. This time he will not be limited in time or money. FOr putting a car together on a shoe string he did a good job and much better than the Fiero. But the limitations by GM still hurt. Just a little to much show car ans not enough development.

The only issues were in the details like the roof storage and cheap interior.

A shame. Gorgeous looks, but some serious design flaws and mediocre performance killed these promising cars.

Shame to see these gorgeous cars go, even if they had their faults. I'd love to have a SKY myself.

A shame. Gorgeous looks, but some serious design flaws and mediocre performance killed these promising cars.

2.4 NA was mediocre, but the 2.0 GNX with its laundry list of tuning capability is far from mediocre. It invades territory of Boxter, SLK350, Z4 3.0. It is a spectacular machine.

2.4 NA was mediocre, but the 2.0 GNX with its laundry list of tuning capability is far from mediocre. It invades territory of Boxter, SLK350, Z4 3.0. It is a spectacular machine.

Driven properly and with a few mods, this car will hand an S2000, WRX-STI, Boxster, or even a C4 Vette its ass on a sterling silver platter.

You guys didn't think I wanted one to park in front of Macy's or drive in a 4th of July parade, did you?

Chris

Driven properly and with a few mods, this car will hand an S2000, WRX-STI, Boxster, or even a C4 Vette its ass on a sterling silver platter.

You guys didn't think I wanted one to park in front of Macy's or drive in a 4th of July parade, did you?

Chris

I wish to get both RWD and FWD application of GNX someday. I have high respect for both vehicles. I have driven both to the limits and they are surprisingly close to E46 BMW 330i with Performance Package.

I wish more people here drove GM cars hard or in competition.

When you see what happens when these cars are driven in anger, you become a fanboi.

The Solstice GXP and Redline sky are IMHO two of the hottest cars GM has built since the early 70's. Look at the list of what they have won in SCCA racing.

A very fitting swansong for Pontiac, and NOTHING that GM has anything to be ashamed of. I am the two seat convertible fanboi of C and G, and I can tell you all of the faults of the MIATA, Z3, Z4, S2000, Boxster, et al.

Trust me, GM blew it out of the park with these two. I would honestly rather have a Solstice GXP than a Boxster or a Honda S2000. THAT is saying something.

Chris

there is a volunteer that works here at the hospital that has a green sky redline tan top and interior and a light metallic blue with the same combo in the docs parking lot. they are sweet, my fav would have to be the hotrod ls7 though hehe what a killer. out performed enzos z06s and everything else for 120K total. mallet sells a lot of upgrades for them both take a peak on youtube sometime.

I always liked that green they used on the sky.

And a near stock GXP or Redline would be perfect for me.

Chris

Mr. Blue Sky... by Electric Light Orchestra (ELO)

Sun is shinin' in the sky

There ain't a cloud in sight

It's stopped rainin' ev'rybody's in a play

And don't you know

It's a beautiful new day hey,hey

Runnin' down the avenue

See how the sun shines brightly in the city

On the streets where once was pity

Mister blue sky is living here today hey, hey

Mister blue sky please tell us why

You had to hide away for so long

Where did we go wrong?

Hey you with the pretty face

Welcome to the human race

A celebration, mister blue sky's up there waitin'

And today is the day we've waited for

Hey there mister blue

We're so pleased to be with you

Look around see what you do

Ev'rybody smiles at you

Mister blue sky, mister blue sky

Mister blue sky

Mister blue, you did it right

But soon comes mister night creepin' over

Now his hand is on your shoulder

Never mind I'll remember you this

I'll remember you this way

Mister blue sky please tell us why

You had to hide away for so long

Where did we go wrong?

Hey there mister blue

We're so pleased to be with you

Look around see what you do

Ev'rybody smiles at you

Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba

Ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba ba

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

This was the first song played in my '07 Saturn SKY the night I took delivery back in April of 2006 (I'm a big ELO fan regardless).

A fitting eulogy, GMTG74.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0