Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Will Chrysler make Ram its fourth brand?

14 posts in this topic

Filed under: Truck, Chrysler, Dodge

001_2009ram_garage-630op.jpg
2009 Dodge Ram - Click above for a high-res image gallery

Over the past dozen years, the domestic auto industry has worked hard to shrink its brands to more reasonable levels. Gone are Eagle, Plymouth, Pontiac and Oldsmobile and some would speculate that Mercury should have joined the extinction club long ago. Of course, Ford has sold off Jaguar, Land Rover and Austin Martin, while GM is in the process of jettisoning Saab, Hummer, Saturn, and Opel.

However, if Autoextremist's Peter DeLorenzo is to be believed, the Chrysler portfolio could grow instead of shrink. DeLorenzo says he's hearing rumblings around Motown that Chrysler could break off the Ram from the Dodge, with the truck line becoming a dedicated brand. Doing so would make Dodge a car outlet, while the Ram brand would be all trucks, all the time, including the Dakota.

We don't get how this could possibly be a good idea, considering Chrysler's financial position and struggling sales. Why spend money marketing a new brand, while asking battle-weary dealers to invest in more signage and differentiated floor space? At this point, its just speculation and we're hoping it stays that way.

[source: Auto Extremist]

Will Chrysler make Ram its fourth brand? originally appeared on Autoblog on Thu, 30 Jul 2009 09:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=vLZ0kNC9vI0:v3lMexPQBKA:wF9xT autoblog?i=vLZ0kNC9vI0:v3lMexPQBKA:V_sGL
vLZ0kNC9vI0

View the full article

Would be a mistake. Market it like a brand, fine, but it'd be a waste to create a new "Ram" brand.

Hmmm...I can't see the utility of such a move unless it's a set up for trying to sell off a truck brand.

\

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Hmmm...I can't see the utility of such a move unless it's a set up for trying to sell off a truck brand.

\

Rob

Interesting... or kill off the car brand.

Ram Dakota

Ram Ram

Ram Van

Randy the Ram

Doesn't sound right.

However, if Autoextremist's Peter DeLorenzo is to be believed

LOL

Mmmmm yeah.... I don't believe him.

Great rumor though!

It would be an idiotic move. They would have to spend millions trying to market the "brand" as a separate entity. Millions that would be better spent improving the vehicles.

Since they don't run composite car/truck ads now, I fail to see how advertising would see a jump of "millions" in costs.

Since they don't run composite car/truck ads now, I fail to see how advertising would see a jump of "millions" in costs.

Because it would be market as a separate brand. They'd have to spend money to make some sort of distinction otherwise what would be the point of this asinine idea in the first place. Also I'm sure you know advertising in any form is an expansive business, and any extra, pointless advertising they have to do will cost a pretty penny. Keep it Dodge.

"Would you like a Ram Dakota, a Ram Durango, or a Ram Ram?

Yeah...no.

A brainless rumor, I hope, and what is the point, with all Mopar products being sold at consolidated dealerships shortly anyway.

That'd be dumb. I figured when most people thought of 'Dodge' they thought of trucks or the Viper. I doubt the first thing that'd come to mind is the Avenger or Caliber. :P

Remember when the rumor was (1st in like 1999 or so) that the Corvette was

going to break off from Chevy and be its own brand?

:rolleyes:

MARKETING a Ram lineup as its own "brand" would prob. be a good idea.

It would be strange if they did. Dodge can still be a strong brand, really all it needs is a compact and midsize that is more interesting. A repeat of the Neon program for instance, but without cutting corners this time.

A more thorough Dakota revamp woudn't hurt either, but calling it another Ram 50 or somthing like that would just dilute their brand.