Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Officially Official: Chrysler PT Cruiser to live on

13 posts in this topic

Filed under: Hatchback, Chrysler

ch009_006pt.jpg

Chrysler made it official this morning: the PT Cruiser will cruise on -- for at least another year. Earlier this spring, the PT Cruiser was one of several products slated to get the axe as Chrysler madly tried to boost it's bottom line in a failed attempt to stave off bankruptcy. However, shortly after Chrysler Group LLC was born out of the ashes of DaimlerChrysler and Cerberus, a report came out that PT Cruiser production would continue for a while.

Chrysler's Toluca Mexico plant has been building the Cruiser since 2000 and will continue production, although Chrysler isn't saying for how long. Since the tooling is long since paid for, we'd assume the PT will keep rolling off the line until sometime in late 2010 when new Fiat-based cars are expected to replace the Cruiser in Chrysler's revamped line-up. We recently had a chance to drive a "fresh" PT for a week, so stay tuned for a review.

Continue reading Officially Official: Chrysler PT Cruiser to live on

Officially Official: Chrysler PT Cruiser to live on originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 31 Jul 2009 11:32:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=XUZvEth8hes:70w-RPcUeWE:wF9xT autoblog?i=XUZvEth8hes:70w-RPcUeWE:V_sGL
XUZvEth8hes

View the full article

What an embarrassing car. I guess they need it for CAFE reasons? Does anyone other than fleets buy these things?

See? This is why you can't do retro.

I was still in high school when this car came out. And it remains virtually unchanged since then.

Edited by aaaantoine

I actually test drove one when a dealer was advertising a brand new one for $10,995. The build quality and interior were surprisingly decent, but the engine was a POS, stuttering like a 15-year old Caravan when started. Terrible fuel economy, too... worse than most small SUVs.

There seems to be a subculture of older guys that like to customize 'em...I've seen them with extra chrome, flames, white wall tires, made up to look like custom '30s Fords. It still seems to have an appeal. I think I'd take one over the Caliber, at least you can see out of the PT Cruiser and the plastics aren't as vile as the Caliber.

Rob

Whatever Fiat-based car that replaces this should continue the retro theme, possibly inspired by '40s Chryslers rather than '30s Chryslers. I think it would be progressive and still keep the car neat and interesting.

Whatever Fiat-based car that replaces this should continue the retro theme, possibly inspired by '40s Chryslers rather than '30s Chryslers. I think it would be progressive and still keep the car neat and interesting.

A modern intrepretation of the late '40s Chrysler Town and Country wagon and convertible could be interesting, with plood on the sides.

Rob

A modern intrepretation of the late '40s Chrysler Town and Country wagon and convertible could be interesting, with plood on the sides.

Rob

I agree, except for the plood. Make that an option.

But, yes, the '40s Chrysler T&C was exactly what I was thinking of:

775840.jpg

Do Dollar and Thrifty car rental even want this thing anymore? Kill this car already, and the Ford Panther platform also. Detroit hangs on to ancient uncompetitive products, no wonder they get a bad reputation.

What an embarrassing car. I guess they need it for CAFE reasons? Does anyone other than fleets buy these things?

thing is, the PT cruiser gets terrible gas mileage real world.

People that have these, love them. I see no harm in extending the PT's life, perhaps it is to buy time for Tony to develop a suitable replacement, which would make it easier on the new vehicle, marketingwise, because there is no lapse in availability between generations causing a customer memory loss.