Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Charting out Saab's upcoming model lineup

11 posts in this topic

Filed under: Convertible, Coupe, Sedan, Crossover, Saab

saab_product_fut.jpg

There are many folks who've wanted big things from Saab, including this blogger, but we never seemed to get them. The company sold 93,220 cars in 2008, a drop of more than 25% from the previous year, and getting sucked into this year's General Motors saga hasn't exactly helped to create any believers in Saab's return to form.

But the quirkier Swedish brand has been taken over by Koenigsegg, and the little company is said to have big plans for the bigger one. Saab's product lineup, as laid out by Swedish car mag Auto Motor & Sport, will have the expected new 9-5 and 9-4 CUV at Frankfurt this year. Next year comes the new 9-5 SportCombi with Start/Stop technology. The two following years will bring the new 9-3 coupe and convertible, a 9-5 crossover, and a little 9-1 -- rumored to be co-produced with the Mini, sccording to the Swedish buff mag. In 2012, the magazine also predicts a sport hybrid powerplant.

The predictions go all the way out to 2017, but it isn't clear how much is pure guesswork versus actual hints from Saab. The magazine, however, suggests there will be some sort of shortened, Aero X coupe-looking thing, a return of the Sonett as a TT-fighter, and the next new 9-5 in 2017.

At this point, no one knows what Saab is going to look like a year from now, much less eight. But if Koenigsegg can make it look anything like it does in the Auto Motor & Sport chart - and get the sales to back it up - a lot of people will be very happy about it.

[source: Saabs United]

Charting out Saab's upcoming model lineup originally appeared on Autoblog on Sat, 01 Aug 2009 09:07:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=wfBMtPCNZRM:6iAyBVvPQrk:wF9xT autoblog?i=wfBMtPCNZRM:6iAyBVvPQrk:V_sGL
wfBMtPCNZRM

View the full article

I am really stoked about SAAB's new ownership...really, I have always liked SAABs, and the new 9-5 is hot IMO, and the future looks bright. It's nice to see the brand with a company that knows what to do with it, instead of simply buying it as geographic asset.

Edited by Croc

The rear of the 9-5 wagon looks hot...I'm really liking what I've seen of the 9-5 sedan so far.

Build a 9-1 based on the MINI platform and I'm in heaven :smilewide:

And that 9-1 sketch looks hot, hot, hot!

In the remote chance it happens, they should use the Crossman/Countryman version of the platform. IMHO, the SAAB should be bigger than the MINI.

Edited by ZL-1

ZL-1, you know I love yellow, and that 9-3 is calling my name ... :P

Since everyone says NG 9-3 development has already started (in terms of computer designs anyway), and it's apparently scheduled to come in 2012, would you mind if it is on Delta2? :smilewide:

Tons of GM money... Little return and another virtually worthless foreign brand that has been elevated thanks to Detroit money.

(BTW, isn't GM retaining 35% of Saab?)

Tons of GM money... Little return and another virtually worthless foreign brand that has been elevated thanks to Detroit money.

(BTW, isn't GM retaining 35% of Saab?)

It's only "worthless" because GM is retarded and never knew how to actually manage the brand. A rebadged Trailblazer and a rebadged Subaru, along with a 9-5 that was should have been redesigned a long time ago does not a successful brand make.

It's only "worthless" because GM is retarded and never knew how to actually manage the brand. A rebadged Trailblazer and a rebadged Subaru, along with a 9-5 that was should have been redesigned a long time ago does not a successful brand make.

:yes:

I wonder why people complain so much about the money spent on SAAB. Maybe it is an inner realization that apparently that money it was all spent in buying the brand, as investment in product was basically the 9-3 range.

I was referring to all of the money developing the new product line that will not be credited to GM or pay GM the returns that were planned.

Same thing goes for Jag and LR and their respective relationship to Ford now.

And I agree.... Just like a rebadged Aveo, Cobalt and half-assed G6 does not a successful brand make.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room