Mr Ford Goes to Clunkerville

Had a sad moment Friday where I said goodby to a trusted friend that never let me down no matter what I asked that friend to do.

This is my '94 F-150 XL Special. Only vehicle I myself have bought new (out of 20). 300 CI I-6, 4-spd auto, 3.08s out back, 2WD. Almost no options, but did come w/ AM-FM & A/C- enough for me.

F-150-09-01.jpg

F-150-09-03.jpg

Truck has rolled 146K since '94, tho by the 5/08 inspection sticker, apparently I haven't driven it much in the last 11 months.

Body is really excellent except for 1 thing- over both rear wheelwells, it's starting to rot from the inside- the rest is arrow straight & rust-free. Not so the undercarriage- an inadvertant drive thru a flooded shore island had accelerated rust & corrosion underneath. Interior was near perfect too- 1 1" rip on the dash and the rubber mat wore thru where my 'gas heel' rested.

KBB says it's worth $513 for trade, $1200 for retail. But CARS says round it off to $4500. It was a damned good truck, and I still love it (esp the proportions of a RC/LB), sentimental fool that I am... but cheapness trumps sentimentality for me. I 'sacrificed' so my wife could get into a nicer, new car.... sacrificed a truck I really no longer needed.

I took a few things for resale: bedliner, tailgate, RR bumper, pass door panel & sideview, ashtray, grille. I debated taking the hood & FRT bumper, but ran out of time. So here's what limped down to the dealer- no wipers at all in the driving rain Friday :

F-150-09-04.jpg

F-150-09-05.jpg

Farewell, old friend!

-- -- -- -- --

Here at the dealer is what one might call 'Clunkerville'.

clunkertown09.jpg

Note that my truck (now) is the only one that really looks the part.

The only thing here that remotely catches my eye (besides the near-twin to my F-150) is the Riv. Obviously (via C4C), it's an '84-85, but these cars truely shine, design-wise; beautiful lines. Besides some minor issues w/ the 'bumper rubbers' (between the body & bumpers), and an apparent mismatch in paint @ the rear quarter, this Rivie was cherry in & out. 87K on the clock:

Rivie.jpg

Mind you: great design, great well-cared-for shape, refreshing to see... but not particularly valuable. I can't quite cry over it.

The Caddy was just as nice, or nicer. Never owned an '80s product- don't feel I'm missing anything from all that I've seen. I didn't look at the others, but besides the sentimental attachment to MY truck, they can all go (that's a nissan in the corner), IMO- no future collectibles here.

Aw, those old Rams are getting harder and harder to find. Especially ones not beat to hell...which that one doesn't from the photo.

Sad to see your friend go, at least you'll have the memories. I completely understand your reasoning, but I could never bring myself to do such a thing.

They would have to kill a good Riviera!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, our dealership too has a few CFC vehicles that are really too good to be killed. A Ford truck much like yours that looks nearly perfect, An older Chevrolet truck that is about the same. There is a 94-Ram too. A few Astro vans, a Durango that looks perfect. An older Toyota pickup. A big white Chevy cargo van. A few Suburbans. At least in my case these vehicles didnt make way for foreign vehicles since this is a Chevrolet/Pontiac dealer.

>>"What did you trade it in for?"<<

'09 Malibu.

>>"I see the NJ plates have been removed, does NJ reissue the plates or do they follow the owner to the new vehicle? In Delaware it's the owners choice ..."<<

Legally, it is permissable to transfer them, but I suspect a pact between dealers & the DMV, since new cars always get new plates (& the DMV gets higher fees).

Congrats on the '09 Malibu.

& Conversely sorry about your Ford.

The stupidity of modern engineering

at all but BMW has deemed the V6

more practical & safe than the inline

or slant 6.

That's my favorite thing about your

truck... & all like it. All six of those

50-cubic inch cylinders & pistons

aligned in a long block, in a straight

line with plenty of access on both

sides for maintenance.

---

I was keeping my fingers crossed for

a Pontiac G8-GT for your wife.

Now THERE's a future classic.

Edited by Sixty8panther

Interesting how popular the Grand Cherokee is in this program.

There are a BUNCH on dealer lots around here!

I wonder how many of them have the driver's seat in good working condition? I finally got the broken seat and broken track out of mine this morning...now should I replace the seat or just bungee cord a lawn chair in place and run it down to the Chevy dealer tommorow to claim my $4500 towards a new Aveo???

Rob

>>"I see the NJ plates have been removed, does NJ reissue the plates or do they follow the owner to the new vehicle? In Delaware it's the owners choice ..."<<

Legally, it is permissable to transfer them, but I suspect a pact between dealers & the DMV, since new cars always get new plates (& the DMV gets higher fees).

I think most people don't care what plates they have and most dealers just figure that people want shiny new plates for their new cars. I've had a couple friends keep their old plates on a new car. Since I have a very old plate, I'd refuse a sale if the dealer tried to put new plates on... but its one of those things where if you don't bring it up, the dealer will have new plates in your name faster than lightning to keep the sale proceeding.

Obviously (via C4C), it's an '84-85, but these cars truely shine, design-wise; beautiful lines. Besides some minor issues w/ the 'bumper rubbers' (between the body & bumpers), and an apparent mismatch in paint @ the rear quarter, this Rivie was cherry in & out. 87K on the clock:

Rivie.jpg

Mind you: great design, great well-cared-for shape, refreshing to see... but not particularly valuable. I can't quite cry over it.

The Caddy was just as nice, or nicer. Never owned an '80s product- don't feel I'm missing anything from all that I've seen. I didn't look at the others, but besides the sentimental attachment to MY truck, they can all go (that's a nissan in the corner), IMO- no future collectibles here.

I can cry over it!

Those E-bodys are tough to find in good running condition! That was a future collectible. Assuming a clear interior, spend $350 for the bumper fillers and give it a paint job it could probably go in the $6k - $8k range on ebay.

This is my fear with this program.

I wonder how many of them have the driver's seat in good working condition? I finally got the broken seat and broken track out of mine this morning...now should I replace the seat or just bungee cord a lawn chair in place and run it down to the Chevy dealer tommorow to claim my $4500 towards a new Aveo???

Rob

You want to STAY AWAY from the aveo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read on another board some guy's almost 4 month saga with is Aveo.

You want to STAY AWAY from the aveo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read on another board some guy's almost 4 month saga with is Aveo.

Just joking about the Aveo.... I'm not looking to trade the Jeep anytime soon.. probably keep it for winters and get a new car in the next year or two.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

That's because they're not posers.

Actually I think the original cherokee is one of the cooler veicles of the 20th century. They just stopped building them last year in China IIRC.

The Grand Cherokee is a damned good vehicle. Too bad Chryco never built it with a Cummins....or did they? IIRC for about a year or so they came diesel.

These things will go ANYwhere...stock or near stock Jeeps will do the Rubicon,I'd love to see someone elses vehicles do the same stuff off road.

Anyhow...damn near indestructable vehicles. Until you drain the crankcase and fill it with sodium silica and water.

Chris

Actually I think the original cherokee is one of the cooler veicles of the 20th century. They just stopped building them last year in China IIRC.

The Grand Cherokee is a damned good vehicle. Too bad Chryco never built it with a Cummins....or did they? IIRC for about a year or so they came diesel.

These things will go ANYwhere...stock or near stock Jeeps will do the Rubicon,I'd love to see someone elses vehicles do the same stuff off road.

Anyhow...damn near indestructable vehicles. Until you drain the crankcase and fill it with sodium silica and water.

Chris

There was a Grand Cherokee CRD, but it was dropped from production due to even tougher US diesel emissions standards. <_<

There was a Grand Cherokee CRD, but it was dropped from production due to even tougher US diesel emissions standards. <_<

And in Europe, Cherokees (XJ and Liberty) and GCs (all 3 generations) have been available for years with diesels...here's a couple pics I took in London, Nov. '00...

About a '98..

gcdiesel98-vi.jpg

And a '99-00, in the same Patriot Blue as my '00..

gcdiesel-vi.jpg

Besides being RHD and diesels, the other major diff from US spec I noticed is the lack of tinted windows. I've seen a lot of Jeeps in Europe, and the GCs always seem to be dark blue, silver, or black.

Rob

That Patriot Blue is jsut such a kick ass color!

I thought your Jeep was like a gold or champaigne or some really mellow color.

Like it MUCH better knowing it's blue.

Nice looking ride, Moltar.

Chris

That Patriot Blue is jsut such a kick ass color!

I thought your Jeep was like a gold or champaigne or some really mellow color.

Like it MUCH better knowing it's blue.

Nice looking ride, Moltar.

Chris

Here's a pic I took the day after I bought it, right down the street from where I was living at the time (Colorado Springs), Aug 3, '00..

jeepgc2-vi.jpg

Here's a couple more Colorado pics from a few years ago..

jeep1-vi.jpg

jeep2-vi.jpg

It's been a very reliable wagon for the last nine years..over 100k miles...the current seat issue being the worst thing that's happened. I have a few other minor issues I need to take care of, besides routine maintenance...

Rob

I've always respected the Grand Cherokee... it's a lot like

my '84 Mercedes Benz in that it is the opposite of a typical

unibody tin can because it's essentially a BOF with the

frame welded & stamped into the floors & rockers. Go look

under a Honda or Toyota SUV & compare it to a Jeep. I'd

be willing to bet this alone would steal away many sales

away from the Ridgeline, Highlander etc.

Not that the typical retard buying a Toyopet cares about

structural integrity or durability. They seem to be more

concerned with the color selection & the consumer reports

that they have shoved up their @$$.

frame welded & stamped into the floors & rockers.

And of course, the other car I've been driving since I've been in AZ is...an '84 Mercedes Benz with an indeterminate # of miles (the odo quit at 176k).

Rob

mercslc1-vi.jpg

frame welded & stamped into the floors & rockers. Go look

under a Honda or Toyota SUV & compare it to a Jeep. I'd

be willing to bet this alone would steal away many sales

away from the Ridgeline, Highlander etc.

Not that the typical retard buying a Toyopet cares about

structural integrity or durability. They seem to be more

concerned with the color selection & the consumer reports

that they have shoved up their @$$.

Pretty much.

2011....or maybe find a clean, low mileage loaded '04 Overland..those were so sweet inside.

Rob

I've been having the "keep my Jeep and get something else or get another Jeep" debate with myself for a while now, but I'm still about a year out...so, it might just be going towards a 2011 as well...I really like everything about the '11 Grand Cherokee.