A Plan for Cadillac - A RWD Compact is the KEY

The DTS--even though it isn't meant to compete with cars like the LS, 7 Series, S, etc.--is damaging to Cadillac's image. A 4-speed transmission, FWD and dated styling don't convey "world class" the way the CTS and CTS-V do.

You wanna hear how out-of-touch with reality Cadillac's (GM's) sales and marketing organization is...?

When I worked at the Caddy store in LV......we would get the "Sales Comparison Manuals" for all the Cadillac's models....for sales training, etc.....

Caddy very openly stated the 7-Series, S-Class, and Lexus LS460 as "competitors" to the DTS. How laughably ignorant that was......(I think they also included the Town Car.)

They would even go so far to indicate in the comparison tables that "Front-Wheel-Drive" was checkmarked as an "advantage" for the DTS.......and the option of a "bench seat" was an advantage because the others didn't offer it.

These guys really are clueless......

uh, base CTS has 30 more horsepower and 53ft/lbs more torque than the base 528. The mid level V6 CTS roughly matches the 535 in horsepower and is down 17 on torque. The CTS V8 "sucks the doors off the M5"... to quote Bob Lutz. They both have 6-speeds all around, they both have a laundry list of interior features. I'll give you that the CTS is heavier.... but still. If you're going to convince me that the 535i is worth $15k more than the CTS, you're oging to need to do it with more than a rear power sunshade.

Go read Road & Track's comparo a year or so ago with a (then new) CTS DI versus the Infiniti G. They had an interesting sidebar to that comparo where they brought along a new 535i.....but didn't include it in the actual comparo because of the drastic price difference between that BMW and the Caddy and Infiniti......

......their conclusion was that the BMW was indeed worth the extra money. And car rag "journalism" or not....I feel their reasoning made a pretty solid case for their claim......

Those people would never be caught dead in a Cadillac no matter how good it is. You could sell them a 1994 Skoda for $60k if you pasted over the logo with a round blue and white thingy.

Well, if that's the case, then I give BMW all the credit in the WORLD for building and maintaining such a powerful brand image......

The dealership tries to milk you for everything, they do not give loaners if you have not bought the car from them - amazing is it not? Chevy dealer loaned me a 2008 Malibu while my 1998 Chevy Lumina was being serviced and no it was not even bought in the same state. The Acura service people in Michigan give me a car to drive even for an oil change, while the car has been bought in Florida. The BMW dealers are rude and do not treat you well, even if you have the car in the service and are browsing around in the showroom. I have got the best service from Acura, which my girl drives, hands down. If I have to give points of 10 for service, it would be Acura -9.5, Chevy -8.0, BMW - 4.0. So yes, Olds is partially right that people really are on KoolAid when they lick BMW asses because with recent products and the product value for money, the company frankly does not deserve the credit that has been given for its cars.

That's down more to individual dealer service.....not necessarily BMW itself.

I've had three BMWs.....and had awesome service at both BMW stores I used to get them serviced at......I even got a loaner when my BMW was in for routine oil changes.....(Caddy only gives me one for warranty work.)

On the flip side, I started using Tustin Cadillac for service....and they were horrible. Now I take my car to Allen Cadillac in Laguna Niguel.....and they are as good as any dealer, any brand, that I've experienced.

And I'm one to say that I did enjoy all three of my BMWs.....(330i coupe, 330i convertible, X5 4.4i)....and it is really going to be tough for me to not go back to them again when my CTS lease is up in November....

I love the new CTS.....but when you are signing the contract, and committing to the payments for 36 months.....I can't just say the Caddy is a given for me (especially the trouble probably finding one or ordering one with a manual tranny like my current CTS.)