Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Lutz: Chevy Orlando coming, could get Voltec powertrain

53 posts in this topic

Filed under: Concept Cars, Hybrid, Minivan/Van, Crossover, Chevrolet, GM, Alternative Fuel

chevy-orlando.jpg
Chevrolet Orlando concept - Click above for high-res image gallery

Before General Motors' financial woes got so out-of-hand that the giant automaker was forced to declare bankruptcy, plans were in place to bring the Chevrolet Orlando, a new seven-passenger multi-purpose vehicle, to the U.S. market in 2011. First seen at the Paris Motor Show last year, the Orlando concept was a modern take on the nearly defunct but extremely useful wagon shape that seemed destined to replace the retrotastic HHR in GM's lineup. Now that GM's back on track, it would seem the previously stalled Orlando project is moving forward as well.

Since the Chevy Orlando is expected to be built atop the same Delta platform as the upcoming Chevy Volt, might it be possible we see an extended-range electric people mover from The General wrapped in a family-friendly tall wagon bodystyle? According to Bob Lutz, the answer is a definite maybe. Responding to just such a question from Lyle Dennis over at GM-Volt.com, Lutz admitted, "We are actually studying the adaptation of Volt technology to the upcoming Orlando."

Naturally, spreading the extremely high development cost of the Volt's high-tech powertrain and lithium ion battery packs is certainly an attractive proposition for GM. Placing that Voltec drivetrain in the Orlando makes a lot of sense as it would seemingly allow GM to offer a fuel-saving vehicle with strong mass-market appeal.

[source: GM-Volt.com]

Lutz: Chevy Orlando coming, could get Voltec powertrain originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 03 Aug 2009 14:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=zsFF64dk6po:5eR5QbusFzk:wF9xT autoblog?i=zsFF64dk6po:5eR5QbusFzk:V_sGL
zsFF64dk6po

View the full article

"Since the Chevy Orlando is expected to be built atop the same Delta platform as the upcoming Chevy Volt, might it be possible we see an extended-range electric people mover from The General wrapped in a family-friendly tall wagon bodystyle? According to Bob Lutz, the answer is a definite maybe. Responding to just such a question from Lyle Dennis over at GM-Volt.com, Lutz admitted, "We are actually studying the adaptation of Volt technology to the upcoming Orlando."

Naturally, spreading the extremely high development cost of the Volt's high-tech powertrain and lithium ion battery packs is certainly an attractive proposition for GM. Placing that Voltec drivetrain in the Orlando makes a lot of sense as it would seemingly allow GM to offer a fuel-saving vehicle with strong mass-market appeal."

But Bob you said that wagons won't work here

I also hope that they fix that hideous mug and give it the Chevy face ala Volt & new 'Bu. It looks like the grill off the last 'Bu before the MCE.

Edited by 67impss

I know that is a concept. But it looks really nice. It gives people over 5'9'' and option for the electric motor!

But Bob you said that wagons won't work here

I think something like a tall wagon or a mini MPV might work. A wagon as in Audi A6 wagon is what Lutz was talking about, I think...

This is not a wagon but a MPV. This will replace the HHR which is a Retro MPV and while it is on a car platform too it is treated more as a SUV or MPV.

Car based wagons are a hard sell in this country just as most car diesels.

This is only the first step of many more cars that will see this option. As technology gets cheaper and better it will help GM a lot. The Volt itself will not save GM but the technology that comes from it will be used GM wide as time goes on.

The Volt is like the moon shot. It was not so much that man stepped on the moon the benifited the human race as much as it was the technology that was develeoped to get there. It is not the destination but the drive.

GM always comes up with many things first but for many years has failed to capitalize on them. If they reap the technology from the Volt it will help them in many ways. More efficent other system other than drivetrain will also work their ways into the other cars.

I do not find this hidious and it is a concept. The Nox look fine with it's family nose. God knows there are much worse out there. Any Toyota and Acura or G6 GXP for that matter.

This is not a wagon but a MPV. This will replace the HHR which is a Retro MPV and while it is on a car platform too it is treated more as a SUV or MPV.

Car based wagons are a hard sell in this country just as most car diesels.

I don't know where you get your info from, must be from some other planet that has only single people!

Ask any family person if a multi-purpose vehicle is better suited for their needs, than a sedan!

Car-based wagons only went out when mini-vans were created, because they (mini-vans) offered more utility for family needs!

This whole craze of SUV, CUV's is a compromise, because wagons, useful wagons are not available anymore. The Volvo and M-B wagons are over-priced and too luxurious for the average joe-family man!

What GM needs to build is a Malibu WAGON! I'll bet they would sell a ton of them!

AND, BTW, they better be damn sure that the second row seats fold ABSOLUTELY FLAT, or

forget the folding seat concept! If it isn't flat, like the Traverse is not, then it is absolutely useless

as an extended cargo space!

Edited by rkmdogs

Uh, rkm, the Magnum might not have had a third-row seat, but it was an affordable, full-sized wagon. Look how well it sold.

Uh, rkm, the Magnum might not have had a third-row seat, but it was an affordable, full-sized wagon. Look how well it sold.

The Magnum was a joke as a wagon! It resembled the profile of a Sherman tank!

Did you ever try to load anything thru the tailgate?

It was a retro--- back to everything that a wagon SHOULD NOT be!!!!!

If they want a USEFUL wagon, make it like this!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/rkm...concept-01d.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/rkm...concept-01c.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/rkm...concept-01b.jpg

Edited by rkmdogs

What are you nuts? There's nothing retro about the Magnum. And you must not know what a tank looks like.

Yes utility as compromised a bit by the design, but its till had plenty of utility. Someone on this board owns one and will be happy to tell you that it's plenty practical.

What are you nuts? There's nothing retro about the Magnum. And you must not know what a tank looks like.

Yes utility as compromised a bit by the design, but its till had plenty of utility. Someone on this board owns one and will be happy to tell you that it's plenty practical.

Well, was it as practical as this???

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/rkm...330wagon-02.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/rkm...330wagon-03.jpg

I think NOT!!! It was a reflection of Germanic philosophy, not AMERICAN practicality!

Don't get me wrong Dodgefan, I own a practical Dodge product -- a 2008 Dodge Caliber! It was the only vehicle of this size, besides an HHR that had FLAT-FOLDING second-row seats!

Edited by rkmdogs

Well, was it as practical as this???

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/rkm...330wagon-03.jpg

I think NOT!!! It was a reflection of Germanic philosophy, not AMERICAN practicality!

I wouldn't know, you got the interior cargo volume for both cars handy?

By the way, the only thing German about the Magnum was the suspension design.

I wouldn't know, you got the interior cargo volume for both cars handy?

By the way, the only thing German about the Magnum was the suspension design.

Cargo volume is the current line of Mopar B/S being put out! They won't tell you

linear dimensions! I asked many times what was the length from the rear hatch to the back of the

front row seats in my '05 Chrysler T & C ---- and nobody could tell me! They have to have the

numbers to calculate a volume, but they don't share that info, because they may not be

straight-line numbers!

Volume is nice data if you are storing balloons filled with a liquid. But don't try that with a

dresser or a refrigerator! They don't squish!

I don't have the data on hand that you asked for, and I have had difficulty getting info on the

mid-size wagons that Mopar made ---- which, along with the '80's Malibu wagons wer some of

the most practical wagons made!

I had a Monaco 9-pass. wagon that could not handle as much as my Belvedere wagon!

I can't recall the last time I saw the specs of any car that measured the cargo by anything other than cubic feet.

I do know the Magnum didn't have the most cargo volume in its class, but then that's the price for the rising belt line and chopped roof that made it look so cool (IMHO). Plus it still had way more than any sedan. It and the new CTS wagon are my favorite wagons.

magnum is a nice ride. it lacks huge cargo space, but the rear hatch was awesome.

the magnums problem was its ghetto image, its dime store interior, and high price at retail.

they also refused to build a lot of the proper configuration, an AWD v6 with a 5 speed. nobody wants a 2.7 slug 4 pot in a car with a 120 inch wheelbase and no traction in the winter.

Edited by regfootball

Tanks have high profile and slit-like openings to view thru.

But even Allpar, a Mopar enthusiast website had this to say about the Magnum.

"

The low glass-to-body ratio gives Dodge Magnum SRT-8 a protective appearance, while giving the vehicle an unmistakable road presence. "

:neenerneener:

I can't recall the last time I saw the specs of any car that measured the cargo by anything other than cubic feet.

I do know the Magnum didn't have the most cargo volume in its class, but then that's the price for the rising belt line and chopped roof that made it look so cool (IMHO).(AND I DO NOT AGREE Plus it still had way more than any sedan. It and the new CTS wagon are my favorite wagons.

Well we were not talking about sedans, were we? And the CTS wagon is not here yet!

I can show you TONS of older car literature where dimensions are given LINEARLY! (Length,

width, height.) .... and these numbers are required by the old car standards data reports! These are

SAE requirements!

Some smart-ass ad-boy is probably the culprit who removed this info, 'cause he thought the

buyers were too damn dumb to care! It used to be in all the literature from every manufacturer,

and even more so in wagon and truck brochures!

Well we were not talking about sedans, were we? And the CTS wagon is not here yet!

I can show you TONS of older car literature where dimensions are given LINEARLY! (Length,

width, height.) .... and these numbers are required by the old car standards data reports! These are

SAE requirements!

Some smart-ass ad-boy is probably the culprit who removed this info, 'cause he thought the

buyers were too damn dumb to care! It used to be in all the literature from every manufacturer,

and even more so in wagon and truck brochures!

I'm referring to newer cars not older ones. As far as the CTS wagon, I've seen it in person and it's awesome. It's not going to have ultimate cargo capacity. It's like the magnum where function follows form, and I love that. If I want the most practicality I'll buy a minivan. Different strokes for different folks of course. It's just too bad there aren't more choices when it comes to wagons.

If they want a USEFUL wagon, make it like this!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/rkm...concept-01d.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/rkm...concept-01c.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/rkm...concept-01b.jpg

Well, Dodgefan shot holes through your post for me concerning the Magnum (how in the hell is it retro? because some people compared the roofline to an old step-down Hudson?), but let me remind you off the Passat Wagon. Another affordable, roomy wagon that no one ever really buys. Or how about the Taurus X/Freestyle? That was essentially a wagon and I didn't see many people take Ford up on it, especially after they renamed it.

Let me add to your automotive education.

After some extensive, exhausting search thru the archives, at no expense to you, I found

the following pieces of factory ad literature which shows ----- dimensions!

Isn't that amazing!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/rkm...litspecs-01.jpg

Well, Dodgefan shot holes through your post for me concerning the Magnum (how in the hell is it retro? because some people compared the roofline to an old step-down Hudson?), but let me remind you off the Passat Wagon. Another affordable, roomy wagon that no one ever really buys. Or how about the Taurus X/Freestyle? That was essentially a wagon and I didn't see many people take Ford up on it, especially after they renamed it.

Let me again show a comparison. This is a wagon ---

This is a wannabe "tank", Panzer variety!

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a234/rkm...-magnum-100.jpg

The Passat wagon is a wagon, but try to find one! ----- and the price, don't ask unless you are

sitting down. We looked for a Jetta wagon before buying our Caliber: none found!

The Taurus "Freestyle was really a CUV trying to be a wagon or a Tahoe wannabe!

Again, the wagon arena is an area that NONE of the manufacturers, except Volvo and Mercedes

have devoted any serious design thought to that concept!

Pass around the concept pics in one of my blogs above, and see what they say.

Mid-sized, RWD, sliding 2nd doors, a true tailgate.

These are features you cannot find anymore.

The Envoy XUV was the closest since the old International Traveler, but it was too

complicated and too expensive, and TOO BIG!

I think you need to learn the distinction between what a tank looks like and what a Magnum looks like.

This is a Panzer tank you go on and on about:

Panzer-tank-4vu.jpg

german_panzer4_tank_panzer_iv_mark_iv.jp

And this is a Dodge Magnum:

2006_Dodge_magnum_front1_lr.jpg

2008-Dodge-Magnum-SRT8-Rear-And-Side-128

OMFG THAY LOOK SO ALIKE!11

It's a wagon. It may not be your ideal wagon, but it's a wagon just the same.

I do think it is about time we start seeing wagons come 'round again. I can't see every model having a wagon version, but I think a mainstream wagon, like the malibu, could work very well.

Anyway, to each their own.

Some want form to follow function, some want function to dollow form.

You've got a Town and Country so you're all set as far as practicality goes...especially if it has Stow `n Go.

I think you need to learn the distinction between what a tank looks like and what a Magnum looks like.

This is a Panzer tank you go on and on about:

Panzer-tank-4vu.jpg

german_panzer4_tank_panzer_iv_mark_iv.jp

And this is a Dodge Magnum:

2006_Dodge_magnum_front1_lr.jpg

2008-Dodge-Magnum-SRT8-Rear-And-Side-128

OMFG THAY LOOK SO ALIKE!11

It's a wagon. It may not be your ideal wagon, but it's a wagon just the same.

They look the same ----- to me! :unitedstates:

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0