Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Is this a trend? Camaro beats Mustang in sales for second straight month

9 posts in this topic

Filed under: Car Buying, Convertible, Coupe, Performance, Chevrolet, Ford, By the Numbers

cammust_opt-630.jpg

Last month we learned Chevy sold more Camaros in June than Ford did Mustangs. It's like 1969 all over again. Now, we did state that, "as The General has a backlog of 10,000 sold orders to fill (equating to less than a seven day supply), the streak is likely to continue for at least the next few months." But you know, with GM still being in the federal dog house and all that, plus with Ford being on the up and up, we wouldn't have been shocked to see more 'Stangs than 'Maros moving off lots during July. Only once again, Chevy beat Ford in the pony car sales department.

That said, Chevy sold about 2,200 less Camaros (9,320 vs. 7,113) in July than they did June -- and that's with Cash for Clunkers running at full tilt. For their part, Ford sold about 1,000 fewer Mustangs (7,632 vs. 6,686) month-to-month. Drawn out on a long enough graph, and Ford will eventually sell more Mustangs. That's if reading trends wasn't just like reading tea leaves. As far as why the Camaro continues to outsell the Mustang, we'll chalk that up to the Chevy's newness. Once the General fulfills all of its backlogged orders, we're thinking the Mustang is just too tough an opponent to continually beat. Even if they keep covering the Chevy in Gobots Transfromers bunting. Either way, we'll see you back here next month.

Is this a trend? Camaro beats Mustang in sales for second straight month originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 03 Aug 2009 19:27:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=cJrTFGXNXwc:PExScGAiUZA:wF9xT autoblog?i=cJrTFGXNXwc:PExScGAiUZA:V_sGL
cJrTFGXNXwc

View the full article

Amazing in that shot how alike the 2 cars are design-wise.

compare the new fusion to the malibu....and you see Ford design was inhaling on Chevy's successes. although, domed hood, unique lower intake, big grille opening, all starting to be pretty universal.

Amazing in that shot how alike the 2 cars are design-wise.

Yeah..quite different in the execution and detailing, but the elements are so similar--rectangular mirrors, round lights, divided oblong turn signals inboard of the headlights, horizontal, relatively narrow grille, wide slot low in the fascia, hood bulge, etc...

Rob

It's depressing, really. In the round, they don't come off that way at all IMO, but in general design sure has homogenized in the last few decades......

Yeah..quite different in the execution and detailing, but the elements are so similar--rectangular mirrors, round lights, divided oblong turn signals inboard of the headlights, horizontal, relatively narrow grille, wide slot low in the fascia, hood bulge, etc...

Rob

IMO, the Camaro and Mustang have always looked similar, especially going back to the first-gen '60s pony cars.

1971_challenger_front.jpg

69SS396CamaroFront.jpg

117169826_da83ad4742.jpg

Javelin_front.JPG

I think '58 to the early '60s was the high point of automotive styling differentiation and the '80s was the low point. I don't think the cars of the current generation are any less unique from each other than they were 30-40 years ago.

Two isn't a trend. That's coincidence. Three or more is. I'll call it a trend if the Camaro beats the Mustang in the month of August.

I'll call it a trend when the Camaro has 45 years of uninterrupted sales while the Mustang takes a "hiatus".

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room