Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Top ten vehicles bought and traded for cash for clunkers

26 posts in this topic

This may not be significant, but I was watching the news and I did not know Pontiac G8 qualified for "cash for clunkers". They showed this lot and dealer. They showed this couple who traded in their 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe for a Toyota Camry. Then they went to another dealer and they showed cars that qualified. The G8 had a huge sign on top of it that said "This car qualifies for Cash for Clunkers".

I thought G8 did not have so hot gas mileage? GM has been saying the gas mileage was not that great and that was one of the reasons why they were not continuing the car here as a Chevrolet.

Did I miss something?

Okay:

Top 10 List of Cars Bought:

1. Ford Focus

2. Honda Civic

3. Toyota Corolla

4. Toyota Prius

5. Ford Escape

6. Toyota Camry

7. Dodge Caliber

8. Hyundai Elantra

9. Honda Fit

10. Chevrolet Cobalt

Top 10 List of Traded Vehicles:

1. Ford Explorer 4 Wheel drive

2. Ford F150 4 wheel drive

3. Jeep Grand Cherokee 4 wheel drive

4. Jeep Cherokee 4 wheel drive

5. Dodge Caravan/Grand Caravan

6. Chevrolet Blazer 4 wheel drive

7. Ford Explorer 2 wheel drive

8. Ford F-150 2 wheel drive

9. Chevrolet C1500 two wheel drive

10. Ford Windstar

I thought it interesting GM is not really on these lists either way really. I thought people were mad at GM. I thought GM made all these gas guzzling cars ( note sarcasm) Did I miss something here too?

The top 10 traded list looks a lot like the top 10 in sales circa 2000.

I saw a breakdown that included model year, the top 3 trade-ins were 97-99 Explorers.

Horrible to see so many imported nameplates on the "bought" list. For us to get some of our money back for the bailouts, this program should have been geared toward our traditional Big 3 domestic automakers.

Wow, lots of Fords being traded in.

Stands to reason, doesn't it. Exploders and when was the last time they even made a Windstar? F150 best selling VEHICLE in the the US...

F150 2wd listed twice?

I apologize. It was supposed to be Ford F-150 4 wheel drive the first one.

Can you correct that?

No one has answered my question on the Pontiac G8.

G8 doesn't qualify, V6 or V8.

Edited by Satty

Could have been worse... 7 in the top 10 are made in the US, with high domestic parts content.

Wow, pow, that's just not the same, at least to me.

I apologize. It was supposed to be Ford F-150 4 wheel drive the first one.

Can you correct that?

Yes I can. In fact, I did :)

No one has answered my question on the Pontiac G8.

If anyone trades in a G8 on C4C, I thinks several members of this board will ensure that person has a slow, painful death.

I dont see anyone trading a G8 in as a clunker simply because it would be damn near impossible for one to have a trade-in value under $4500. But you cannot redeem a clunker for $ towards a G8, both models are rated at 20mpg per the government.

I dont see anyone trading a G8 in as a clunker simply because it would be damn near impossible for one to have a trade-in value under $4500. But you cannot redeem a clunker for $ towards a G8, both models are rated at 20mpg per the government.

I would think they meant the other way around..trade a clunker towards a V6 G8..they probably are rated at more than 20?

Rob

Horrible to see so many imported nameplates on the "bought" list. For us to get some of our money back for the bailouts, this program should have been geared toward our traditional Big 3 domestic automakers.

The bill would never have passed had it excluded the import brands...the Southern reps/senators w/ import plants in their states would have voted it down.

Rob

Neither G8 model is eligible for C4C, the V6 is rated at a combined 20, so the government doesn't want you to buy one.

I thought it interesting GM is not really on these lists either way really. I thought people were mad at GM. I thought GM made all these gas guzzling cars ( note sarcasm) Did I miss something here too?

Ford sold a lot more F150s and Explorers 10 years ago than GM sold Tahoes/Yukons/Suburbans, I think...

Rob

Didn't they try to sneak a "Buy American" provision into C4C or was that just the stimulus? I remember it was shot down by some of the good 'ol boy Southerners.

I saw a breakdown that included model year, the top 3 trade-ins were 97-99 Explorers.

Makes sense...people stuck with a 10+ yr old SUV w/ over 100k that's nickel and diming them to death, this is an opportunity to move up to something new..

Rob

Makes sense...people stuck with a 10+ yr old SUV w/ over 100k that's nickel and diming them to death, this is an opportunity to move up to something new..

Rob

+1

Ford sold a lot more F150s and Explorers 10 years ago than GM sold Tahoes/Yukons/Suburbans, I think...

Rob

Pretty close....

Wow, lots of Fords being traded in.

yeah but like 10 years ago, the explorer and f150 prob sold a million units combined.

Rob

10 year old Suburbans & Tahoes are worth keeping, 10 year old Explorers are not.

Didn't they try to sneak a "Buy American" provision into C4C or was that just the stimulus? I remember it was shot down by some of the good 'ol boy Southerners.

Likely another case for the argument of 'protectionism' that is to be avoided. It was reported that more than half of the vehicles were built in the US, so at least there was the benefit of moneys to the labour-force; albeit, very indirectly.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0