Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Why you reportedly won't be seeing Chevy's Camaro doing the NASCAR roundy-round

10 posts in this topic

Filed under: Motorsports, Coupe, Performance, Chevrolet, GM

camaro_no_nascar.jpg

There are people who have been waiting to find out if Chevrolet's new Camaro is going to be doing the NASCAR rounds and ovals, and yesterday General Motors' head of motorsport issued the answer: No. Why not? Because GM wants the Camaro to look like a Camaro when it races, not like that NASCAR Mustang that was rolled out a week ago.

GM's Mark Kent said that because of "the need to have templated bodies in that series, we felt that by forcing the Camaro into the Nationwide templates that we were compromising the body lines of an iconic car." Instead, Bumblebee could be headed to the KONI Challenge series or drag racing with the NHRA. No disrespect to NASCAR, but they'll be places where you can see racing Camaros instead of racing stickers.

[source: Orlando Sentinel]

Why you reportedly won't be seeing Chevy's Camaro doing the NASCAR roundy-round originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 05 Aug 2009 11:30:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=jbG14WVSEW0:IWX0y-I4B8M:wF9xT autoblog?i=jbG14WVSEW0:IWX0y-I4B8M:V_sGL
jbG14WVSEW0

View the full article

Good! The Mustang looks stupid in the NW template!

By the way, the Camaro in the photo above looks SICK!!!! Especially with those Hoosier tires!

Good! The Mustang looks stupid in the NW template!

By the way, the Camaro in the photo above looks SICK!!!! Especially with those Hoosier tires!

Yes...that's a real Camaro race car, not NASCAR cartoon car nonsense. The blue #6 car above is gorgeous.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I never would have imagined it would even have been considered anyway. The single template design for all cars makes for more competitive racing. The Camaro would be useless.

:confused0071: ooo... just looked at the mustang... looks like Fail On Race Day to me.

The Mustang stock car was a shocker at first, but it's grown on me a bit.

Anyway, yes, please do not do that to the Camaro. Thanks.

I heard a while back GM was not going to bring the Camaro. I thought this would be a big mistake as I figures they would let them at least get the bodies a little closer to something that looked appealing.

Now I see the finished Mustang GM did the right thing. You can get away with this kind of body if you have a sedan or plain coupe. But with pony cars the styling is part of what they really are and you remove that what do you have left.

GM just need to make the NWS car a Bu and be done with it.

If the France family wants pony cars make a series for them to run in the Daytona series and run them in the 24 HR on stock platforms on the road course. That is why I am going to ALMS to see the Vettes this week. The new GT2 is more stock than last years car and will be a giant killer by the time they are done.

Good decision. The Mustang looks like $h! just imagine what the Camaro would look like.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0