Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Spy Shots: Mystery BMW concept headed for Frankfurt

19 posts in this topic

Filed under: Concept Cars, Frankfurt Auto Show, Spy Photos, BMW

concept2-630.jpg
Mystery BMW concept - click above for high-res image gallery

It looks like someone at BMW is going to be in big trouble shortly. It appears that what we are looking at here is the concept car that the German automaker expected to unveil at the Frankfurt Motor Show next month as it is loaded up for transport. The new design study is reportedly some sort of sustainable sports car concept and is likely to include a variety of the brand's Efficient Dynamics technologies. Judging from the size of the vehicle shown in the snapshots from our friends at Bimmerpost, this showcar may well give us a strong indication of the design direction for the next-generation 3 Series which is just two years away. Judging by the visible cut-line of the door in the lower middle of the car, this may a four door, likely of the "four door coupe" persuasion, or perhaps a touring-style hatchback.

We may well be seeing some of the rumored powertrain for the new 3 including a turbocharged three-cylinder engine and some sort of hybrid drive system. Style wise, the concept appears to retain the elongated headlights that have appeared on the new Z4, 7 and 5 Series models, but with an even shorter front overhang. With the expected emphasis on aerodynamics for the new 3, it looks like the base of the windshield has moved forward giving the glass more rake than the current car. Oh, and that high-riding stance? We're assuming that's a byproduct of shipping block wedges, not actual design intent. We hope. A fine tip of the hat to Mo!

[source: Bimmerpost]

Spy Shots: Mystery BMW concept headed for Frankfurt originally appeared on Autoblog on Wed, 05 Aug 2009 16:51:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=fYal_ZdgCWo:uknGb45qggQ:wF9xT autoblog?i=fYal_ZdgCWo:uknGb45qggQ:V_sGL
fYal_ZdgCWo

View the full article

From what I can tell, the front of the car looks frighteningly like the Mitsubishi Lancer ...

Very short overhangs...long front wheel to door distance..yep, definitely a RWD BMW. Slick. I read somewhere recently that the next 3 series would include a GT 5dr like the 5-series GT, but this looks very sleek..

Rob

Those corolla S skirts look extremely tacky.

And while it may or may not predict the styling for the 3, this bagged car looks enormous!

Those corolla S skirts look extremely tacky.

And while it may or may not predict the styling for the 3, this bagged car looks enormous!

I don't know about the Corolla, but that style of skirting has been a BMW thing for a long time...the E36 M3 had a similar design, 15 years ago.

Rob

OK, but the 4 separated pieces are only going to recall the corolla, not an old BMW 'no one remembers'. :wink: :wink: :wink: :P

If you don't remember the E36 M3 you probably don't give a $h! about cars.

Yes- because postrating oneself at the Alter of BMW is to achieve Total Enlightenment. :rolleyes:

Never driven an M3 but I did drive a 330i and yeah, not much that drives better than them...I mean, only if you care about such silly things are cornering, steering accuracy and feel, braking and stuff.

That stuff's not "silly", but it's far from all that makes up a car, and the criteria of a car enthusiast, IMO.

That stuff's not "silly", but it's far from all that makes up a car, and the criteria of a car enthusiast, IMO.

I completely agree with you, just like how which wheels putting the power down doesn't make a person any less of a car anthuiast for like one or the other...or the other.

However I have great respect for the 3-Series, and would love to own one except for the potential cost of maintaining it. :P

Never driven an M3 but I did drive a 330i and yeah, not much that drives better than them...I mean, only if you care about such silly things are cornering, steering accuracy and feel, braking and stuff.

I loved my E36 M3 when I had it... not the fastest car, but the best all around driving I've owned/driven...great handling and balance, great brakes, fantastic steering feel. A bit spartan inside, but clean styling and great proportions outside. Had an ex-girlfriend with an E46 330Ci, it drove beautifully also. I'd love to drive a newer one.

I've driven a couple E39 540is, they were great..

I wouldn't mind owning another BMW, but probably a lease or a CPO...the prices on new ones are just too over the top in comparison to equivalent models from other makes--especially option pricing-- and the maintenance costs as they age get high.

I'm currently more interested in trying a Cadillac or Lincoln for my next practical car, and maybe a new Camaro or another Mustang for my next fun car.

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Dodgefan - >>"I completely agree with you, just like how which wheels putting the power down doesn't make a person any less of a car anthuiast for like one or the other...or the other."<<

:scratchchin: You're not trying to lure me into praising FWD... are you ??? :confused0071:

:P

I completely agree with you, just like how which wheels putting the power down doesn't make a person any less of a car anthuiast for like one or the other...or the other.

But what about B-pillars? :)

I loved my E36 M3 when I had it... not the fastest car, but the best all around driving I've owned/driven...great handling and balance, great brakes, fantastic steering feel. A bit spartan inside, but clean styling and great proportions outside. Had an ex-girlfriend with an E46 330Ci, it drove beautifully also. I'd love to drive a newer one.

I've driven a couple E39 540is, they were great..

I wouldn't mind owning another BMW, but probably a lease or a CPO...the prices on new ones are just too over the top in comparison to equivalent models from other makes--especially option pricing-- and the maintenance costs as they age get high.

I'm currently more interested in trying a Cadillac or Lincoln for my next practical car, and maybe a new Camaro or another Mustang for my next fun car.

Rob

Have you considered European Delivery? The ED invoice for a 128i coupe is under $25K.

Have you considered European Delivery? The ED invoice for a 128i coupe is under $25K.

European Delivery is great...have a couple friends that have done it. Definitely something I'd like to do.

Rob