Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Living unencumbered

One of my clients leaves their house unlocked & open, which in this era is naturally surprising... but they really have nothing to steal if you assessed it (not that I'm in any way a potential thief).

I can't do it, I like things too much. And frankly- I would be... I guess it would be bored if I were to live like that.

I don't know about off of the grid but I am simplifying.

Working on paying off the house...

Get books from the library rather than buy them...I love to read. I shop for clothes at the thirft store and don't care about having much.

I like the idea. I plan to travel as I get older.

In your case, I would sell the mother truck, the Jag the wagon perhaps and the Camino. You need the big truck for work, and you could make the other truck run forever.

Get one car you really want, build it and hold onto it. Build a clone of the 71 GMC Spring big block perhaps. Or build a clone of a 50's Pontiac Delivery. Whatever floats your boat.

But as for me I have 5 children, so life can only get so simple.

Chris

I can't do it, I like things too much.

Same here. I know I can't take it with me when I die (never seen a hearse with a luggage rack, have you?), but that doesn't mean I shouldn't enjoy it while I'm here.

Just decide what you really want and go after them. I'm selling off some stuff right now to drum up extra funds for the Eldorado. Working for a foreign car dealer makes it all the more a priority to drive something big, obnoxious, and unmistakably American (even moreso than my Suburban) ASAP!

I enjoy "things" as well, I'm thinking of wiping the slate clean for a bit rather than swearing-off having possessions.

I've always said that "you are as free as you make yourself" - so I'm just thinking about making myself a bit freer for a while.

I'm tired of being tired and pissed-off.

I don't really understand asceticism. Call me materialistic, but I like to experience things.

Camino: If you don't mind me asking, what are you so tired and pissed about?

XP715 - >>"I know I can't take it with me when I die..."<<

You can if you're build your own coffin ! :ninja:

True, but that's crazy and too selfish for me. Sure, I could be like Sandra West (the lady that got buried in her Ferrari), but I'd rather my stuff be dispersed amongst others that like the same stuff I do. I like going out and hunting down that next piece of whatever that becomes a member of my permanent collection. I like hanging onto something so that future generations will be able to know of its existence beyond what wikipedia says.

I don't really understand asceticism. Call me materialistic, but I like to experience things.

Camino: If you don't mind me asking, what are you so tired and pissed about?

Ascetism isn't really what I'm after, nor is it a philosophy I follow.

And no, I don't mind you asking at all.

I'm tired of the status quo I've been living with, and pissed about a great many things. Mostly pissed about being stuck in a position that requires a ton of maintenance just to remain standing essentially still.

I want to give the old snow globe a vigorous shake.

And see where the flakes fall.

Edited by Camino LS6

I'm an American, I like things, and have been accused from time to time of being a bit materialistic...yeah don't wanna give that up.

Yes, I like things too. While living very basic has a sort of unique appealed, but only for a "getaway" not something I'd want to do everyday.

I'm an American, I like things, and have been accused from time to time of being a bit materialistic...yeah don't wanna give that up.

Nothing wrong with that. I like stuff, and enjoy experiences, and traveling. All require bank. I make good bank, spend some, save some. I've been accused of being materialistic, self-absorbed, and arrogant, but I've earned those labels.

Rob

I once vacationed at a hotel WITHOUT wireless internet. :ninja:

I can see where you're coming from, Camino. Sometimes being a cog in the machine can get to you. Sometimes the cog needs a break, but the inertia of the rest of the machine forces the cog to keep moving against its will because it "needs" to or "is expected to". Before you unload the wagon, fill it with a few changes of clothing, find a sitter for the dogs, and head to a remote location for a few days. Forget this place, forget GM and the air of suckitude that surrounds the automotive industry, and *live* for a few days.

Nothing wrong with that. I like stuff, and enjoy experiences, and traveling. All require bank. I make good bank, spend some, save some. I've been accused of being materialistic, self-absorbed, and arrogant, but I've earned those labels.

Rob

Add: Self-absorbed; ensconced in your 'press clippings' as you seem to be.

Modern man unmasked.

Aye, there's the rub.

I once vacationed at a hotel WITHOUT wireless internet. :ninja:

I rarely ever take a laptop w/ me on vacation...last time I did was when I was in San Diego on the beach for a week in '05. I really like to disconnect when I'm on holiday, whether it's the mountains of Colorado, Hawaii, Italy, or the UK.... though on 2 week trips in Europe, I do try and get to internet cafes once or twice.

Sooner or later, though, I will get a smart phone, which will make disconnecting harder..

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

Go spend a week with the Amish (you can visit OB!) and you'll swear off this idea forever.

I enjoyed driving out in Amish country when I lived in Ohio (15-20 minutes from home). Great winding, hilly roads. But being stuck on a road where you can't pass behind a buggy is not fun, nor are driving over horse pies..

Rob

I rarely ever take a laptop w/ me on vacation...last time I did was when I was in San Diego on the beach for a week in '05. I really like to disconnect when I'm on holiday, whether it's the mountains of Colorado, Hawaii, Italy, or the UK.... though on 2 week trips in Europe, I do try and get to internet cafes once or twice.

Sooner or later, though, I will get a smart phone, which will make disconnecting harder..

Rob

I take a laptop, but never for work. I mainly use it to dump the pics from my digital camera and find local restaurants/attractions in a pinch. When I go away in September, I'll have a smartphone and a 4GB SD card in the digi, so the LT might just stay home.

Has anyone here ever tried it really?

Keeping nothing beyond what is truly essential?

The concept is tempting me.

Yes I have. I am planning to move in September into a newer apartment, which is smaller. I got rid of my excessive clothes, books, utensils, games, knick knacks, old magazines that I do not need. It is difficult, but I am loving it, feels like renewed energy. I want to be a hermit ready to move without packing too much or stuff. I came to this country with two suitcases and two carry ons, strangely I cannot fit my stuff into one U-Haul, so things have to go. I just close my heart and ruthlessly throw stuff away even though it may be emotional. If already feels like a fresh start.

My next phase is getting rid of crap on my computers - songs, pictures, notes, etc. that have outlived my needs.

I found my car joys without losing myself.

Then you are lucky that you haven't had to find true joy in life without finding something much uglier first.

For some of us, we stumble into a dark place that we most certainly have to find our way out of. It is, for the most part, different for each person. A long, drawn-out process can be in store in order for you to find your way out and it can make you haggard. There are some people who let it get the best of them, and they never find their way out. For the people that do make it out, they have a much better appreciation and a clearer perspective of life and are stronger people.

We all have to face our demons sooner or later. Sometimes they'll show face when you least expect it. You are never fully and truly prepared to face them.

Take it from me. I've been there before. And who knows? I might just have to go through it again in the future. I know I still have plenty of life left to live, even still.

I don't want to speak for Camino, but it seems what's troubling him runs much deeper than the automotive industry. And I don't think he means living like a hermit in a shack in the woods, either.

Like Moltar said, I can see why and know why someone wouldn't want to live out their time on this big ball of dirt functioning as just another small, insignificant part of the machine. Some people just aren't meant to function that way.

Edited by YellowJacket894

&#036;h&#33; that was supposed to be "keys not "joys". My joke has been ruined by my own brain fart. :(

For that, sir, I award you this big bowl of failure flakes.

SuperStock_1532R-5041.jpg

As for life's unpleasant surprises, I'm not big on sharing them with the internet most of the time.

And neither am I. I only offer insight into them based on what I've been through, when I feel like I have to share it. It doesn't extend beyond that.

For that, sir, I award you this big bowl of failure flakes.

SuperStock_1532R-5041.jpg

And neither am I. I only offer insight into them based on what I've been through, when I feel like I have to share it. It doesn't extend beyond that.

Tasty fail flakes are tasty.

As for the the second part, all I will say is that I've had my share of unpleasantness, but there's no point in getting hung up on it. It will pass and things will get better. The important thing is to not give up. Not directing this at anyone, just how I personally look at it.

If you sugar coat them.

As for the the second part, all I will say is that I've had my share of unpleasantness, but there's no point in getting hung up on it. It will pass and things will get better. The important thing is to not give up. Not directing this at anyone, just how I personally look at it.

That's how I've come to see it.

Then you are lucky that you haven't had to find true joy in life without finding something much uglier first.

For some of us, we stumble into a dark place that we most certainly have to find our way out of. It is, for the most part, different for each person. A long, drawn-out process can be in store in order for you to find your way out and it can make you haggard. There are some people who let it get the best of them, and they never find their way out. For the people that do make it out, they have a much better appreciation and a clearer perspective of life and are stronger people.

We all have to face our demons sooner or later. Sometimes they'll show face when you least expect it. You are never fully and truly prepared to face them.

Take it from me. I've been there before. And who knows? I might just have to go through it again in the future. I know I still have plenty of life left to live, even still.

I don't want to speak for Camino, but it seems what's troubling him runs much deeper than the automotive industry. And I don't think he means living like a hermit in a shack in the woods, either.

Like Moltar said, I can see why and know why someone wouldn't want to live out their time on this big ball of dirt functioning as just another small, insignificant part of the machine. Some people just aren't meant to function that way.

Wow!

Impressive bit of thinking there.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I'll keep you posted.

Ascetism isn't really what I'm after, nor is it a philosophy I follow.

And no, I don't mind you asking at all.

I'm tired of the status quo I've been living with, and pissed about a great many things. Mostly pissed about being stuck in a position that requires a ton of maintenance just to remain standing essentially still.

I want to give the old snow globe a vigorous shake.

And see where the flakes fall.

Change is actually good and healthy. Go for it!

Chris

My escape is a good trip to the country. I could care less if I'm offline for a while when I'm away.

Why do you think I love having a convertible so much? A good drive out of the city is wonderful...it helps clear my head.

Chris

Yes I have. I am planning to move in September into a newer apartment, which is smaller. I got rid of my excessive clothes, books, utensils, games, knick knacks, old magazines that I do not need. It is difficult, but I am loving it, feels like renewed energy. I want to be a hermit ready to move without packing too much or stuff. I came to this country with two suitcases and two carry ons, strangely I cannot fit my stuff into one U-Haul, so things have to go. I just close my heart and ruthlessly throw stuff away even though it may be emotional. If already feels like a fresh start.

My next phase is getting rid of crap on my computers - songs, pictures, notes, etc. that have outlived my needs.

I love this way of thinking.

Chris

Kind of like what one of my friends who grew up on a farm said about life. "Life is like a big pile of cow&#036;h&#33;, and you are an ant. You get out from under one pile and another pile falls down on top of you. The important thing is to keep moving."

I think I will.

And if you wish to visit Ohio for a few days to clear your head, I could find a good place for Zora and Arkus.

I have a friend who has some rural land if you just want to go quad and four wheel (he has a CJ-7 as well.)

Maybe you just need to load up the wagon and do a C and G road trip?

Too bad you can't sell the mothertruck and do the route 66 thing with knightfan.

Chris

I'm a big-time minimalist. I like it that way. No clutter.

I skimp on most things and then take a big trip for 2 to 3 weeks (stay in nice places and eat well for the least amount of money). I don't consider this materialistic as much as it is feeding the intellect and nurturing the soul. It's to relax and it's cheaper than therapy.

I've got two cars, but sooner or later, the Regal will go and I will only have the newer one (which I paid less than $20 K for).

Other than that, I have few furnishings, no pictures anywhere, next to nothing in the refrigerator and have some decent suits and casual clothes that I bought at the outlets.

For me, happiness comes more so from things inside one's head or life experiences than it does from possessions.

It would take some major event to make me give up my "things." I guess if it meant survival, I could leave it all behind. But otherwise, I enjoy possessions.

One thing that has always been odd for me growing up is that my mom is kind of a neat freak while my dad grew up in a household of packrats, so I have grown up with both sides and taken on a little of each. Certain things I "packrat" are car magazines (I have a hard time throwing them away because I think of how neat it will be to read them 20 years down the road), but other times I will get out a trash bag and just start throwing things at random that I don't see any need for.