Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Buick teases baby Enclave, promises 2011 plug-in hybrid version

45 posts in this topic

buick_plug_in_hybrid_teaser_main630-0806

When General Motors sells Saturn later this year it will lose more than a quarter of its sales of hybrid vehicles. Saturn, with no V8 models, full-size SUVs or pickups, is GM’s most fuel-efficient brand and is second only to Chevrolet for overall hybrid sales with its Vue and Aura mild-hybrid models. One of these models, the Vue crossover, was destined to spawn an advanced plug-in hybrid variant, however, now this model will be sold under the Buick brand. Set to arrive in 2011, the new Buick plug-in hybrid will be able to seat five adults and is expected to be the first commercially available plug-in hybrid crossover produced by a major automaker.

2011 Buick plug-in hybrid crossover

buick_plug_in_hybrid_teaser_001-0806-120 buick_plug_in_hybrid_teaser_002-0806-120

Read more

View the full article

That looks suspiciously like the Vue's front end.

Another one of Lutz's great ideas... a Saturn re badged as a Buick! YAY!

Well, this tells us that Penske probably had no interest in continuing to buy the Vue from GM after the initial contract is up, or GM had no interest in supplying it.

They're taking their time on this... the VUE 2-Mode was supposed to be here earlier this year, and the plug-in VUE was planned for 2010.

By the way, that Buick grills looks terrible.

B-but I thought Fritz wasn't a fan of rebadging. :confused0071:

It seems Buick is going to have the same scatterbrained feel throughout its lineup that Pontiac has had to deal with. They have a good thing going with the Enclave and LaCrosse - stylish vehicles that say BUICK - but that plan appears to be over because GME wants to shove Opels down everyone's throat.

Wow, a Vue with a Buick grille on it. Once again, the "new GM" looks a lot like the "old GM." I hope this is just a concept photo and not what the vehicle will actually look like.

It has to be a concept photo. If GM thinks they will get away with this. PFFFFTT.

B-but I thought Fritz wasn't a fan of rebadging. :confused0071:

It seems Buick is going to have the same scatterbrained feel throughout its lineup that Pontiac has had to deal with. They have a good thing going with the Enclave and LaCrosse - stylish vehicles that say BUICK - but that plan appears to be over because GME wants to shove Opels down everyone's throat.

What's wrong with opels. The problem was that Saturn was taking some opels and not taking some. Plus, the ones they did take were way too expensive.

I guess nothing, on paper. Aura and Astra are OK, though they leave me cold personally. I'm just having a hard time accepting them as Buicks. Say what you want about the Chinese, but they did their homework on what made Buick so great and have created vehicles that are throroughly Buick inside and out. To throw away what was started by the LaCrosse and Enclave in favor of continuing to provide Opel with a US outlet for its cars is a shame IMO. The end result is the same as it was for Pontiac: 2 great cars and a bunch of rebadges.

Interesting... the front fenders are new, and they incorporate Opel's new "blade" design.

It looks more and more like Astra, Insignia, Antara + LaCrosse, Enclave. I'm fine with that, as long as it's more Opel than Chinese-market Buick. The Insignia OPC is hot, the SAIC Regal isn't.

Fritz vetoed the G8 going to Chevrolet as a Caprice, then it turns out not more than a few weeks later, Buick debuts the current Antara/Vue as a "baby Enclave."

The more I see of what's going on, the more I think Fritz needs to hit the door.

Edited by YellowJacket894

The Insignia OPC is hot, the SAIC Regal isn't.

Take off all the the tack-ons from the OPC and they're the same car.

So despite of shedding three brands, we will have three Thetas (Equinox, Terrain, Bui-crap) of which two will be under one umbrella.

Even if GM ends up having one brand it will still have rebadges in the showroom.

Oh Herr Henderson, how hypocritical art thee. Your statement would have held truth, if you would have said, "I am not a fan of rebadging FUN, RWD vehicles," at least you would have not lost credibility.

What a joke.

Take off all the the tack-ons from the OPC and they're the same car.

Yes, but they make all the difference.

opel-insignia-opc.jpg

The Regal also has higher ground clearance and squishy tires.

So despite of shedding three brands, we will have three Thetas (Equinox, Terrain, Bui-crap) of which two will be under one umbrella.

Even if GM ends up having one brand it will still have rebadges in the showroom.

New boss same as the old boss. It's still the same GM, same platform sharing to keep the dealer body happy. With Buick as the new Saturn, this was inevitable.

I think it looks good, I like the grill, BUT, it's so blatantly a rebadged Vue that it's awful. An Antara-based Vue is good idea, IMO, considering the Antara/Vue have had good reviews in spite of being a bit porky. GM is already producing the vehicle in NA (Mexico), so it makes sense, and they already have a mostly developed 2-mode version (though it's shameful that it won't be available sooner). At least change the headlights, though - they more than almost anything else scream "rebadge".

I think it looks good, I like the grill, BUT, it's so blatantly a rebadged Vue that it's awful. An Antara-based Vue is good idea, IMO, considering the Antara/Vue have had good reviews in spite of being a bit porky. GM is already producing the vehicle in NA (Mexico), so it makes sense, and they already have a mostly developed 2-mode version (though it's shameful that it won't be available sooner). At least change the headlights, though - they more than almost anything else scream "rebadge".

They were already planning a Vue plugin hybrid, so it's natural that it will move to Buick..maybe to save money they will reuse the Vue badges and call it Uev (re-arrange the letters)--sounds like a hybrid name.. :)

Rob

They were already planning a Vue plugin hybrid, so it's natural that it will move to Buick..maybe to save money they will reuse the Vue badges and call it Uev (re-arrange the letters)--sounds like a hybrid name.. :)

Rob

Right, but it's an advantage and disadvantage. The Vue 2-mode was supposed to be ready as a 2010 model IIRC. Now we're looking at 2011 (model or calendar year IDK, I'll have to go back & look). It will be that much extra sad if this blatant rebadge is sold while GM is still supplying the Vue to Penske, which is through 2011 IIRC.

Right, but it's an advantage and disadvantage. The Vue 2-mode was supposed to be ready as a 2010 model IIRC. Now we're looking at 2011 (model or calendar year IDK, I'll have to go back & look). It will be that much extra sad if this blatant rebadge is sold while GM is still supplying the Vue to Penske, which is through 2011 IIRC.

Vue 2-mode was supposed to be out late 2008 or early 2009 followed by the plug-in Hybrid within a year, before Volt, i.e. end of 2009.

A lot of things worse than a Vue.

Buick will make it right. Lutz can do to this what he could not do when it was a lower priced Satun.

Either way this one will buy time till totally new product can be made ready. Unless you know of another way to make a new ground up vehicle in a year and a half?

Either way this is not thing to ger bent over. It is a good base for a well appointed vehicle. The mileage will be a selling point. One jump in gas prices could make this a best seller and the Enclave a lot dweller. THis way they have their based covered. Something for everyone and any gas price.

I thought Fritz didn't like rebadging. Funny how a Vue with a Buick grille is something different apparently... F'ing hypocrites.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room