NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: What's The Best Car No One Bought? [Question Of The Day]

22 posts in this topic

504x_VW_Corrado.jpgDan Neil said the 2010 Buick LaCrosse is "an American Lexus" but despite that, The Detroit News' Scott Burgess wins the insight cake, saying it's "the best car no one will buy." Maybe. What's the best car no one bought?

The Volkswagen Corrado and its many iterations was one car we truly liked the general buying public didn't. Sure there's a big following, but people were not willing to fork over the cash for the platform. In various trims the Corrado could be had as an attractive hatch all the way up to the powerful-for-the-time 180 HP VR6 trim. It was quicker than a Porsche 944, handled better than your average FWD vehicle, and looked incredibly German. It was quirky, fun, had a hatch and was therefore mostly unloved enough to get canned. it did so poorly they'll probably never bring the Scirocco over here.

That's what we're pining after but there are numerous other vehicles we could have listed. What's your favorite commercially unsuccessful car?

(QOTD is your chance to answer the day's most pressing automotive questions and experience the opinions of the insightful insiders, practicing pundits and gleeful gearheads that make up the Jalopnik commentariat. If you've got a suggestion for a good "Question Of The Day" send an email to tips at jalopnik dot com.)

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=uSsp4GHdIi8:G9tFz71hZAo:D7DqB2pKE full?i=uSsp4GHdIi8:G9tFz71hZAo:V_sGLiPBp
uSsp4GHdIi8

View the full article

Saturn ASTRA

Caddy SRX (old one)

Pontiac GTO ('04-'06)

Pontiac G8 (in comparison to Grand Prix)

BMW 1-series

Volvo C30

First gen SRX

Second Gen Aurora (company was killed off and the car died with it)

Pontiac GTO

I'd put the VW Phaeton and current-gen Acura RL (before the uglification facelift) in this category. Both sweet luxury cars that never caught on.

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

I'd put the VW Phaeton and current-gen Acura RL (before the uglification facelift) in this category. Both sweet luxury cars that never caught on.

Yes to Phaeton. That's an amazing car.

first thing that popped into my mind was a strange car i had never seen until about 4 yrs ago.

12315178509.265095559.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A

subaru srx

11755855818.263004098.IM1.03.565x421_A.5

according to cars 101 there is rumored to only have been 640 produced in 1997 the final year. with a price of $30K back then though i can understand why.

I have a friend that had a Subaru SVX back in the late '90s...interesting car, rode in it a few times...those side windows were trippy.

I forgot about the Phaeton, haha. Yes that belongs on the list.

I'd put the 2002-2005 Thunderbird on that list. It's the same platform and engine as the Lincoln LS but sold far less (31K its first year vs. 51K for the 2000 LS, and only 9000 in its final year). The guy that traded in my LS also traded in a red '04 Thunderbird and they really are pretty nice looking for being one of the early adopters of retro.

13colors.jpg

1. Cadillac SRX post-interior refresh

2. Oldsmobile Aurora (Gen 2)

3. Cadillac SRX pre-interior refresh

4. Pontiac GTO

5. Chrysler Crossfire

6. Ford Thunderbird

7. Eagle Vision

8. VW Phaeton

9. Maybach

10. Buick Reatta

pic-12332.jpeg

The Prowler was never supposed to be a big seller, the fact that nearly 12,000 were sold in its lifetime is actually pretty impressive.

I agree with the SRX, but not the Astra. The Astra just wasn't a good enough car to justify the huge pricetag.

VW Phaeton, most definitely. Though I keep hearing reports that it's on its way back to our shores.

Also, MAZDASPEED6.

It might not be the best car that no one bought, but it is one of the coolest cars no one bought.

moab2006_009.jpg

At a time where most new SUV introductions were being offered as four-door only, the Vehicross was three-door only. The styling isn't Aztek-ugly, but you do notice it and it's every bit as polarizing now as it was back then.

I'd actually love to own one someday, should I want an SUV.

pic-12332.jpeg

I know a guy with one of those. He's richer than God, and doesn't have any use for practicality.

I'd put the 2002-2005 Thunderbird on that list. It's the same platform and engine as the Lincoln LS but sold far less (31K its first year vs. 51K for the 2000 LS, and only 9000 in its final year). The guy that traded in my LS also traded in a red '04 Thunderbird and they really are pretty nice looking for being one of the early adopters of retro.

13colors.jpg

+1

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room