Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Spy Shots: Long-wheelbase Equus prototype is one big Hyundai

7 posts in this topic

Filed under: Spy Photos, Sedan, Hyundai, Luxury, South Korea

hyundai_equus_limo.jpg
The long wheelbase Hyundai Equus VL500 -- Click above for image gallery

Just when you were getting comfortable with Hyundai's $39,000 Genesis, the Korean automaker sprung the $50,000 Equus on you. Now, Hyundai has upped the stakes with the Equus VL500, a long wheel-base version of its Korean-market (and possibly U.S.-bound) flagship.

The engine bay in the long-wheelbase version is the first Hyundai to swallow the 5.0-liter Tau V8. Power output hasn't been released yet, but with the 4.6-liter mill in the Genesis putting out close to 400 hp, something north of that mark is expected in this application. The Equus VL500 will debut in November, but will be exclusive to Korea for the time being. Hat tip to William!

[source: The Car Blogger]

Spy Shots: Long-wheelbase Equus prototype is one big Hyundai originally appeared on Autoblog on Fri, 07 Aug 2009 17:35:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=BigEAZS_Ow4:kaTaNoxCNhc:wF9xT autoblog?i=BigEAZS_Ow4:kaTaNoxCNhc:V_sGL
BigEAZS_Ow4

View the full article

It just burns me to see how hard this car manufacturer is trying to gain respect, name and credibility in top player's market. Will it succeed, probably not. But it is TRYING. Yet company with GM talent and already present resources is wasting everything as the time passes. It will be too late to change.

That thing is huge. The short wheelbase car is 200+ inches long, this must be longer than an S-class. I am guessing it is for limousine use in Asia and we'll just get the regular version here. Although, with the Town Car and DTS's days being numbered, the American limo market may be looking for an affordable, big luxury sedan to fill the void, and the Equus could be it. I like the 5 liter V8, Hyundai is supposed to have an 8-speed tranny on this car also.

I definitely give kudos to Hyundai. They were $h!boxes not too long ago, and they've done a remarkable 180. I think the Genesis sedan is beautiful and a winner. HOWEVER, I almost feel like they're going too fast now. They have to give the US some time to adjust to Hyundai being at a luxury level now. You start bringing in an S-class/7-series fighter, and that's a whole different ball game. I don't think many are ready to take the Genesis seriously, much less something even more luxurious.

I don't think many are ready to take the Genesis seriously, much less something even more luxurious.

They should, but odd how they may not so quickly because of the premium people are too nuts to pay just for the promise of heritage and status over better attention to detail and quality.

What the hell is heritage worth anyway? Hardly anyone knows about a car companies' history when they go in to buy a car. It's a status symbol thing that Hyundai is going to have to make a huge effort in attaining. About the only way I can think they wish to do this is by offering the bits and pieces, technology options and luxury, but without the premium the others are expecting the upper-class to pay.

Giver Hyundai. Most times you don't get what you pay for but you can have a Hyundai and get even more.

Hyundai has been successful with the Genesis, more than I thought they would and I like Hyundai's current products. The LWB Equus, however, probably WON'T come to the US. Hyundai has been selling LWB vehicles in Korea for years for the limousine/town car market. I don't see this model coming to the US anytime soon as its potential market would be tiny.

The first generation Hyundai Equus limousine is pictured here:

Old_Hyundai_Equus_Limousine.jpg

Edited by Hudson

That thing looks huge!