Buick Readying Aveo-Based CUV

InvictaMan

Are they planning to attack Mini et. al with Buick? By giving Buick the premium Gamma?

I hope not... I don't think they can pull that off yet.

I hope not... I don't think they can pull that off yet.

Corsa would make a good Buick - although granted it has not been modified for US regulations, however with newer gamma coming soon, wonder it would make as a Buick.

Corsa would make a good Buick - although granted it has not been modified for US regulations, however with newer gamma coming soon, wonder it would make as a Buick.

I see Chevy getting the Aveo replacement and Buick getting a higher priced CUV as that would mean no overlap between brands.

Edited by ZL-1

Buick is headed downmarket fast in search of younger buyers. But Buick isn't a brand that younger buyers consider, the image is too damaged. Clearly GM wants to fill the void from losing Saturn and Pontiac with cheaper Buicks, which will just create more overlap with Chevy. New GM is creating the same problem old GM had.

which will just create more overlap with Chevy.

Not necessarily, it will depend on what Chevrolet gets from Gamma2. Price overlap is, to a reasonable extent, desirable, as it gives people alternatives within their price range.

Edited by ZL-1

Not necessarily, it will depend on what Chevrolet gets from Gamma2. Price overlap is, to a reasonable extent, desirable, as it gives people alternatives within their price range.

They will probably be like how they differentiate the Traverse and Enclave in the full size CUVs, and the Equinox and Vue in the compact/midsize... Chevy gets the mainstream models, Buick the more upscale one, differentiated substantially inside and out.

Instead of having to do up to 4 variations of each line for 4-5 brands, now they just have to do 3 (Cadillac will probably get a variation to fit below the SRX).

Rob

Edited by Cubical-aka-Moltar

They will probably be like how they differentiate the Traverse and Enclave in the full size CUVs, and the Equinox and Vue in the compact/midsize... Chevy gets the mainstream models, Buick the more upscale one, differentiated substantially inside and out.

Instead of having to do up to 4 variations of each line for 4-5 brands, now they just have to do 3 (Cadillac will probably get a variation to fit below the SRX).

Rob

I think that if Chevy gets a CUV, the total will be just 2: Chevy and Buick. I don't see Cadillac getting one.

I think that if Chevy gets a CUV, the total will be just 2: Chevy and Buick. I don't see Cadillac getting one.

Probably not...but maybe Cadillac could do well with a 3000lb 5 seat SUV, smaller than the hefty SRX, esp if BMW is going to do an X1 and Lexus is going to do the small hatchback.

Rob

Probably not...but maybe Cadillac could do well with a 3000lb 5 seat SUV, smaller than the hefty SRX, esp if BMW is going to do an X1 and Lexus is going to do the small hatchback.

IMO Cadillac has to focus on the next CTS, a 3-series competitor and a car in the 7-Series size class first. I don't think a Gamma crossover is core for Cadillac.

IMO Cadillac has to focus on the next CTS, a 3-series competitor and a car in the 7-Series size class first. I don't think a Gamma crossover is core for Cadillac.

Agreed, and Cadillac has to get away from fwd. BMW has a new 5-series coming in one year, and a new 3-series coming in 2 years. They constantly update, so Cadillac has to keep up. Cadillac can challenge the MKS with a big car, but not the 7-series, so I'd back burner the big car until they have the money to do it right.

I will admit, I do see more LaCrosses on the road in the past year than I have since the car came out in 2005. I also have noticed about half of them have been young drivers, say 20's. Now, whether they're borrowing their 50's parent's car or if they're driving it themselves, they're in them. Lucerne drivers I've seen only old. Hell, my mom and dad were 65 and 66 when they bought theirs.

7 series?

How can Cadillac do this when they do not get the goverment free pass on the mileage mileage standards like BMW.

Unless they give GM a pass too this will be a hard thing to overcome.

As for the Buick again lets wait and see just what it before we slit a wrist.

Edited by hyperv6

7 series?

How can Cadillac do this when they do not get the goverment free pass on the mileage mileage standards like BMW.

What if Big Caddy is built in Australia or China? :P

7 series?

I think GM's issue with CAFE has more to do with the weight of truck production/sales in their total production/sales than with the 1 mpg penalty in fuel economy that they used as an excuse. But that's just my opinion.