Should I or shouldn't I?

To sell or not to sell?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Keep the 2004 Commemorative Convertible?

• 2006 BMW M5 SMG
    • 2004 Corvette Convertible Commemorative

Well, yesterday was an interesting day for me automotively speaking, as I drove a dream car: The BMW M5 with the 500 Horse V10 and SMG transmission - in short, it is a wonderful and engaging car to drive. Sebring silver over black leather with the suede headliner - so much leather I felt I was in an S and M shop -er...not that I would know...just what I have seen on t.v.! :confused0071:

We were looking at a Used BMW 750 that my dad is very interested in (mom hates the XLR - she cannot get comfortable in it with her bad back) and she loves the BMW 7-series. So when we finished looking at the 7, I was sitting in the new Z4 and my son asked me if this is the car I would drive on this lot. I told him it was nice, but I have always wanted an M5 BMW. The salesmanager looks at me and tells me there is one on the lot that is Certified and he knows the former owner who ordered the car. So he hands me the fob and tells me to take it for a spin. Not one to say no to driving a supercar(?), I hopped behind the wheel and took my 5 minute course on starting and driving the beast.

Driving impressions: WOW. Wow. WOW. The car is so smooth, so linear in power, so FAST - it blows my mind. The steering is go-cart precise and the ride is firm when needed, yet you could take a business person for a drive and not worry about his/her teeth rattling out when the road gets rough. The SMG transmission is a blast to drive: put it in D and let off the gas slightly to shift OR drive it on the steering wheel paddles. There is a button marked power that gives you 100 more horses when you need it. It works. Blindingly fast becomes the warp drive of the Millennium Falcon with the press of a button. All of the vitals are displayed on a heads up display showing your tach, your current gear sellection and the speed you are currently hurtling down the road in a missle of comfort and quiet. The seats grip you when you plug in the seatbelt, and adjust to you when you turn a corner to hold you in place...just a wild experience. The fit and finish should not even be brought up, as the dash in this car is all 100% leather that is cut and sewn - every inch of it - and it is exquisite. Same goes for the doors, the headliner, the seats and the console areas not covered in buttons. The iDrive system is infuriating, but there are seperate controls for the radio and HVAC...so I can ignore the dumb ass knob in the console. In time I would learn it, I am sure. Plus major controls are voice activated if needed. Bluetooth and MP3 are also included.

In short, I am in LOVE with the car, and my dad is as well. As we are partners in the company, he is pushing me to sell my

Vette and go into the M5 so that he can play with it from time to time. I just don't know if I can part with the Corvette, which I love. The other information that you would need to know: I have two kids that love to go for rides with dad. Cannot LEGALLY do that in the Corvette! Dad has been taking one in the XLR and I take the other in the Vette. Wife stays home.

So, I am turning to the guys who steered me into the Caddy Escalade last December for your input. Give me your pros and cons of the BMW and of selling my baby. Again: I am not bragging. I am not sitting here saying "See what I can have!" I am turning to you to tell me what you think of both cars and if I should do this or not. I love cars. I love driving, and I love to let others experience my cars...honest.

Oh, and the BMW has just turned 37,000 miles and has a 100,000 mile warranty. The Corvette just turned 18,000 miles and has no warranty on it, but that can be added if I need one.

The M5 is a great car, much better than a C5 IMO, but it's complex and likely expensive to maintain. It all depends on how much they're selling it for. Personally, I'd go for a new M3 sedan if the prices are similar. Go for European Delivery and you get a vacation as well. Autobahn. Nurburgring. ED invoice is $46,000, so figure $7K off MSRP!

Thanks for all of the input guys...I do appreciate it.

The SMG is fun to drive once you learn it. I would need seat time in the car for that. I was pretty smooth with it on the first drive, so I think I can master it soon. The M5 is extremely complex, and that does bother me a little - however it is certified up to 100,000 miles (has 37,000 on the clock now) so maintaining it is really not THAT huge of a problem.

The CTS-V is a beautiful car, but there are no 'deals' out there. Plus I would like to drive one...good luck with that! Buy it first then they MAY let you drive it. You will pay sticker or above and the finance rate would be in the mid 4's at best. BMW is at .9% - 2.9% tops. A New M3 would be interesting...they seem to be staying on the lots around here, so a deal might be had on one of them. Wonder if they are as engaging as the M5 :scratchchin: ?

I will probably just do nothing and be happy...I will keep you all posted.

I love American cars, so this is an unexpected turn of events to be 100% honest with everyone here.

I have been holding out hopes to buy the new Camaro SS, but Friday night I said "Whoa there big fella!" after running into yet another new owner with an issue that made me take pause. (plus, I really want the SS 'vert) It seems at 300 miles, he lost power, lost the dash, then the dash came back on and was all over the place. Was diagnosed as a bad connector, but I really am afraid of the Camaro right now. Seems like it needs another year or two (plus, I want the Vert!) And yes, I am scared to death of the electronics on the M5 as well as the other systems - but it is a known car with 1 owner.... so, I am afraid I have made my mind up to try the M5 and see if it blows my mind or not. The opportunity is just too great to pass up. They are giving me over book on my Vette and have discounted the M5 to the low side of book to move it.

I will be back to GM soon (plus I still have my Escalade) :smilies-38096: I will post photos when the car is detailed my way and it is safely in my garage, if you guys are interested.

Thanks for all of the input from all of you.

I love American cars, so this is an unexpected turn of events to be 100% honest with everyone here.

I have been holding out hopes to buy the new Camaro SS, but Friday night I said "Whoa there big fella!" after running into yet another new owner with an issue that made me take pause. (plus, I really want the SS 'vert) It seems at 300 miles, he lost power, lost the dash, then the dash came back on and was all over the place. Was diagnosed as a bad connector, but I really am afraid of the Camaro right now. Seems like it needs another year or two (plus, I want the Vert!) And yes, I am scared to death of the electronics on the M5 as well as the other systems - but it is a known car with 1 owner.... so, I am afraid I have made my mind up to try the M5 and see if it blows my mind or not. The opportunity is just too great to pass up. They are giving me over book on my Vette and have discounted the M5 to the low side of book to move it.

I will be back to GM soon (plus I still have my Escalade) :smilies-38096: I will post photos when the car is detailed my way and it is safely in my garage, if you guys are interested.

Thanks for all of the input from all of you.

Congrats! Excellent choice either way ...

Well, the deed is done...my beloved Corvette Commemorative Convertible was sold last night. :cry: I brought home the 2006 M5 in the dark and marveled at the difference between the car I just got out of. The headlight package on the M5 is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the sealed beam on the Corvette (no pun intended) - I hope the C6 has lights this good!

You notice the torque right away - the V10 feels like it wants to leap out of the car. It propels the car so smoothly it is like a turbine is under the hood - sounds like it too! The SMG was tricky at first, but it is pretty easy to learn, although it will take me a while behind the wheel to get really smooth. Tapping the throttle at 80 brings a drop down to 4th and you are instantly at the century mark! Scary accelleration from a four door sedan!

The interior is sublime in this car. The seats grip you like velcro, and they are 'active' meaning they grab you when you buckle the belt, and then they pump the bolsters to compensate for g-forces when you take a corner! It is a really interesting feeling to say the least. They adjust to every inch of your body, and after driving this car for an hour, I finally see why every auto rag HATES the seats in the Corvettes...these seats in the M5 make the seats in the Vette feel like something out of Hasbro. The stereo is crisp and very rewarding in it's output - I love music, and this car puts it into your head as if you were watching the recording being made.

So, yeah - I lost a freind last night in my Corvette...but the M5 is quickly making me wonder what I ever saw in the Corvette C5 in the first place. And I will also admit that I still love my bowties...and will be back again, I promise!

Thanks to all of you. Brought her down to the shop and gave her a claybaring and a wax job...BMW uses great paint and clear coat! The car shined up and it still needs about 4 more coats of wax before I am happy.

It is quite a car, and it had me not missing my Corvette pretty quickly.