Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Just got an offer

Satty

A gentleman with a '76 Continental Mark IV needs something more family friendly and was wondering if I'd be interested in a Continental for LeSabre swap. I'm interested. What do you guys think?

'89 LeSabre Estate

--151,000 miles on body

--12,000 miles on rebuilt 350

--Fuel leak (source unknown)

--Random electrical glitches

--AC doesn't work in spite of having been charged

'76 Continental

--85,000 miles

--Needs new vinyl top (no rust as far as I can tell)

--Needs radiator

--Clean white leather interior

--Power accessories all work

--Needs AC charged

It's cool, yessir, but shoot, you have an older car now with familiar quirks, and you can haul all your stuff without a weird European roof rack. This would be a style-cramping move until you can get a Patriot (if you're still thinking that way.)

The Lincoln definitely has it's charms...the interior looks great, needs a few trim items on the outside. It would make a neat weekend or once in a while driver, probably gets 10-12 mpg. I've always liked the more angular Mark V over the Mark VI (pretty much the same inside, though).

The only thing that would be a sticking point for me is the 350.

How much did you invest in rebuilding the motor? If that amount of money equates roughly to the mileage difference (less mileage on the car over all) on the Lincoln, then go for it. If not, then your current car is probably worth more.

(Just MHO)

Here's a sweet '79 Mark V in Mississippi w/ only 30k miles, white w/ white & red interior also..

ebay 79 Lincoln

Totally impractical and huge, but I've always liked these since childhood...rode in a few when my folks were test driving Lincolns (my Dad was a serial Continental/Town Car buyer for his last 20 years).

The only thing that would be a sticking point for me is the 350.

How much did you invest in rebuilding the motor? If that amount of money equates roughly to the mileage difference (less mileage on the car over all) on the Lincoln, then go for it. If not, then your current car is probably worth more.

(Just MHO)

I spent about $300 on the 350, I bought it off a guy who had it rebuilt, put it in a car then wrecked the car, pulled the motor and stored it for just about forever. I gave it new seals, gaskets, plugs, wires and filters and dropped it in. A variety of issues prevented me from doing everything I wanted, like an Edelbrock intake and carb and dual exhaust.

So far opinions are split. One camp says keep the Buick because I love it and have put quite a bit into it, plus I bought it for a reason and the Conti wouldn't be nearly as good a kayak hauler.. The other camp says move on to the Lincoln because I'll love it just as much, and it'll give me a new challenge that I can tackle, unlike the problems with the Buick that are beyond my ability.

All Jill said was that its my car and I can do whatever the hell I want. After I emailed her the pics, she asked if I'd like a purple velvet suit. I do like the idea of a pimp stick.

So far opinions are split. One camp says keep the Buick because I love it and have put quite a bit into it, plus I bought it for a reason and the Conti wouldn't be nearly as good a kayak hauler.. The other camp says move on to the Lincoln because I'll love it just as much, and it'll give me a new challenge that I can tackle, unlike the problems with the Buick that are beyond my ability.

All Jill said was that its my car and I can do whatever the hell I want. After I emailed her the pics, she asked if I'd like a purple velvet suit. I do like the idea of a pimp stick.

I'd rock it with some huge glue-on sideburns, aviator sunglasses, plaid suits with ultrawide lapels, and some fine Banlon slacks. And some 8 tracks w/ mid '70s music, incl. the theme from Shaft.

Rob

And some 8 tracks w/ mid '70s music, incl. the theme from Shaft.

The iPod-ready stereo will, should the deal go down, be in the Lincoln within hours of the transaction. But I do have a decent collection of 70's stuff on my iPod.