NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: From the Twitterverse: GM shows Cadillac 3 series-fighting ATS, all-new XTS, 2012 Malibu

312 posts in this topic

Filed under: Coupe, Sedan, Wagon, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GM, Rumormill, Luxury

x09ca_ct005-620op.jpg

Tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM EST, General Motor's President and CEO, Fritz Henderson, will be hosting a webcast to update the public and the media on the automaker's turnaround efforts, during which Henderson is expected to make a new product announcement.

But ahead of tomorrow's shindig, GM is apparently hosting another event involving some of its PR team and a few social media junkies. Tied to their smartphones, some of the attendees have revealed GM's new product plans and here are the tender Twitter morsels:
  • GM unveiled a new Cadillac concept dubbed the ATS, a compact BMW 3 Series fighter that will be available in both coupe and sedan forms.
  • The Cadillac DTS' replacement - currently named the XTS - will be built atop the Buick LaCrosse's underpinnings and will be available with all-wheel drive.
  • The CTS Coupe is due to arrive this May, and there's still talk of a V version (duh). Apparently GM has a working CTS-V SportWagon on premises and it could arrive as early as next year.
  • New Chevrolet Malibu unveiled, but it supposed won't reach production until 2012.
  • All-new midsize Buick model coming within the next 24 months.
We'll keep our eye out as more information becomes available, and if you didn't need a reminder, all of this should be taken with the appropriate amount of NaCl until we get official word from GM. Details about GM's webcast available below the fold.

[source: Twitter]

Continue reading From the Twitterverse: GM shows Cadillac 3 series-fighting ATS, all-new XTS, 2012 Malibu

From the Twitterverse: GM shows Cadillac 3 series-fighting ATS, all-new XTS, 2012 Malibu originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:53:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=sjH1js5Vq7c:uZoRV8hcvd8:wF9xT autoblog?i=sjH1js5Vq7c:uZoRV8hcvd8:V_sGL
sjH1js5Vq7c

View the full article

Hopefully they give a few more details tomorrow. It is good that a new Malibu is 2 years away, because midsize family sedans are a super competitive segment, and the current model is already lagging behind a bit. It is almost impossible for the XTS to be any good, the 2012 XTS is going to be a lot like a 2009 Lincoln MKS, yawn. The ATS however has potential if done right. But will the ATS do 0-60 in under 5 seconds, pull .90 g on the skidpad, have an interior better than the CTS, weigh under 3600 lbs, get over 28 mg, etc. Cadillac has to surpass the current 335i, or they ATS just be another mid to bottom of the class offering from the General.

Am I the only one looking forward to the XTS? I think I know about 5-6 people that would want one.

Cadillac has to surpass the current 335i, or they ATS just be another mid to bottom of the class offering from the General.

Are you insinuating that the current CTS is a 'mid to bottom of the class offering' ?

Am I the only one looking forward to the XTS? I think I know about 5-6 people that would want one.

Yes, you are the only one. If those 5 people don't want to wait 2 years, they can go buy a Lincoln MKS right now, the XTS will be the same car. Big, 4400 lbs, with a 280 hp V6, riding on a platform shared with a $27,000 car. Or they can wait 2 years, and get a used MKS for about half the price of an XTS, and get the same car and save $20,000.

Are you insinuating that the current CTS is a 'mid to bottom of the class offering' ?

The CTS is better than the front drivers, but it can't perform like a BMW or G37, and it's interior isn't as high quality as an Audi. CTS is fairly strong for its class, but many other GM products are not.

The CTS is better than the front drivers, but it can't perform like a BMW or G37, and it's interior isn't as high quality as an Audi. CTS is fairly strong for its class, but many other GM products are not.

See, you make a few good posts and then you make moronic posts like these. Go read up comparison tests. The CTS finishes well ahead of other offerings, and in V form it finishes on top of them all.

So the XTS and '12 Malibu will be on Epsilon II and the ATS will be on Delta II ? I assume the 'all new midsize Buick' is the Insignia based Regal?

Rob

They don't say whether the ATS is RWD, so I will be crossing my fingers. I wish the XTS would be RWD too.

Yep, I'm thinking the mid-size Buick is the Regal.

Where does it say the ATS will be FWD?

Nowhere yet, but nothing says it's RWD either. If GM has cancelled Alpha, then Delta II is what they have for compact models.

Rob

This is nice to hear! :)

Cancel Alpha?

They had better not.

I'm skeptical...I'm sure the bean counters can justify killing it wrt CAFE regs. And if GM engineers a compact RWD platform, it will be what--3500-3800lbs probably?

Rob

See, you make a few good posts and then you make moronic posts like these. Go read up comparison tests. The CTS finishes well ahead of other offerings, and in V form it finishes on top of them all.

People who don't agree with you are still allowed to have opinions right? Just because it finishes #1 on a magazine doesn't mean it would be my first choice in that segment. It would actually be my 3rd or 4th choice. Just because the Camry wins Consumer Reports awards every year doesn't mean it's the best midsized car either.

People who don't agree with you are still allowed to have opinions right? Just because it finishes #1 on a magazine doesn't mean it would be my first choice in that segment. It would actually be my 3rd or 4th choice. Just because the Camry wins Consumer Reports awards every year doesn't mean it's the best midsized car either.

You honestly believe that the CTS is a bottom rung car? Also, opinions are one thing, facts are another. a CTS won't handle with the nimbleness of a G37 or a BMW 3-Series because it's the size of a M45 and a 5-Series. If you wanna compare handling to the 3-Series you have to wait for the ATS.

You honestly believe that the CTS is a bottom rung car? Also, opinions are one thing, facts are another. a CTS won't handle with the nimbleness of a G37 or a BMW 3-Series because it's the size of a M45 and a 5-Series.

Bottom rung, no. I would rank it higher than Acura or Lincolns offerings. Personally, I would rather have the G37 or 335i because they are more nimble, and I'm not too fond of how the CTS looks.

Bottom rung, no. I would rank it higher than Acura or Lincolns offerings. Personally, I would rather have the G37 or 335i because they are more nimble, and I'm not too fond of how the CTS looks.

Again, when comparing handling, you need to be comparing the CTS to the 5 Series and M45. It may be priced like a 3 Series but it's a size up from it. It's GM's fault they don't have a car to truly compete with the 3-Series on size, but the fact remains that the CTS's handling should be benched against the bigger BMW.

MT gets it.

My hunch is the ATS will be RWS but lets let GM tell us before we start branding it a Delta II.

I suspect it is RWD and this will not be the last one either and that is part of why we did not get the Chevy G8. GM may a new platform coming and that will solve many questions.

I am glad to see the new Bu. The one that is out does not have as many short comings as some will want yout to think. But the cars in this class need updated ever 4-5 years not every 12 years. It will be interesting to see where the Bu is going.

I am glad GM is look at the BMW 3 series. As Cadillac needs to beat the 3 and 5 before they can win over any other models.

Nowhere yet, but nothing says it's RWD either. If GM has cancelled Alpha, then Delta II is what they have for compact models.

Rob

shortened Zeta or shortened Sigma

Yeah right, GM wants Zeta dead because killing excellent platforms is what they do. Plus Sigma wouldn't be as fuel efficient as a FWD platform, just compare the V6 Malibu and Camaro. :rolleyes:

Well, there is no such thing as a 3 series fighter that's FWD.

It can't be both.

When GM spent billions on Zeta, they should have developed a platform that could have made a 3 series, and 5 series figher. Then they could have used it for the new smaller SRX also. But instead GM has Sigma for the CTS, Theta? for the SRX, Epsilon 2? for the XTS, when they should have all been able to be on the same platform.

Hope the ATS is RWD-based.

It'd be nice if they made the XTS a competent model as Audi did with the FWD-based A8, but this is GM... modest expectations regarding the XTS...

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor