Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Rumor: G8 to return as high-end “four-door Corvette?”

21 posts in this topic

Rumor: G8 to return as high-end “four-door Corvette?”

08/10/2009, 2:37 PMBY ANDREW GANZ

We’ve started taking everything we’ve heard about the return of the Pontiac G8, or at least some variation of General Motors’ highly-vaunted Zeta platform with a grain of salt, but now word comes from Bob Lutz himself that the G8 could return as a high-end Chevrolet envisioned as a four-door to complement the automaker’s iconic Corvette.

Social media guru Joel Feder is currently attending a GM media event aimed at Twitterers and bloggers in Milford, Michigan, where he reported on his Twitter feed that Bob Lutz is not ruling out the return of the G8 platform to North America.

“High end brakes, huge engine, big and fast. Like four door corvette,” Feder wrote, verbatim, on Twitter after a brief chat with Lutz. Though hardly an official comment from Lutz, it seems that the General’s car guru will still not write off the possibility of a four-door, performance-oriented sedan based on the Zeta platform for North America. Lutz did tell Feder that the Caprice name is a no-go, however. GM rebadges the Holden Commodore, which also served as the basis for the now-defunct G8, as the Chevrolet Caprice for some markets.

GM is believed to have a contractual obligation for export models with the Australian factory that builds the large sedan.

link:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/rumor-g8-to-re...r-corvette.html

Note: the Journalist is saying "4-door corvette", Lutz is saying "a four-door to complement the automaker’s iconic Corvette." Lutz never said it would be labeled Corvette in any way. That's good, because it would be stupid to do so.

Not going to Happen! It's time they put the old Coot in the nursing home and lock the door so he doesn't get out again ...

I knew you would confirm it or not.

Lutz never said it would be labeled Corvette in any way.

Yeah, I can't see Lutz wanting his legacy being a Corvette Panamera.

They could always name it "Bel Air"

“High end brakes, huge engine, big and fast. Like four door corvette,” Feder wrote, verbatim, on Twitter after a brief chat with Lutz.

what is the cts-v?

Again give them some time and let the offical word on these new cars that are to come.

We have too many hanging on every word and teaser photo. Lets let them roll out the offical plans and then comment from there.

Given recent history, you might want to wait until its actually on lots before believing anything GM says.

Given recent history, you might want to wait until its actually on lots before believing anything GM says.

The way things are going, I wouldn't be shocked if they end up on lots, people buy them, and then GM decides to buy all of them back from their owners and scrap them. This back and forth is just ridiculous.

It's apparent Lutz isn't going to take no for an answer on this one. I hope he gets what he wants.

The way things are going, I wouldn't be shocked if they end up on lots, people buy them, and then GM decides to buy all of them back from their owners and scrap them. This back and forth is just ridiculous.

It's apparent Lutz isn't going to take no for an answer on this one. I hope he gets what he wants.

Oh he'll take no for an answer, or there may just be another announcement that his retirement is back on ...

Just shoot me now...

Tell me about it.

I don't even want GM to bring the G8 back anymore. Remember, no Pontiac, no sale for me... so, as far as I'm concerned the less cool crap GM sells, the less I have to torture myself.

GM can just sell Aveo's for all I care. Pack all of GM management into Aveos and enter them into a Monster Truck rally as the cars to crush.

'like four door Corvette' , not a four-door Corvette. I hope Bob is telling the truth because while I love the G8, I can't imagine how its hard-core fans must feel with this game of 'yes and no.' I'm sure Mr. Lutz is familiar with the story 'the Boy who cried Wolf' and if this keeps up, no one at all will believe anything that comes out of GM, and that could spell a huge amount of trouble.

I read the headline & couldn't believe my eyes then checked the author and it was 98 & means it's legit Right?

But as it's just rumor again I can have fun with it right? :duck: I get my Nomad 2 door wagon & Camino gets his el we get manual 6spds direct injected 5.3L v v t / v a v / cyl deactivation / bas / 36hwy mpg 28 combined 24 city 450hp / 475 lbs ft :rolleyes:

Notice wagon is 2 door 'caus Caddy gets the lux of having all four doors :wink:

If we dont have fun with this stuff we will either go crazy or hate GM. I don't like the choices that GM has made with closing brands but there's hope of a better day. I've read that they want to do a IPO next year and that gives me hope that they can buy back their corp. and build the cars we on the boards want. My friends who love Pontiac it hurts deep as Old's affectionados have felt this earlier it lessens but it stays stuck in your crawas they say. But if you liked GTO's or Hurst Old's or Chevelle SS it was the General that got you there. We had many capable Chevy's and with the advancements in handling performance Chevy's won't have bad driving characteristics. Hopefully they won't be bland and they will soon have the cash to spend on the brands / divisions left to make great cars again. Think back Chevy did not take a back seat to any make in the '60-70's it was more of a personal flavor thing Olds = refined / Pontiac Brakes & handling. With the other divisions gone Chevy will have to cater to those likes as Buick won't and Caddy is to aspire to.

Lets mourn for Old's & Pontiac and cheer on Chevy push GM to build what we want not cut off our nose to spite our face afterall most all divisions were built onthe same line by employee's of General Motors not Chevy / Old's / Pontiac / Saturn...

Rick

This bull$h! again? Seriously? Someone needs to shut someone up about Zeta already. GM is one step away from wadding Zeta up and throwing it into the trash bin. I'm at the point where I'm sick of hearing about all of this back-and-forth decision making. Fritz doesn't want it and would much rather try and sell a blatantly rebadged Saturn Vue as a Buick rather than a reworked Commodore/G8 as a Chevrolet. I want to move on and see what is going on with Alpha, which I hope GM did and is doing the right thing about handling and developing that particular platform (i.e. how capable and flexible is it? etc.).

Edited by YellowJacket894

"Pontiac Will Be All RWD In The Future!"

"Oops! GM Can No Longer Do RWD In The U.S. Because Of Future CAFE Regulations!"

"The G8 Will Be Resurrected As The Chevrolet Caprice!"

"Oops! Just Kidding! There's Not A Solid Business Case To Justify Bringing The G8 Back As The Chevy Caprice!"

"The G8 Could Return As A High End Four-Door Corvette Type Of Vehicle!"

"Blah, Blah, Blah...!"

I'm sort of tired of hearing Bobby Boy's fantasies and illusions of grandeur. He can ramble on incoherently all he wants, but I'm not going to believe a single word of it until I actually see it parked on the dealership lot. He really doesn't have any more credibility than good old Fritz as far as I'm concerned. At this point, I think he's doing more damage by shooting off his mouth like some kind of geriatric loose cannon. It would be better to stick to just announcing and promoting what is definitely in the product pipeline instead of all the "should-a, could-a, would-a" pipe dream possibilities. His endless ramblings are just provoking terminal disappointment and frustration among GM's fans and enthusiasts.

what is the cts-v?

A four door XLR-V, but much more powerful and dynamic. Duh.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Who's Online (See full list)

There are no registered users currently online

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room