Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Next Chevy Malibu To Drop In 2011 As 2012 Model [New Cars]

31 posts in this topic

Why? We just got a new Malibu. Why do we need a new one already? Or is Impala becoming Malibu? Something's amiss here...

Why? We just got a new Malibu. Why do we need a new one already? Or is Impala becoming Malibu? Something's amiss here...

The current Malibu was always going to be short term exercise. The new Malibu was destined to be on EPII as soon as possible, so the time frame makes sense.

The current car came for MY 08... a new one for MY 12 gives the current car a 4 yr run, pretty typical of the industry for a midsize sedan.

Rob

I don't think we should complain about quick turn-around on the designs of the mainstream vehicles. We probably shouldn't expect a full redesign this often, but a thorough refresh every 3 years and redesign every 5-6 would probably be good.

I don't think this is GM's sneak preview of the new Malibu. Notice the wiper arm in the pic? This is what we're looking at.

340x.jpg

Edited by YellowJacket894

Um, because the competition moves fast? I'm glad the current Malibu is short lived, as I think it's a patchwork design. I like the roofline, but the rear is ugly and doesn't match the so-so front. I felt the same way about the Charger when it came out... but it grew on me... somewhat... the Malibu hasn't.

I don't think we should complain about quick turn-around on the designs of the mainstream vehicles. We probably shouldn't expect a full redesign this often, but a thorough refresh every 3 years and redesign every 5-6 would probably be good.

Yeah, as that is what every _other_ car company does. GM prefers 20+ year cycles with 6-10 year refreshes. I think GM calls it "Design it and forget it".

Please don't bangle the 'Bu.

Agreed...

The new Malibu is an excellent car that is doing its job well. Why not focus the resources where they're needed the most (Impala, the Buick line, a REAL Cadillac flagship)

On a personal note; I really hate that BMW comment. Now I'm fully expecting to see another Korean BLOB (like the Cruze) that takes away all of the great character that the current Malibu has.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

This new Malibu has been in the works since the current one debuted.

Same thing happened with the 2004 Malibu. As soon as it was released, designers were working on the car we have now. In fact, the current Malibu was previewed in the same way around 2006 if I remember correctly.

The next Malibu (GMX351) was slated for early 2011 as a '12 model. Not much has really changed with that plan.

Not liking the sound of this! Why does everything have to mimic a BMW, Lexus or Toyota, 3 of the worst styled bland generic car companies on the planet? And why is the Malibu already being restyled and the Impala is standing pat. Sounds like more of the same old crap to me.

They're consolidating the Malibu and Epica/Tosca for a global Chevrolet car lineup. While Ford is looking to Ford of Europe for their cars, it looks like Chevy is looking to GMDAT.

Edited by pow

They're consolidating the Malibu and Epica/Tosca for a global Chevrolet car lineup. While Ford is looking to Ford of Europe for their cars, it looks like Chevy is looking to GMDAT.
By pairing Buick and Opel/Vauxhall, what makes sense now is to pair Chevrolet with Daewoo and Holden. Leaving aside the Commodore and Statesman/Caprice which are well distributed between Chevrolet and Buick as it is.

Well distributed?

I beg to differ.

As for Malibu, I hope the new one is an evolution of the existing car - don't screw-up what is working, GM!

While I find the snout and rear of the current car a bit awkward, the profile is as perfect as I have ever seen on a FWD sedan.

Well distributed?

I beg to differ.

OK, I'll rephrase that: "well distributed, North America notwithstanding"

OK, I'll rephrase that: "well distributed, North America notwithstanding"

It could have been extremely well distributed if GM didn't suffer from cranio-rectal insertion.

Did anybody notice.......

On the new GM 60 day return ad, as Fritz Henderson walks thru the design studio,

right near the end, he passes by ...... what looks like a new version of an IMPALA!

You only get a partial glimpse of the front end, but it looks great!

Did anybody notice????

Did anybody notice.......

On the new GM 60 day return ad, as Fritz Henderson walks thru the design studio,

right near the end, he passes by ...... what looks like a new version of an IMPALA!

You only get a partial glimpse of the front end, but it looks great!

Did anybody notice????

Odds are very good if you mean the front clip on the cart that that is the new 2012 Bu. The new Impala is still out 4 years if at all.

That also was not Fritz it was Ed.

Edited by hyperv6

Odds are very good if you mean the front clip on the cart that that is the new 2012 Bu. The new Impala is still out 4 years if at all.

That also was not Fritz it was Ed.

Sorry about the name thing. No, it was not on the cart. He walked by it just at the end of the

commercial. It was a full car, but they only showed the nose of it!!

Who said anything about a time line????? :neenerneener:

Sorry about the name thing. No, it was not on the cart. He walked by it just at the end of the

commercial. It was a full car, but they only showed the nose of it!!

Who said anything about a time line????? :neenerneener:

*cue buzzer*

WRONG!

That's the 'Bu.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0