Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Buick expanding lineup to six models in two years

13 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Crossover, Buick

enclave_cross_phev-1250001155.jpg

During our preview this morning of upcoming products from both Buick and GMC, we learned that the Buick lineup will expand its lineup to include six models within the next 24 months. Joining the LaCrosse and Enclave (it sounds like the Lucerne is on its way out) will be two new sedans and two new crossovers.

One new four-door will be a mid-size sedan based on the Opel Insignia and possibly wear the Regal nameplate. The other will be a smaller, entry level compact sedan based on the new Opel Astra. We also saw a teaser last week of the new compact crossover for Buick that's basically a rebadged Saturn Vue. An even smaller CUV based on the Delta platform will also be added.

Over at GMC, a Denali version of the Acadia will likely be added along with another small CUV that could be a competitor for the upcoming mini countryman.

Buick expanding lineup to six models in two years originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:28:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=oy76GSVijxE:Cq8C8fypWOo:wF9xT autoblog?i=oy76GSVijxE:Cq8C8fypWOo:V_sGL
oy76GSVijxE

View the full article

We also saw a teaser last week of the new compact crossover for Buick that's basically a rebadged Saturn Vue. An even smaller CUV based on the Delta platform will also be added.

I'm not a fan of rebadging.

With Saturn gone, no rebadging. Rebadging is only a problem when a single company sells multiple versions of the EXACT SAME VEHICLE across different divisions, you know, like Chrysler does.

With Saturn gone, no rebadging. Rebadging is only a problem when a single company sells multiple versions of the EXACT SAME VEHICLE across different divisions, you know, like Chrysler does.

Isn't GM going to still be supplying the Vue to the new Saturn entity a few more years, though? So they will still be around..

Rob

Even the Rainier was differentiated from the Bravada. I highly doubt the Saturn VUE, with a grille change, will show up on Buick lots. No, there will be more substantial changes made--even the old GM wasn't that lazy/stupid.

I was quoting Frtiz on his response when asked about the G8 being moved to another brand after Pontiac was killed. Same exactly senario as what's happening with the Vue.

Can't say that for sure, yet. Only an equivalent situation if the VUE comes to Buick as-is, except for the grille and logos. I really just can't see that interior migrating unchanged.

Can't say that for sure, yet. Only an equivalent situation if the VUE comes to Buick as-is, except for the grille and logos. I really just can't see that interior migrating unchanged.

You're right, I can't say it for sure, but based one what we can see from t hat image, much of the exterior architecture is the same. Headlights, upper bumper, and hood. Only thing that looks different besides the grill is the replacement of the fender vent with a badge.

You're right, I can't say it for sure, but based one what we can see from t hat image, much of the exterior architecture is the same. Headlights, upper bumper, and hood. Only thing that looks different besides the grill is the replacement of the fender vent with a badge sidemarker lamp.

Fixed.

The more I look at this, the more I think it looks like a chop. Final version will look different. If GM is going to spend the money to remove the vertical side vent, they will do more to differentiate the front clip. Plus, I've never seen a green sidemarker lamp before.

Edited by Croc

vue is a good vehicle and buick would be lucky to have it, but i think my bet is on another equinox / terrain variant.

Since Buick is now essentially Opel, I'm guessing the smaller-than-VUE crossover will be the Opel version of the Chevy Orlando MPV.

During our preview this morning of upcoming products from both Buick and GMC, we learned that the Buick lineup will expand its lineup to include six models within the next 24 months.

So were getting a Cadillac line up with only 3 sedans (5 products total) and a larger line up for Buick, which is more damaged. I'm extremely excited about the Buick development, but I believe that Cadillac needs more.

Joining the LaCrosse and Enclave (it sounds like the Lucerne is on its way out) will be two new sedans and two new crossovers.

Yes, Lucerne, which should be replaced by the Park Avenue, is out because the PA would piss caddy off too much.

One new four-door will be a mid-size sedan based on the Opel Insignia and possibly wear the Regal nameplate.

Factoring this obvious development in as well as all of the Twiiter garb about a Riviera, me thinks that GM is fashioning a direct Buick replacement for the G6 line up. As excited as I am about a Riviera, especially if it is as stunning as the concept, I can't help but think that a more compelling Malibu and most importantly Malibu coupe would be a better way of roping in former Pontiac volume buyers. GM seems to think that Pontiac buyers will just be drawn in by the new Buick and I think that's wrong, for the most part.

The other will be a smaller, entry level compact sedan based on the new Opel Astra.

Thank god it isn't a Cruze rebadge...

We also saw a teaser last week of the new compact crossover for Buick that's basically a rebadged Saturn Vue.

...sigh.....

"I am not a fan of crossovers." Oh yeah, Fritz... Well, I'm not a fan of hypocrites.

And from the teaser, it looks even cheaper and more tepid than the current Vue. I bet GM will sell about 200 of these.

An even smaller CUV based on the Delta platform will also be added.

Must be the one that was shown on the tele a while back. Although, most were betting on it being Gamma and virtually identical to the recent global Gamma Chevy cute ute.

Over at GMC,

I was and am still very worried that GMC will be forgotten about in the bid to "go after car sales" Overall, GMC is probably the healthiest GM division post Ch 11. (on a profit per sale and demographics basis) here's to hoping that GM doesn't squander yet ANOTHER good thing.

a Denali version of the Acadia will likely be added

This has been in the cards for a while. I'm guessing the V8 will NOT be part of the package.

along with another small CUV that could be a competitor for the upcoming mini countryman.

So this is where Gamma comes in... I *guess* GMC could go head to head with Mini. GMC has a good image with the yuppies and I applaud GM for thinking outside of the box.

Overall, this is a load of mixed... Were getting 2 Buicks that are going to have a hard time proving themselves, a Saturn rebadge that should be named FAIL, a Delta Xover that hopefully will not compete with the Orlando, an Acadia that will be cross-shopped with the Enclave and probably, eventually the Escalade and something completely out of the box that could be a complete disaster.

I hate to be negative, but GM has disappointed a lot lately.

Yes, Lucerne, which should be replaced by the Park Avenue, is out because the PA would piss caddy off too much.

Sigh. Hell must be freezing over when the only traditional Buick sold is only in China.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0