NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Cadillac XTS looks like Sixteen Concept, ATS aims at 3 Series with RWD

60 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Cadillac, Luxury

sixteenconcept000_opt.jpg
Cadillac Sixteen Concept - Click above for high-res image gallery

This morning at the media preview hosted by General Motors in its design dome, VP of Design Ed Welburn showed off full-size styling bucks of the next two models from Cadillac. Rounding out the lineup for GM's luxury brand will be the XTS and ATS. The ATS is a smaller car than the CTS and will take direct aim at the heart of the 3-Series. The model shown was a two-door coupe with a roof-line closer in shape to the CTS sedan rather than the extreme fastback profile of the CTS coupe. The overall design is an evolution of the current CTS with headlights that stretch back across the top of the fender line. Although no one would confirm the platform underneath, they did say it would be rear- and all-wheel drive, just like a 3. Earlier in the morning, new Cadillac general manager Brian Nesbitt said the next generation CTS is already under development and would be new from the ground up. It seems reasonable to assume that it is being developed to allow for a shorter version for the ATS.

The XTS, on the other hand, is huge and carries a lot of the design first seen on the celebrated Sixteen concept (seen above and in high-res gallery below), which means it's stunning in person. Given that a V16 is out of the question, the hood is obviously much shorter than the concept's. The flanks have more curvature than the current DTS and a character line with an undercut lies just below the belt-line.

Welburn declined to give specific timing except to say that both cars were coming soon. We already know that DTS is ending production soon to make way for the Volt at the Detroit Hamtramck plant. There was also no indication of powertrains, although the ATS is likely to be powered by four- and six-cylinder engines. The XTS may use the next generation small block V8 that debuts next year.

Cadillac XTS looks like Sixteen Concept, ATS aims at 3 Series with RWD originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 11 Aug 2009 11:57:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=oIQqI6rp2iU:MdbI1dvmYY4:wF9xT autoblog?i=oIQqI6rp2iU:MdbI1dvmYY4:V_sGL
oIQqI6rp2iU

View the full article

Sounds good to me! Looks like my butt in about 5-6 years is going to be pulled by this awesome Cadillac.

Kinda of a slap in the face to the Sixteen to put it's design elements on a FWD platform.

And it doesn't look like a Sixteen if the hood is short....that was one of the car's defining features.

Why no pictures? I thought they were going to be releasing pictures of each.

Seems no matter what GM does someone has to complain.

Get with it there is not going to be any V16 engines and the styling was too good to not use. At least let them show you what they really have before you complain.

If it looks like crap after it is out at least it will be an informed opinion.

One has to remember this is not a 7 series car nor ment to be. Not every Cadillac buyer wants a BMW. Something different if well done is fine. They have to have cars for non gear heads too.

If they release pictures now then people will complain they are tired of see it by the time it is out I.E. Camaro.

It is better GM waits till they are a little closer.

Get with it there is not going to be any V16 engines and the styling was too good to not use. At least let them show you what they really have before you complain.

One has to remember this is not a 7 series car nor ment to be. Not every Cadillac buyer wants a BMW. Something different if well done is fine. They have to have cars for non gear heads too.

GM has Buick for those buyers, otherwise what the f@#k is the point of Buick?

Cadillac should be aiming for the big luxury brands, Buick can duke it out with Acura and the tarted up Camry.

The XTS doesn't really bother me now that we know we're getting a RWD sedan & coupe ATS. That is what Cadillac really needs right now. Until the entry & mid level entrees are 100% competitive, they shouldn't even be thinking about a 7-series competitor.

Edited by mustang84

But what if this car is really worth the price premium over the smaller and narrower buick?

Then people will buy it instead of the Buick... unless it's as good as the Audi A8, priced accordingly, and doesn't compete with the LaCrosse or a NG Lucerne. Which I find possible but very unlikely.

Edited by ZL-1

GM has Buick for those buyers, otherwise what the f@#k is the point of Buick?

Cadillac should be aiming for the big luxury brands, Buick can duke it out with Acura and the tarted up Camry.

+1

I want to be optimistic about this, but I don't think it's right.

And I'm also not happy with a 3 car Cadillac line. Cadillac needs to have a halo of some sort, whether it be a 7 series competitor, an XLR type vehicle or the Converj.

I certainly hope it looks as stunning as the Sixteen.

Just as I hope the adaptation of the Zeta Impalas design theme transfers to Eps II well.

I don't care if it's a FWD-based platform. If it comes standard with AWD, it should keep people from getting too upset over it. The Audi A8 gets away with it. Why not Cadillac?

Then, if GM can figure out how to produce a lightweight, large RWD platform that isn't expensive to produce like the Zeta, then they should do it.

I think if this car is anywhere near looking like the Sixteen, Cadillac will have a real winner on it's hands.

I can't even begin to describe how excited I am about the ATS. I think that might be my first Cadillac purchase.

Edited by Cadillacfan

The Audi A8 gets away with it. Why not Cadillac?

Well Case in Point the new SRX. See how many reviewers have got their panties in wad after the new SRX went FWD. Most of them did not like the old one any ways now find holes in the new SRX because it is not RWD. Yet Audi Q5 is being gushed over by all articles.

Well Case in Point the new SRX. See how many reviewers have got their panties in wad after the new SRX went FWD. Most of them did not like the old one any ways now find holes in the new SRX because it is not RWD. Yet Audi Q5 is being gushed over by all articles.

I liked the old one, except it's styling was a little odd. It was one Cadillac that I would have picked over a comparable BMW. Also, other companies don't seem to have the same constraints GM has when it comes to platforms.

The XTS doesn't really bother me now that we know we're getting a RWD sedan & coupe ATS. That is what Cadillac really needs right now. Until the entry & mid level entrees are 100% competitive, they shouldn't even be thinking about a 7-series competitor.

that

q5 = ugly and fat q7 too ftm

my only reservation to this is that the sixteen design is very much rear drive proportions. an epsilon sixteen cannot look the same

Pretty much every review I read has been positive. Especially with the turbo.

Funny all the reviewers I have seen love the SRX and make no mention of RWD vs FWD. The only major complait was the lack of power int he 3.0 to go witht he handling they loved. Now the 2.8 Turbo has been tested they all say it fixed the problem.

OK GM makes this a 7 series RWD car for $100,000. What do you do when it fails like the STS V and XLR V did. Your going to only sell Cadillacs to people for $70K right now unless it is a CTSV and they are the limited exception.

GM needs Caddy to dominate the 3 and 5 before they can convince people to spend more. In the Mean time not everyone who wants a Caddy wants a performance car. Somw people just want a comfortable ride from point A to B. Untill Cadilac can prove their worth of a high dollar car a cheaper FWD/AWD will have to do.

Remember people pay the prices many times just for the name and Cadillac is still not a high dollar name yet. You have to walk before you run. BMW earned it rep with the 3 series and then 5 series. Once they were proven the 7 became the car they could ask more money for. Even then the 5 and 3 still are the profit centers.

Besides lets see what they do before we write it off. It is stupied to condem a car no one has even seen yet or know all the details yet. It is like arguing about who is going to win the super bowl before the season starts.

Edited by hyperv6

There are qualified acceptances for the SRX with the references of the new one being an inferior FWD application. My point was that even though it is a good vehicle, reviewers still expect the SRX to be RWD when Audi can get by with its FWD bias Q5.

Funny all the reviewers I have seen love the SRX and make no mention of RWD vs FWD. The only major complait was the lack of power int he 3.0 to go witht he handling they loved. Now the 2.8 Turbo has been tested they all say it fixed the problem.

OK GM makes this a 7 series RWD car for $100,000. What do you do when it fails like the STS V and XLR V did. Your going to only sell Cadillacs to people for $70K right now unless it is a CTSV and they are the limited exception.

GM needs Caddy to dominate the 3 and 5 before they can convince people to spend more. In the Mean time not everyone who wants a Caddy wants a performance car. Somw people just want a comfortable ride from point A to B. Untill Cadilac can prove their worth of a high dollar car a cheaper FWD/AWD will have to do.

Remember people pay the prices many times just for the name and Cadillac is still not a high dollar name yet. You have to walk before you run. BMW earned it rep with the 3 series and then 5 series. Once they were proven the 7 became the car they could ask more money for. Even then the 5 and 3 still are the profit centers.

This stop gap approach and not giving 100% effort is costing GM. STS and XLR were half baked. GM never gave them full attention.

Funny Lexus did not follow GM's foot steps of gunning smaller luxury vehicles to "establish" itself before having a credible S and 7er competitor, and neither has Hyundai. And was Lexus or Hyundai high dollar game?

3 and 5 may be profit centers but 7 can rake in money. Mercedes' profit slipped 70+% when sales of S class dipped 40% because S is a bigger profit center than the C or E. AMG and M are milking centers. So yes gunning the top of luxury heap is just as important as pushing the bottom. Half baked approach on top will not work with the FWD XTS.

Besides lets see what they do before we write it off. It is stupied to condem a car no one has even seen yet or know all the details yet. It is like arguing about who is going to win the super bowl before the season starts.

Who is arguing? People are stating the obvious - Patriots in full strength playing against one legged men from Colts. :P

There are qualified acceptances for the SRX with the references of the new one being an inferior FWD application. My point was that even though it is a good vehicle, reviewers still expect the SRX to be RWD when Audi can get by with its FWD bias Q5.

The Q5 is not FWD-biased; its engine is mounted north-south and it uses a permanent Torsen AWD system that sends power to the rear wheels *without* the front wheels needing to slip.

The Tiguan 4Motion, on the other hand, is FWD based. Its engine is mounted east-west and it uses a Haldex system that isn't proactive.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead