Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

Jalopnik: Super Cool Custom Cabover Watches Sunset Over Bonneville [Speed Week]

7 posts in this topic

504x_Cabover_Chevy_Pickup.jpgSo we're heading to the turn in the access road for where we've camped out, and what to our wondering eyes should appear but this unfathomably cool 1950 Chevy Cabover custom built into a pickup.

We sought out the owner to hear about the details and it turns out the truck is a lot more interesting than meets the eye. While it's a 1950 cabin, it's riding on a 1970 Chevy K10 3/4 ton chassis, and one might imagine something like a 350 or 454 under the hood but again, nope, it's a 5300 V8 out of a modern Chevy pickup. Interesting. The truck looks like it rolled off the factory floor like that, instead the bed is off a similar vintage truck but the rocker panels and steps are all hand fabricated and the front fenders have been trimmed down to fit the lower profile. We've got a soft spot for these old Chevy's and this cabover is a special kind of cool.

di
di

full?d=H0mrP-F8Qgo full?d=yIl2AUoC8zA full?i=Netb70BE1g8:lkhE40q41S4:D7DqB2pKE full?i=Netb70BE1g8:lkhE40q41S4:V_sGLiPBp
Netb70BE1g8

View the full article

That is one gorgeous truck.

Balthy, how many of these were made in the 1950's? And how much will it cost to get one as a project?

How'd you know I'd peek in here? :P

COEs are heavy-duty trucks. Not only is Chevy notorious for not recording/releasing truck production figures (my book has no Chevy numbers from '16 thru '65 and no GMC numbers period - but for a few rare exceptions), I've never seen any for the HD trucks.

I heard it thru the enthusiast grapevine... from a guy who supposedly saw Ford's records, that 55K of the Ford COEs were built, in the style of mine- easily the most popular (now) of any of the COEs. This style was built '38-42 and '46-47, or 7 model years. That averages 7800/yr. Pretty positive Ford trucks outsold Chevy since the beginning.

The style of the Chevy COE above ran from '48 thru '53. And overall, the industry marketshare for the COE was on the downside of it's peak in the early '40s from what I've gathered 'out of the corner of my eye'. So as a rough guess, maybe 4000 were built in '50 ???

They don't have Corvette survival rates, but these Chevys are definately out there (Hemmings, eBayMotors, etc). As with Ford, the earlier style is more popular for Chevy (the '41-47s), but all these are out there. Most folk prefer to only use the cab and swap the chassis-powertrains, so the cabs are the most valuable component of the whole truck. Values are not huge- a real solid cab of this style Chevy should be in the $1x00 range, or to widen it a bit: $750-$2000. My Ford was $1750 in 2003.

Someone here in Berea has a COE modified in a similar fashion. Trucks like these do capture people's attention quite well.

Very cool...I saw something like this built from a '53-55 Ford in a magazine a while back (Hot Rod, maybe), modified into a super cab (4dr).

Very cool, even with its big forehead.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0