Do you like the new LaCrosse/Allure?

trinacriabob

What do you think of the new LaCrosse/Allure?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new LaCrosse/Allure?

• I love it - blows 05-09 LaX away
    • I like it - better than 05-09 LaX
    • I like it - though not necessarily more than 05-09 Lax
    • I am indifferent to it/undecided toward it
    • I don't like it - but don't like 05-09 LaX either
    • I don't like it - but do like 05-09 LaX
    • Other - comment/explain

I know most people here love the new LaCrosse/Allure...the design, the mechanics, the fit and finish. I know there are a few of us who think it wasn't handled that well and that it's no big deal. I wanted to quantify this with a poll.

What's your take on this new car?

Objectively it blows the old LaX out of the water. More advanced powertrains, better handling dynamics, better packaging, modern interior, more features, etc.

Subjectively, it blows the LaX out of the water for me, because it's styled a thousand times better. I never liked anything about the old LaX. It looks sharp, modern, desirable. It doesn't look like just another Buick. It's got better proportions. The interior really does it for me though. Swooping and modern. It kinda reminds me of the last Riviera interior if it had been done today. I love the integrated controls and the way things flow together.

This car is a Buick that sedan that can finally win over buyers from other brands, not just GM faithful.

Sharp looking car...big leap forward w/ modern platform, engine, transmission, etc...well executed interior and exterior, nicely detailed, nice use of Buick styling cues. Should serve the brand well and draw in potential customers that never paid attention to Buick previously.

I'm a big fan of the new Lacrosse. The old one was completely inward looking, designed to appeal to their traditional customers and improve things that were wrong with the old Regal. However, the new Lax was designed to beat the world in the market segment it claims to compete in. Its refinement and attention to detail, especially the interior styling, makes it a winner for me. I am a bit worried about its weight however.

I agree with everyone's comments so far.I love it in person. Pics really do not do it justice. The MPG figures are a bit of a disappoiontment - I was hoping for it to be closer to 30MPG.

Though this car does blow the 05-09 LaX out of the water, I don't hate thte 05-09. The CXS I had as a rental was a pretty competent car if you looked at it in a vacuum. The leather seats were very comfortable, it accelerated and handled very well, and had a vault-like quality to it. Overall it's probably the second best W body, with the Intrigue being #1. It has the distinction of being the only rental car I ever washed.

Overall it's probably the second best W body, with the Intrigue being #1.

You can't believe how much I torment myself over not having picked up an Intrigue brand new from a dealership. I like my LaCrosse just fine, but it doesn't have the sleek cat-like looks of the Intrigue.

The Intrigue is my favorite car of the last dozen years.

Edited by trinacriabob

You can't believe how much I torment myself over not having picked up an Intrigue brand new from a dealership. I like my LaCrosse just fine, but it doesn't have the sleek cat-like looks of the Intrigue.

The Intrigue is my favorite car of the last dozen years.

Intrigue is prolly my #3, behind the 2nd gen Aurora (#1, duh, I own one), and the 1st gen SRX.

I will say, this LaCrosse blows the other one out of the water.

As far as W-bodies go, the Intrigue was my favorite by far. I frequently wonder what the Intrigue would have become, how it would have evolved, if it had lived on.

It may sound crazy, but as nice as the Aura is, the Intrigue to me was sportier looking. I compare the two because I feel the Aura was positioned to do what the Intrigue tried to do.

There are several GM cars I wish I could have new. Intrigue is definitely one of them.

I have almost the same criticisms of the car's styling as you do, trina. Also, except for the sweepspear, the styling could just as easily be that of a Mercury. Still, it's a huge improvement over the old car and should sell well.

This car absolutely pwns :P the previous LaCrosse. Not that I completely hated it though... but I did always wish it had had a better interior. And a modern transmission.

Buick's doing it right though as a premium brand should. Rebuilding their brand from the top down instead of from the bottom up... or from the middle out. (I'm looking at YOU, Caddy! <_<) Of course, having Opels as a drawing board doesn't hurt...

Like others, I am looking forward to the Regal.

I voted "blown away" because the wife is completely enamored with the new LaCrosse; she wouldn't even look at the old LaCrosse last year when we were car shopping. She is not one for needlessly test driving cars without planning to buy one, but she has stated several times to me that as soon as they hit the dealers she wants to take one out for a spin. She's even asked me to take the G6 so she could buy a new LaCrosse!! We'll see what happens in the fall, though I still like the GMC Terrain better.

I voted "blown away" because the wife is completely enamored with the new LaCrosse; she wouldn't even look at the old LaCrosse last year when we were car shopping. She is not one for needlessly test driving cars without planning to buy one, but she has stated several times to me that as soon as they hit the dealers she wants to take one out for a spin. She's even asked me to take the G6 so she could buy a new LaCrosse!! We'll see what happens in the fall, though I still like the GMC Terrain better.

Oh boy, the dice has been rolled. Seems like you will have a Pontiac and she will have a Buick. Out goes your dream of owning anything Professional Grade. :smilewide:

I'm split,

Styling wise it is perfect. A really handsome car that is perfect for the more conservative softer lux segments. It even manages to fit into this segment without completley blending in, not an easy ballance to strike.

The interior is spectacular. Class leading by far.

Ride and NVH look to be perfect as well which leaves my biggest are of concern...

Powertrains.

First the fact that the 3.0 is so slow while providing no real advantage in fuel econ. is a real issue. Whats the point besides making the fraction of people who get the CSX pay more for the engine? The engine isn't any cheaper to make or barley is because it basically is the 3.6 with a different displacment and tune. Also why no AWD on the CSX?

To my way of thinking the 3.6 should be standard with the the CSX getting a DI version of the 2.8T at about 320 hp and tourque.

Don't even get me started on the 2.4. That car is going to be dog slow.

Still I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars, a really solid effort.

If its replacing the Lucerne in the lineup more then the lacrosse i guess the fact that it's not a barn burner is alright as long as the next regal gets the cobalt SS 2.0 DI turbo making close to 300 hp so Buick can have a real sport model in the lineup for those who like a real sleaper.

The LaCrosse is exactly as interesting and exciting as a Toyota Avalon.

The Regal 2.0 turbo makes 210-220 hp (Chinese version) does does 0-60 in 8 seconds. If the Regal is 4-cylinder only here, it is another snooze mobile from Buick. Although the 3800 Buicks only had 200 hp and were 0-60 in over 8 seconds also, so the Buick faithful will feel right at home in it.

Oh boy, the dice has been rolled. Seems like you will have a Pontiac and she will have a Buick. Out goes your dream of owning anything Professional Grade. :smilewide:

Well, I wouldn't say that yet. The LaCrosse she likes, the ones shown at the car shows (CXS), is priced way out our range, so unless we hit the loterry soon...

regal will be 4 cyl only to differentiate from lacrosse. this to me guarantees the 4 cyl turbo will be here because NFW buick can market the regal with the normally aspirated engine by itself.

also, if the turbo is available i cannot see them not offering a manual because the manual will get the most out of the turbo.

so by nature the regal will be a very different car than the lacrosse. it will be smaller, different interior, four cylinder only, no all wheel drive.

There may still be AWD. the insignia offers it on some models so there is no reason the regal couldn't.

i would like to see this lineup...

CX and CXL 1 - 2.4 DI making about 185hp and ftlbs.

CXL 2 - 2.0 DI TT making 230-240 hp and 250 ftlbs

CXS 2.0 DI TT making 300 hp and 300 ftlbs.

I tend to think that GM should just stick with the excellent 6 speed auto cause very few people can out shift it with a manual and GM doesn't really have many good and/or reliable FWD/AWD manuals.

AWD would be optional on the CXL 2 and CXS.

NONE of these componenets are not already 99 percent developed and in the GM parts bin. Most are designed to fit into the SWB epsilon 2.

I tend to doubt I'll get my regal powertrain lineup but there is no reason GM couldn't make this the cars engine lineup.

Well GM has a mess of LNF DI Tubo 2.0 with no place to put them after 2010. The Regal would be a perfect fit. 260 HP would be very nice and I would not need a V6 at that point. Offer a stage kit for those who want more and don't care if they can't run regular gas. That would make it a winner.

GM has a plan for the LNF but just what cars will get it remain to be seen.

Also the manual tranny would find its way in since the car is already engineered for it. The question is how many will buy it. Just because you make them does not mean people will buy them.

The Lacrosse is a very nice car and will do well. It is not the kind of car I want but there is a market for it. Once you get over $30K the other model options increase.

As for performance it will be fine. Cars in this class are not performance cars. As long as it handles well, quiet and rides well as reviews have already stated it should not be an issue.

Also the manual tranny would find its way in since the car is already engineered for it. The question is how many will buy it. Just because you make them does not mean people will buy them.

Yeah, A Regal or LaCrosse with a manual would probably achieve 0.000000005 percent of sales.

Not my type of car, but it should be very competitive in its class. It's a well-designed, well-finished and well-equipped product. In the entry-lux space, I'd gravitate towards the CTS, but having different choices for different buyers is a good thing.

Rob

I can see a well appointed Regal as a bargin A4 turbo fighter.

The 2.0 Turbo is as good as the Audi and with the Opel tuning on this car it should handle well. I like where they could go with this car. The key is the price and value to get a high quality car at a value price that may get new blood to give it a chance and prove itself.

The key to most GM cars is to over deliver. Give people the most for their money. Don't over promise and under deliver in the past.

For GM to sell these new cars they first need to get peoples attention and their butts behind the wheels. Let them see this time things really have improved. What ever they do don't over claim or over promise. They have little credit now and can't afford to lose anymore.

Edited by hyperv6

The Buick dealership near my house has three of these out in front. Looks even more amazing in person. There certainly were a lot of people out in front looking at them too which is amazing considering it's a Buick dealership and most people under the age of 80 wouldn't be caught dead there.

Sharp looking car...big leap forward w/ modern platform, engine, transmission, etc...well executed interior and exterior, nicely detailed, nice use of Buick styling cues. Should serve the brand well and draw in potential customers that never paid attention to Buick previously.

+1

Couldn't have said it better myself, Rob.

Chris

Agreed, methinks a G6 and a Buick are in (GMCTG74) his future.

A great looking car that is saddled with 2 lame names (LaCrosse and Allure) and a brand damaging Chevy spec CX base trim. GM still doesn't know how to manage or position Buick.

I'm hoping when the Regal comes the CXL will become the new CX for the LaCrosse. That'll allow the price to bump up a little and who knows, maybe they can add even a little more luxury.

I hate it, but I'm sure that comes as no surprise.

Looks Japanese to me, and unremarkable.

Agreed. I'm not to the level of "hating" it, but "strongly indifferent" is about as bad. I see it as a collage of a lot of current cars it is trying to emulate. Sadly, I can't say that about the Fusion nor the new Taurus. The way the (sales) numbers will shake out for this segment will be interesting.

checked out LaX at a dealer this evening.

WOW. the exterior is quite awesome in the flesh.

the sweepspear and grille in photos look cheesy but in the flesh its captivating. the rear deck although a lexus knockoff is quite tasty also. there is not a bad line on the car.

the rear window and taillights are masterful.

the interior clearly is a HUGE upgrade over common GM fare. although I still feel by looks alone the seats did not look sculpted nor cushy and the leather looked slightly cheap. Usually buick leather is good though so i will wait for the but test.

i would guess the interior will come in at about a B+. the design is wonderful and the steering wheel and gauges look fantastic but the center stack, leather and door plastic still seem not quite the best. not audi like at least. its still a delish interior dont get me wrong...

i didnt think i would be keen on this car but man its a beautiful buick. also, the regal is passat like and the lacrosse is a different car. there will be no confusion between the two.

seemed like rear leg room is smaller than it should be.

I've sat in a new Taurus limited. Its pretty damn amazing inside. this looks like its nice too. i checked out a new SHO the other day on a lot which was right next to an 09 taurus. the new taurus is garagantuan, HUGE. its a beast.

The LaCrosse has a tact and elegance and grace long since missing for buick and not really present in the taurus. its nice to have the taurus and the lacrosse, but man the lacrosse is nice.

Edited by regfootball

So, if you were in the market right now, which would you buy? (You've bought Fords before).

depends on the option level and how much i have to spend.

if those two cars are my choice......at 30k and a little bit i say taurus SEL with a few options, fwd. great mpg, no cheesy base motor.

at the high 30's price range i might say lacrosse based on style.

but ultimately the SHO's will be massively discounted and 365 turbo hp and AWD with a useful trunk FTW.

I saw a 2010 LaCrosse CXS at the dealership today. It is a beautiful car. Here are some of my impressions about it:

1) The car is big enough to serve as Buick's flagship sedan. As such, I still believe it has the wrong name. It should have been called "Invicta" or GM should have resurrected the "LeSabre" name for it. "LaCrosse" just doesn't do it justice.

2) It should only be available in the CXS trim level with a few available stand alone options. I'm sure the lower trim levels (especially the Chevy spec CX trim level) will dilute the appeal of this car. This car is a game changer for Buick and it should be equipped and priced as such.

3) This car sure made the Lucerne that was parked near it look even more geriatric and pathetic. GM should have eliminated the Lucerne as well as the W-body LaCrosse when it launched this car. Buick will be just fine with the Enclave and 2010 LaCrosse until smaller products can be brought to market to slot below these 2 incredible game changers for the brand.

4) It looks even better in person than it does in the pictures. I was amazed at the high level of execution in the interior. It is simply stunning. The only letdown was that the dealership applied a tacky pinstripe to the sides of the car. I think the modern interpretation of the sweepspear is well done and executed in a way that it really doesn't need a tacky pinstripe to accentuate it.

Hopefully GM realizes Buick's potential and continues to expand its lineup with great products that are on par or surpass the standard set by the Enclave and 2010 LaCrosse.

2) It should only be available in the CXS trim level with a few available stand alone options. I'm sure the lower trim levels (especially the Chevy spec CX trim level) will dilute the appeal of this car. This car is a game changer for Buick and it should be equipped and priced as such.

4) It looks even better in person than it does in the pictures. I was amazed at the high level of execution in the interior. It is simply stunning. The only letdown was that the dealership applied a tacky pinstripe to the sides of the car. I think the modern interpretation of the sweepspear is well done and executed in a way that it really doesn't need a tacky pinstripe to accentuate it.

Hopefully GM realizes Buick's potential and continues to expand its lineup with great products that are on par or surpass the standard set by the Enclave and 2010 LaCrosse.

Honestly I love it. I will actually consider it when I go shopping for another FWD four door sedan someday. Just as I did with the Enclave but was priced way out of reach for me, when I got the Torrent. At roughly 32K I would consider a stripper CXL FWD with a FEW extra's. A base CX with alloy wheels would be fine as well but rest assured I will not drive one with a four banger. The 3.0L would have enough power, but needs every pony it has to pull a 4,000 sedan around. Another 50 lbft. of torque would fix that. I am not a typical "Buick" buyer but with Pontiac gone and always prefering them over Chevrolet this might be an option either new (if I can get a few rebates) or pre-driven like my SLE. If I was sedan shopping it would be a LaCrosse CXL FWD or a Malibu 2LT.

I saw a 2010 LaCrosse CXS at the dealership today. It is a beautiful car.

I saw my first 2010 LaCrosse last night at a dealership. That's why I started this thread...to see how everyone viewed this car.

All of my opinions from viewing the photos remain because I think we saw enough photos to where the physical presence is no surprise. My opinions remain exactly the same. The only pluses are the updated grille and a dashboard/interior that is functional and asthetically appealing. In fact, the fact that the dashboard tapers away makes for a great feeling in the cabin. I will add the only new thing I noticed: the side sculpting on the upper fender flanks is unique and complements the car.

The minuses continue unchanged: the BMW side-front marker lamps, the Lexus rear (a co-worker said "it looks EXACTLY like a Lexus" -- is this good? No), and the biggest demerit--the squashed greenhouse and practically horizontal backlite. I detest it.

The fit and finish are excellent and the quality appears to be high. Since I was disappointed, I immediately made a beeline for the Ford dealership in the same auto mall. There was no Taurus, but I did see a silver one at the airport rental agency last weekend (I went to Tahoe in an inexpensive rental). It was nice; however, the Fusion makes the most sense to me and, damn, I see so many on the road. People seem to love the Fusion/Milans. They make a helluva lot of sense and their reliability has been stellar.

If in the market right now, I'd buy a G8 in V6 form for the loyalty factor, but then would quickly steer to the Ford dealership and pick up a base Fusion in the medium metallic blue with a cloth bucket seat interior, alloy wheels and the upgrade into a walnut applique dash instead of the brushed aluminum crap. Sorry, you folks know I've driven nothing but GM cars, but right now they have nothing I like.

If in the market right now, I'd buy a G8 in V6 form for the loyalty factor, but then would quickly steer to the Ford dealership and pick up a base Fusion in the medium metallic blue with a cloth bucket seat interior, alloy wheels and the upgrade into a walnut applique dash instead of the brushed aluminum crap. Sorry, you folks know I've driven nothing but GM cars, but right now they have nothing I like.

Not even a DTS/Lucerne?

Not even a DTS/Lucerne?

The DTS, yes (Ice Blue Metallic, if they still make it)

The Lucerne, no

The DTS pricing is in nosebleed territory, so I was thinking about what wouldn't be a hit on the wallet...

The DTS, yes (Ice Blue Metallic, if they still make it)

The Lucerne, no

The DTS pricing is in nosebleed territory, so I was thinking about what wouldn't be a hit on the wallet...

Then get an 08 DTS, they go for like $23,000. It is amazing how much they depreciate in just 1-2 years. Or a 2008 STS, they got for about $23,000 also.

Edited by smk4565

Then get an 08 DTS, they go for like $23,000. It is amazing how much they depreciate in just 1-2 years. Or a 2008 STS, they got for about $23,000 also.

My '08 LaCrosse was bought new and only has 3,787 miles on it. It gathers dust! I keep driving the damn '92 Regal. But, over Labor Day weekend, the LaCrosse will stretch its legs. I may post some pictures.