Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

2006 Car & Truck Finalists Announced

Guest Josh

Just minutes ago Local 4 in Metro-Detroit announced the finalists for North American Car & Truck Of The Year. The results are as follows

2006 Car Of The Year

2006 Ford Fusion
2006 Honda Civic
2006 Pontiac Solstice

2006 Truck Of The Year

2006 Ford Explorer
2006 Honda Ridgeline
2006 Nissan Xterra

Chime in with your thoughts!

Just minutes ago Local 4 in Metro-Detroit announced the finalists for North American Car & Truck Of The Year. The results are as follows

2006 Car Of The Year

2006 Ford Fusion
2006 Honda Civic
2006 Pontiac Solstice

2006 Truck Of The Year

2006 Ford Explorer
2006 Honda Ridgeline
2006 Nissan Xterra

Chime in with your thoughts!

[post="58001"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think they'll choose Solstice for car of the year. Fusion is nice, but c'mon it's essentially an Accord.

For truck, probably Ridgeline. No one knows the best Explorer yet is new and it's a real dog on the sales floor. The Ridgeline's not exactly lighting the place up either, but they'll probably want to accentuate innovation.

Since this isn't a competition based on looks, The Civic and Ridgeline will probably take the cake.

[post="58038"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

For the Civic to win, that's the only way.

Stop with any phony baloney poltical correctness. To say how a car is styled doesn't matter is just an excuse for badly everything else has been pummeled by the Solstice. The gap is that large.

Solstice just plain flat buries any other car from the last decade with it's styling.

For that alone it wins.

And on top of it all, it really is a very very VERY good car. Any writer or car lover that doesn't say whoa when they first saw the Solstice is dead.

Solstice wins, anything else is a fraud. Truck, who cares. Edited by Angry Dad

Solstice interior isn't top-notch (not that it really matters in this segment) but the performance isn't even class-leading. It needs a s/c. Reason I said Fusion is that it is near the top of its class and every review has been glowing. Plus, for FORD, I mean wow.

Solstice interior isn't top-notch (not that it really matters in this segment) but the performance isn't even class-leading.  It needs a s/c.

Reason I said Fusion is that it is near the top of its class and every review has been glowing.  Plus, for FORD, I mean wow.

[post="58295"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Performance isn't leading?

Park the three together.

It's over for the Civic and Fusion. Yep the "performance" standing still is lopsided.

Argue all you want but there is a great reason for the Solstice to win. In two years nobody will know OR CARE when the Fusion or Civic came out.

This award is going to be as one sided as Reggie Bush and the Heisman, Ford and Honda can only take solace in which comes in second.

Performance isn't leading?

Park the three together.

It's over for the Civic and Fusion. Yep the "performance" standing still is lopsided.

Argue all you want but there is a great reason for the Solstice to win.  In two years nobody will know OR CARE when the Fusion or Civic came out.

This award is going to be as one sided as Reggie Bush and the Heisman, Ford and Honda can only take solace in which comes in second.

[post="58321"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Oh, please. Fusion and Civic aren't in the same segment as Solstice! Solstice competes with Miata, and Solstice lacks an easy roof, trunk space, and is overweight. It needs a s/c to be classleading.

Fusion and Civic are the frontrunners in this, and I think the Fusion will get it simply because it is the 1986 Taurus redux.

Solstice by far. Since when has a vehicle been THIS hard to obtain from GM at sticker? Some may say the CTS, however that vehicles sales leveled off. The Solstice is limited volume, has the looks, and yes, has power to boot. I got mine sideways in 1st, 2nd and 3rd tonight on the way to Hooters with a coworker. It was dry, the tires were warm. This car by far deserves car of the year for what it's done, and will do for Pontiacs image. Far and away more than the GTO. People are forgetting that it starts at $19,995. Today, somebody at work said mine looked like it were $29k. That says something.

Oh, please.  Fusion and Civic aren't in the same segment as Solstice!  Solstice competes with Miata, and Solstice lacks an easy roof, trunk space, and is overweight.  It needs a s/c to be classleading.

[post="58398"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Sure it lacks things, but so do the Fusion and Civic.

As for performance, I'd say it's pretty up to par. Every comparison I've seen has had the Solstice within .2s within the Miata from 0-60, and one even have it in front of it by .1s. In addition, the Solstice isn't about brute force thrusting you forward, it's about flinging the car into a corner at speed and still having it stick to the road.

The GXP is coming with a turbo with 250+HP, so that will solve any lack of power issues.

I think those finalists are f'ed up. The Solstice will win because of design and handling. But how did the fusion get in there? The civic remember has the hybrid and the Si. Everyone is raving about the Si. Kinda suprised new 3 series isn't there. As far as the truck the Ridgeline really should win. i was converted what can i say. and the new xterra seems to win the 4x4 guys over. The explorer however has gotten slammed by almost everyone and I found it sub par. Range Rover Sport maybe? Is this thing open to European models? I never follow these awards closely but I can't imagine these are the best out of whats out there.

I said on the front page the trucks are screwy. General Motors should sweep the truck catagory. One for each brand. I see the Escalade taking next years cap, as well as the year after with the hybrid powertrain. But, this is about this year, not next. I thought the H3 and FJ Cruiser were both eligible for this nomination? Also, the HHR is a "truck" as certified. There seems to be many other obvious choices. The car side, the Solstice does not surprise me, nor does the Fusion. However, the Civic is weak. I'd venture to say a new Hyundai model would fit better than the Civic. I mean, what's the point? I drive by one everyday on my way to work in the Solstice. If the Solstice does not win, there's something wrong because this thing breaks necks by looks alone.

I said on the front page the trucks are screwy. General Motors should sweep the truck catagory. One for each brand. I see the Escalade taking next years cap, as well as the year after with the hybrid powertrain.

But, this is about this year, not next.

I thought the H3 and FJ Cruiser were both eligible for this nomination? Also, the HHR is a "truck" as certified. There seems to be many other obvious choices.

The car side, the Solstice does not surprise me, nor does the Fusion. However, the Civic is weak. I'd venture to say a new Hyundai model would fit better than the Civic.

I mean, what's the point? I drive by one everyday on my way to work in the Solstice. If the Solstice does not win, there's something wrong because this thing breaks necks by looks alone.

[post="58478"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Gm should of had the Tahoe ready as a 06 model that way they could of released it in Oct or Nov and easily picked up truck of the year honours and they could of used all that free PR. I wouldn't count out the Civic so quickly. I might sound like a Honda guy put it does bring a complete package, 2 door, 4 door, family car, SI tuner and Hybrid. It is easliy the benchmark for small cars and could win this award. Solstice and Fusion are brand new and did not become best in class. Just prey Honda doesn't win both.

As far as the truck the Ridgeline really should win. i was converted what can i say.

What exactly is in that Honda kool-aid?

but they'll probably want to accentuate innovation.

Or ignorance and blind loyalty....

Opinions, opinions..... Gotta love 'em! :D

I thought the H3 and FJ Cruiser were both eligible for this nomination? Also, the HHR is a "truck" as certified. There seems to be many other obvious choices.

I agree.... Both the HHR and H3 have revolutionary performance in the market place, with the H3 virtually saving Hummer after 2 years of "drive a Prius" media commentary and lambasting and the HHR making it cool to be young and drive a Chevy once again.

And eventhough I hate the very fabric of Toyota's existence, I can't deny that the FJ Cruiser is cool. In fact, A LOT cooler than the wannabe/poser Ridgeline.

The car side, the Solstice does not surprise me, nor does the Fusion. However, the Civic is weak. I'd venture to say a new Hyundai model would fit better than the Civic.

I agree... There is nothing REVOLUTIONARY about the new Civic. Sure it's a strong entry, typical of Honda, but the interior is a disaster IMO and the exterior isn't much better. It is selling well though and at least the Si is worthy of it's badge now.

But, the Fusion and the Solstice on the other hand.... The Solstice is in the process of COMPLETELY transforming Pontiac's image. it IS, essentially the first "gotta have" product from a corporation AND a division that have been slowly dieing for 2 decades now. And the Fusion.... Talk about a surprise hit. Ford did their homework, and is showing the world that they CAN INDEED compete wih the Asians in the mid size sedan segment yet again, and in fact, IMO, out perform them. Best of all, both are DOMESTICs that people ACTUALLY want to buy based on merit! They are the very turning point we've all been so desperately waiting for.

What exactly is in that Honda kool-aid?
Or ignorance and blind loyalty....

Opinions, opinions..... Gotta love 'em! :D
I agree.... Both the HHR and H3 have revolutionary performance in the market place, with the H3 virtually saving Hummer after 2 years of "drive a Prius" media commentary and lambasting and the HHR making it cool to be young and drive a Chevy once again.

And eventhough I hate the very fabric of Toyota's existence, I can't deny that the FJ Cruiser is cool. In fact, A LOT cooler than the wannabe/poser Ridgeline.
I agree... There is nothing REVOLUTIONARY about the new Civic. Sure it's a strong entry, typical of Honda, but the interior is a disaster IMO and the exterior isn't much better. It is selling well though and at least the Si is worthy of it's badge now.

But, the Fusion and the Solstice on the other hand.... The Solstice is in the process of COMPLETELY transforming Pontiac's image. it IS, essentially the first "gotta have" product from a corporation AND a division that have been slowly dieing for 2 decades now. And the Fusion.... Talk about a surprise hit. Ford did their homework, and is showing the world that they CAN INDEED compete wih the Asians in the mid size sedan segment yet again, and in fact, IMO, out perform them. Best of all, both are DOMESTICs that people ACTUALLY want to buy based on merit! They are the very turning point we've all been so desperately waiting for.

[post="60866"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't think we've agreed this much FOG...it sort of makes me want to shed a tear. Well, I did say almost. :P