2011 Infiniti M56

Bimmer325

I don't know what but, you kinda get addicted to looking at it. Kind of like art, everytime you view it again you see something different. That component of the design as well as the Audi-esque tail remind me of... Audi. I love these designs. Seductive curves is what sportlux is supposed to be.

It's much more of a looker than the current one. It does look a bit melted down, but unlike the Elantra where the blobs are random, you can see what the designers were aiming for. There's a nice hump around the rear wheels, like a cheetah about to pounce.

I liked the M45's body more

LeftFront2.jpg

It's ok, but the design is too busy, the front fascia is not very attractive, and I don't like the BMW M-series-like flappy ground effects.

Now that I think about it, this is the vibe I'm getting from the front

2002sonata.jpg

Edited by mustang84

It has a Hyundai-esque vibe. I feel like it should look better than it does. Weird. I think the designers got a tad bit carried away. Or maybe the design may be too modern for us to fully appreciate right now.

I certainly do not like the grille. It's like Nissan is trying to make their Infiniti grill distinctive, so they just made it huge. It looks like it belongs on the QX.

On another note, it looks like Inifiniti was the first of the Japanese 3 luxo makes to make their website global. Going to http://www.infiniti.com now takes you to a global site and you have to select your country. Way to go 'progress'! I hate splash pages, but at least it's an attractive splash page.

It's ok, but the design is too busy, the front fascia is not very attractive, and I don't like the BMW M-series-like flappy ground effects.

2002sonata.jpg

Funny, I was thinking this for the rest of it:

azera.jpg

I liked the M45's body more

LeftFront2.jpg

2002sonata.jpg

Ha! I feel the same way. Although I think the rear tail lights are less Hyundai Azera and more 1999 Mazda Millenia/ Mercedes CLS.

I'm really not digging these new generation Infinitis. Their designs are becoming very bland and derivative. The G35 was watered down and I just can't get myself to like the new FX35/45. They took a very attractive SUV and gave it a shark snout. Don't even get me started on how boring the EX35/45 is to me. This styling issue isn't just a problem with Infiniti but with Nissan as well.

Nissan was really on a roll a few years back. Now they're getting inconsistent and a little ugly. The 370Z and the GT-R are exceptions but the new Maxima has a love-it or hate-it design and the Murano is only good from certain angles and the front is definitely not one of those angles.

Edited by Cadillacfan

Meanwhile, at Cadillac...

2008_Cadillac_STS_ext_1.jpg

Meh, say what you will, but I'd rather have an STS than an M, though the pictured STS is wearing some ugly rims. And I agree with balthazar, I preferred the tauter '03-'05 M45 to the softer '06+ models.

At first glance, I hated it. At second glance, I found some appreciation for the organic and fluid appearance of the design. The glasshouse, however, makes the rear of the car look stubby and the low beltline makes the sides of the car appear too tall. It has its strengths but it also has its weaknesses.

in its own bubble its prob a nice car. but what is the MSRP? then, compare it to everything else you can get at that price. i don't think it has an identity compared to what else is available in that arena.

Its looks Korean. I'd almost have to go with the Acura really lame (RL) over this.

actually, this is one car where the hoffmeister dogleg kink on the rear window should have been done different. i think avoiding this now passe c pillar treatment on this car would have helped a lot.

the sculpting of the front end is not bad, but after the firewall the rest of the car loses me.

Edited by regfootball

Meanwhile, at Cadillac...

2008_Cadillac_STS_ext_1.jpg

:closedeyes:The STS U have pictured wasn't just an update of the STS that was introduced at the same time as the current M35/45. Hell the STS still looks great IMO... and it's a lame duck, due for replacement in 2011.

BUT WHOOOOAH... doesn't the CTS actually compete with the M??? I mean the M competes with the 5series. The CTS competes with the 5series, so I'm guessing that Cadillac has the leg up on this one considering the fact that what I'm seeing from this M is essentially a larger version of the G35 sedan already in production. HELL.. at first glance I actually thought that they had uploaded a G35 pic instead of the new M.

I will say that Infiniti does have an advantage over Cadillac due to their willingness to put their V8s in there mid-size Luxo offerings. 400HP coming outta a 5.6L DOHC is cool, but probably in a BIG and heavy package. Cadillac could easily raid the GM engine bin and grab the light, and petite 6.2L with 430HP and make a great deal of us happier.

I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. I will say that that the lines and cues of the Essence didn't translate as well onto them M as the designers would have liked.

I am feeling the same way. It seems like a job unfinished. Something old GM would do. :P

• 4 weeks later...

It lacks a sense of tautness to give it some definition. It is simply a series of curves that sort of dissolves into a melted looking blob. I think the overall concept is fine, it just needs some shape defining angular elements. If Infiniti were to "clean it up" and refine it a bit, I think it could be a cool looking car. I agree with Z-06; it looks a bit "unfinished" or like a concept that hasn't yet been refined.

Edited by cire