Server Move In Progress - Read More ×

Anybody seen this?

Former Popular GM Enthusiast Web-Site Sold

TheGMSource - For those that follow me know that I've been in this "business" for quite sometime. I started at GMInsideNews.com before I left and worked with Walter Keegan Jr. over at CheersandGears.com. That web-site, CheersandGears.com reached hits unimaginable for an independant GM enthusiast web-site. Today - I got wind that the web-site I once ran has been sold.

I left C&G to pursue my own options which ultimately lead to myself working with famed BlueOvalNews.com owner Robert Lane. Rob and I came to terms on an agreement on ownership of TheGMSource two years ago. C&G was once a great web-site full of ideas, insiders and breaking GM news but has not seen the level of hype once achieved when I was at the helm.

http://www.thegmsource.com/index.php?categ..._articleid=1265

Josh never ran the website did he? His duties as a moderator back in the day were shared with other mods from what I understood. It seems like he's taking all the credit for building up C&G, when in reality it was many people that helped grow this website.

Yes and no...

Josh was an admin with Walt, the rest of us were moderators. And yes, the site was at it's peak under his leadership but that wasn't necessarily JUST because of him. Hell, I recruited a TON of people here that eventually became mods and admins (Josh included -- I remember when he, I and Camino were all lowly posters over at SSRRS.com) I found this site via camaroz28.com (Walt was active there) and I promoted the hell out of it because I thought it was the coolest place on the net. (Those of you who are my friends on Facebook know how I like to use viral marketing)

FWIW, I was a mod at GMInsidenews as well when Josh was helping out at that site. Then the GMI and C&G war started and my allegiances were here, so I quietly got the boot at GMI.

Anyway... I'm not trying to get recognition, my point is that there were A LOT of very dedicated people that made this site what it was. Walt lost interest in the site and that started the slide. Then Brian came along and finished the slide into oblivion (including his "disappearance")

As far as what rkmdogs said... I would tend to agree. Not that the site is overtly leftist (even though it is leftist, it isn't annoyingly so) But, the fact remains that unless you share the viewpoint of a select few here, you're pretty much ridiculed and unwelcome. That's why so many people who were so loyal (including myself -- I came back because I was asked) spend most of their time somewhere else. And it's not that the 'select few' are really worth reading, it's just that they're the ones that care enough to run everyone off.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off and you guys are my online family. But it is what it is.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

http://www.thegmsource.com/index.php?categ..._articleid=1265

Josh never ran the website did he? His duties as a moderator back in the day were shared with other mods from what I understood. It seems like he's taking all the credit for building up C&G, when in reality it was many people that helped grow this website.

Welcome to this world.

Apparently Josh thinks he matters.

And for the record, C&G's decline has more to do with fanbois and lunatics driving away people who had real info, not some dude who made $h! up about GM's future plans.

Imagine that. Rabid GM fans at the BIGGEST GM fan site on the internet.

I mean, sure some passionate fans are annoying at times (definitely me included) but the fact remains that this is a GM site. Not merely an impartial "news site"

We want what's best for GM, fair or not.

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

It seems that Mr. Oliver is still quite the bitter apple about C&G. He has no room to criticize this site. GMS hasn't taken off like he said it would, now has it?

As for returning this site to the level of quality seen in past years, it all comes down to one thing: good, focused management. I have hope that Oldsmoboi can deliver on that.

I think it's quite sad that GMI has surpassed us. While I find GMI's layout horribly organized and the member base so massive it's easy to just blend in with the crowd if you aren't a regular, they do have an upper hand on us in that they have far more insiders posting than we do. Whatever insider tips we get are either delivered through PCS (whose credibility is questioned by quite a few people and has a bad tendency to piss off other members here) or hyperv6 (who doesn't post as frequently as he used to) and that's about it. AH-HA waved goodbye to us long ago, evok left after the "V8 will be dead" incident ... the list runs on.

As for returning this site to the level of quality seen in past years, it all comes down to one thing: good, focused management. I have hope that Oldsmoboi can deliver on that.

Let me clarify on this just a bit: when I say "quality," I mean the level of obtained exclusive content and insider news, keeping the front page fresh (something that has improved recently) with up-to-date news and making it stay that way, granting exclusive privileges, features, and content to all levels of membership, leaving enough reason for guests to keep lurking and join up, and so on. That's all the responsibility of everyone who is responsible for operating the site.

Edited by whiteknight

One thing I noticed over the last year (especially after Fly disappeared) is that C&G seemed to be late breaking when it came to news vs. GMI and even BON sometimes, and traditions like posting sales figures as soon as they were released kind of faded away for a time. I'm not criticizing because I know we all have lives, running a website is a large undertaking, and a lot of the news over the last year was downright depressing, but I'm hoping that with GM emerging from bankruptcy and the talk of new products will bring some of that activity back that we used to have.

As far as GMI, I'm glad C&G isn't as big as GMI. I remember when GMI was much smaller and more of a tight-knit community, but it has grown to the point where a lot of the posts seem to be about quantity instead of quality. I haven't browsed there much lately, but when I did a while back I felt like the level of discussion was a quite few notches below what we have here at C&G.

Apparently Josh thinks he matters.

Josh hasn't mattered since the day the consensus here said to shelve him.

And for the record, C&G's decline has more to do with fanbois and lunatics driving away people who had real info, not some dude who made $h! up about GM's future plans.

You'd love GMI then. When you visit there, you are offered the traditional GM Kool-Aid in two sizes, 32 oz. or large (the large requires a trailer in order to carry it), and in two styles, sugar-free and "jacked-the-f@#k-up."

For the most part, GMI'ers can't stand any criticism of GM. They always find some sorry excuse to use in GM's defense. That's something we can do: criticize and take the criticism.

Edited by whiteknight

Some on C&G can handle criticism of GM, others cant. Some can accept that GM is going through changes after years of self inflicted wounds, others take their ball and go home. There is a fine line between passionate and bat-$h! crazy, and that line gets crossed by a few on a regular basis around here, thats why we dont have the knowledgeable people we used to get, the small band of people with inside info have up and left because of the immaturity and douchebaggery displayed by a few posters.

It is a good question....

Though I've seen some changes here lately....

Were they good or bad?

Let us have a brainstorm on how to improve this website. Things were not same since Fly left (November 2007 to be exact), whole GM was in flux, elections did not help either. But now it is time to introspect and chime in. There is no other way than all the members especially the senior contributing members like you providing the vital input. Members made this site and members brought it down and it is time for members to bring it up again.

Under Olds, we are committed to make this website better and in some ways regain its aura of fun and informative place it was a few months ago and achieve greater heights.

From what I've seen as far as members leaving and then coming back. Most of the state that they either left for personal reasons, or from the negativity surrounding both GM and the fights and hostility that would go on between some members.

If you just join a site and see someone ripping apart other people for seemingly harmless things, would that make you want to stay? I think most of the fighting has calmed down, which is a good step.

Another key step is to get exclusive news more often. Thanks to Ted's sharp eye, we did manage to get some. We just need more of this sort of breaking news. How we get it, is a good question.

FWIW evok does still come and post from time to time.

As far as C&G goes, I what has always drawn me to this site is both the community and that interesting discussions go on. It's not all one-sided discussions and arguements, which is rare for any automotive fan site.

We have a long road ahead of us to bring the site up, but I think we've also made a lot of good first steps, and we have a dedicated leader. It just takes time, just like it will take time for GM to recover.

Usually, as soon as news is released by the major auto news sites besides Inside Lines, "Newfeeder" posts it into a news pool, and the Admins, Mods, and Editor/Reporters will place it into the approprate section of the forum. Also, staff and members tend to post news from C&D, MT, IL, and many other auto related news sources.

I think car enthusiasts browsing the internet are googling the latest automotive news. That is a way for us to get some new people lured in off the street so they can get to know us. Ted's Chevrolet Orlando scoop is an example, we need to post GM news as soon as it happens so we can be linked from the 'net. A tall order, I realize, unless someone can treat this site as their primary job.

I have to say, although Croc was increasingly bellicose before he left... I do agree with some of the points he was trying to make. I do miss Brian Dreggors' guidance around here, but looking to the past is not going to help us now. His "disappearance" is still a mystery to me. Keeping a level head when moderating is of vital importance, I will say, and that has not been the case consistently in recent times.

I felt censored during the elections, and even personally attacked. I feel that a cardinal rule of effective, enjoyable, even tolerable internet forum administration was broken when politics spread throughout C&G during that time. That is also in the past, thankfully, with the Politics and Social Issues section created for those discussions. I have not asked for entry into that forum once, which is good for my blood pressure, doubtless.

I've largely migrated to The Lounge lately because I am not as optimistic about GM as I used to be. So much of The Promise is gone, it is harder to look forward to the future of the company these days. The 2-year product plan is just not exciting. I hope I am proven wrong. It has become rarer for me to feel passionate enough about a GM news item to join in on the discussions. I hope this changes, as well.

As always, this is my home on the internet, and I will continue to tirelessly come here in the early a.m. and in the evenings when I am home. As for GM news, I don't look here first, I look to Autoblog, but as for discussions on a topic once it IS posted here, that is when I like to get involved. I rarely post on Autoblog, and the Autoweek and Motor Trend forums bore me. This place still has potential and the familiarity and community here is second to none for me. I can only hope that good decisions can be made by the team in charge on a consistent basis to grow the site and keep it relevant to people outside our core, active membership. We need some new, quality members who will ignite the kinds of discussions that will lure us old-timers back into the fray.

I agree, more exclusive, breaking news would be very helpful. Getting that content is the tricky bit.

We do have RSS Feeds to the major news sites, so as soon as news breaks there we post them in their respected forums. 98 has also been doing a stellar job since he came back.

We have plenty of work to do but I think we can do it, it just takes time, just like it will take GM time to recover.

There is a fine line between passionate and bat-$h! crazy, and that line gets crossed by a few on a regular basis around here, thats why we dont have the knowledgeable people we used to get, the small band of people with inside info have up and left because of the immaturity and douchebaggery displayed by a few posters.

Absolutely incorrect : in reality there is a WIDE gap between passionate and 'bat $h! crazy'; in fact it is primarily the snap judgement... the 'need' to categorize those comments/ posters who don't immediately agree with one's views into 'Jar A' or 'Jar B' by a select few that has driven a number of the more knowledgable away. Who comes to a discussion group looking to be informative, yet instead accepts being branded & categorized? The 'snap judges' cannot handle insider information counteracting their own preconceived (and widely-advertised) opinions.

That sort of belligerent judge-mentality is a core component of immaturity.

Those interested in the healthy continuance of this board recognize that respect, civility and freedom of speech should be the goal, and those that can only label or shout down others will do nothing to increase traffic, only decrease it.

Absolutely incorrect : in reality there is a WIDE gap between passionate and 'bat $h! crazy'; in fact it is primarily the snap judgement... the 'need' to categorize those comments/ posters who don't immediately agree with one's views into 'Jar A' or 'Jar B' by a select few that has driven a number of the more knowledgable away. Who comes to a discussion group looking to be informative, yet instead accepts being branded & categorized? The 'snap judges' cannot handle insider information counteracting their own preconceived (and widely-advertised) opinions.

That sort of belligerent judge-mentality is a core component of immaturity.

Those interested in the healthy continuance of this board recognize that respect, civility and freedom of speech should be the goal, and those that can only label or shout down others will do nothing to increase traffic, only decrease it.

:cheers:

How do the constant bitching that today's cars aren't the cars of the 50's and 60's and posts perpetually blaming the media and Toyota for the fact that GM has been generally inept for a couple of decades help increase traffic?

It helps about as much as 14 threads on [your mom]EXCITEMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/your mom] that insult MOST of the posters on this board. (Remember the survey that showed Pontiac was the leading brand of C&G readers?)

It's neither here nor there, because nothing is going to change.

I was merely that loud because people wanted me to be that loud.

*shrugs*

Hell, at one time I was getting so much 'fan mail' that Josh and Walt wanted to feature my 'rantings' on the front page. I never did it because I felt it was "too much" a lot of times.

I played to that (Still do... If it isn't obvious when I'm doing it by now, then I don't know what to say) and established a persona that was an exaggerated version of what I really am. Sure, I'm very passionate about GM and that shows, but the rest is sarcasm and a twisted sense of humor. (Notice I don't use that style on any other board)

Edited by FUTURE_OF_GM

Satty - >>"How do the constant bitching..."<<

It's no where NEAR "constant".

>>"that today's cars aren't the cars of the 50's and 60's"<<

No one has said this (if you bothered to read any of these posts), but calling out the lack of attention to detail (as naturally compared to cars that feature this build approach) & the rampant homogenization in many modern cars hopefully serves to influence future quality, individuality & ATD.

Gee, hasn't ignoring higher benchmarks what many here 'constantly bitch' GM has failed to do ?? :rolleyes:

>>"and posts perpetually blaming the media"<<

It's no where NEAR "perpetually", but if you cannot see the bias in media overall, you must never read any of it. Not necc a bad thing : you're actually not missing much... (except, of course; the basis to defend it).

Regardless; open discussion on issues promotes participation.

I think car enthusiasts browsing the internet are googling the latest automotive news. That is a way for us to get some new people lured in off the street so they can get to know us. Ted's Chevrolet Orlando scoop is an example, we need to post GM news as soon as it happens so we can be linked from the 'net. A tall order, I realize, unless someone can treat this site as their primary job.

I have to say, although Croc was increasingly bellicose before he left... I do agree with some of the points he was trying to make. I do miss Brian Dreggors' guidance around here, but looking to the past is not going to help us now. His "disappearance" is still a mystery to me. Keeping a level head when moderating is of vital importance, I will say, and that has not been the case consistently in recent times.

I felt censored during the elections, and even personally attacked. I feel that a cardinal rule of effective, enjoyable, even tolerable internet forum administration was broken when politics spread throughout C&G during that time. That is also in the past, thankfully, with the Politics and Social Issues section created for those discussions. I have not asked for entry into that forum once, which is good for my blood pressure, doubtless.

I've largely migrated to The Lounge lately because I am not as optimistic about GM as I used to be. So much of The Promise is gone, it is harder to look forward to the future of the company these days. The 2-year product plan is just not exciting. I hope I am proven wrong. It has become rarer for me to feel passionate enough about a GM news item to join in on the discussions. I hope this changes, as well.

As always, this is my home on the internet, and I will continue to tirelessly come here in the early a.m. and in the evenings when I am home. As for GM news, I don't look here first, I look to Autoblog, but as for discussions on a topic once it IS posted here, that is when I like to get involved. I rarely post on Autoblog, and the Autoweek and Motor Trend forums bore me. This place still has potential and the familiarity and community here is second to none for me. I can only hope that good decisions can be made by the team in charge on a consistent basis to grow the site and keep it relevant to people outside our core, active membership. We need some new, quality members who will ignite the kinds of discussions that will lure us old-timers back into the fray.

Some very good points, ocn. :thumbsup:

Were they good or bad?

Let us have a brainstorm on how to improve this website. Things were not same since Fly left (November 2007 to be exact), whole GM was in flux, elections did not help either. But now it is time to introspect and chime in. There is no other way than all the members especially the senior contributing members like you providing the vital input. Members made this site and members brought it down and it is time for members to bring it up again.

Under Olds, we are committed to make this website better and in some ways regain its aura of fun and informative place it was a few months ago and achieve greater heights.

So far, mostly good.

I see the "goofiness" coming back too....we need a good laugh now and then....

And I'm willing to do what it takes to help make things better here... :thumbsup:

I wasn't going to post anything in this thread beyond my earlier "No Comment", but I had to say that this is a great post, Ocn.

Brainless ideas I have that you can hate:

C and G drives of GM cars on a regular basis, letting us have a really good review of the good, bad, and ugly of the current GM lineup.

A pic section that had pics of both GM heritage and GM current vehicles.

A section devoted to non automotive GM stuff like EMD, etc.

C and G get togethers (sorry I missed you guys in Michigan!) to help us all pull together.

Wrenching get togethers (VW TDI club does this, works great). Pic a few projects, fire up the BBQ, or make chilli, and have a wrenching party.

Local get togethers for GM fans. I am one of the few people I know in Columbus, Ohio that likes anything GM built past 1972, and I am NOT kidding. The VW TDI club has a get together every third Friday at a local pizza joint. We could do the same thing...get a Pittsburg group, a Columbus Group, a Detroit group, a Philly group, a New Jersey group, etc. Even if it was only quarterly or bimonthly I think it would be great.

More actual real technical articles, not just which windshield washer fluid or wax should I use.

Historical articles about GM heritage vehicles with lots of pics. I had almost lost the B-59 off of my radar when I came here...how many cool vehicles has GM built?

Glad I'm volunteering you guys for all this work...seriously...if I can do anything, let me know.

Chris

Oh, and adding an issue-the personal attacks of PCS need to stop. :confused0071:

Regardless of what you think of him, he does offer some great insight...

And maybe it's just me, but I enjoy his "quirky-ness"....

Yeah, okay, it's not like he hasn't attacked me or anyone else around here.

Regardless of whatever positive contributions PCS has made here at C&G, people need to quit treating him like "the golden child."

And this wasn't intended as a personal attack, it's just something that's begun to work its way under my skin.

C and G drives of GM cars on a regular basis, letting us have a really good review of the good, bad, and ugly of the current GM lineup.

C and G get togethers (sorry I missed you guys in Michigan!) to help us all pull together.

Wrenching get togethers (VW TDI club does this, works great). Pic a few projects, fire up the BBQ, or make chilli, and have a wrenching party.

Local get togethers for GM fans. I am one of the few people I know in Columbus, Ohio that likes anything GM built past 1972, and I am NOT kidding. The VW TDI club has a get together every third Friday at a local pizza joint. We could do the same thing...get a Pittsburg group, a Columbus Group, a Detroit group, a Philly group, a New Jersey group, etc. Even if it was only quarterly or bimonthly I think it would be great.

More actual real technical articles, not just which windshield washer fluid or wax should I use.

Historical articles about GM heritage vehicles with lots of pics. I had almost lost the B-59 off of my radar when I came here...how many cool vehicles has GM built?

Glad I'm volunteering you guys for all this work...seriously...if I can do anything, let me know.

Chris

Great ideas. Here's another idea...we could have a section for GM future developments or platforms that could be updated on a regular basis. Sometimes it's hard to keep track of what car is going on what platform, when it will be on sale, etc.

Edit: I just realized we have a link to a page TED has compiled with all GM products sorted by vehicle code, but it would be nice to see it laid out in a more visual format with data in tables for each vehicle or platform (however it is easiest to organize), images, and maybe even our own C&G rendered speculation. Sort of like our own GM product wiki page. The challenge would be to collect all the data, compile it into an organized fashion, and keep it updated on a regular basis. GMI has its own future product guide, but I think we could improve upon what they have done.

Chris

Sounds good...

Yeah, okay, it's not like he hasn't attacked me or anyone else around here.

Regardless of whatever positive contributions PCS has made here at C&G, people need to quit treating him like "the golden child."

And this wasn't intended as a personal attack, it's just something that's begun to work its way under my skin.

Well, I think we can work something out. :cheers:

I wouldn't call him the "golden child" either. Remember he's not the only GM insider here.... :AH-HA_wink:

And nobody kisses my butt.... :P:D

I just feel the need to single this out. While I would love to spend my days test driving cars, unless GM decides to start providing us with cars to drive it would cost quite a chunk of change to go rent cars and test drive them regularly. Otherwise it will be like it is now. People will review cars they happen to rent or test drive should they be so inclined.

There are indeed some very good ideas, but some realism is required here, both in terms of cost, resources and general feasibility.

I like the idea of a heritage section, since older cars are not my forte and I would like to know more about all of the various models.

I also like the idea of a section for meets, though I wonder just how many people there are in each region. On that note, it might be cool to have one of those threads where you can pin yourself on the map sort of thing.

Ideas are always welcome even if we can't do them all. :)

--

One last thing. If you don't like a member, ignore them. There's no need to drag it through various threads.

I also like the idea of a section for meets, though I wonder just how many people there are in each region. On that note, it might be cool to have one of those threads where you can pin yourself on the map sort of thing.

I thought C&G had a Frappr.

And like DF said, C&G drives on a regular case would be great, but we're more or less limited to writing about rental cars, and while it would be really funny to see people try and beat others using hyperbole in describing a rental Grand Prix's suckiness, it wouldn't be too awesome either. :P

Edited by TheCaptain