Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NINETY EIGHT REGENCY

Choose your 1987 GM G-Body

25 posts in this topic

I found these two videos. Choose your 1987 GM G-Body from the videos below:

1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass 442:

1987 Buick Regal Grand National:

I've always liked the Cutlass 442, but the GN was kind of in a league of its own, so I'd pick the GN (GNX specifically).

Can't I just have one of each (Monte SS Aerocoupe, 442, GN GNX, GP 2+2)?

I've never owned a Buick. I've never had any desire to outside of the Grand National and its related siblings. And as much as I like the Cutlass of that era, it doesn't really come close to the classic 1968-1972 Cutlass. So if I had to choose between just those two G-Bodies, I'd go with the Grand National.

I choose Oldsmobile. Everybody knows about the great Buick GN, but few know Olds made a last-hurrah RWD V8 442 in 1987. Yes, the Olds is slower, no doubt, but still sweet.

I'd like the Regal T-Type....same drivetrain as the GN, but more color choices and chrome trim. Or the 442.

Beauty contest winners:

1973-1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and derivatives

1978-1980 Buick Regal, and derivatives (the chunky taillamps on the Cutlass let the Regal move to the front of the line)

1981-1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and derivatives

Edited by trinacriabob

Beauty contest winners:

1973-1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and derivatives

1978-1980 Buick Regal, and derivatives (the chunky taillamps on the Cutlass let the Regal move to the front of the line)

1981-1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, and derivatives

Sorry, this has them all beat. :smilewide:

jmwolfe4.gif

GN, for sure.

Same here... I love the Darth Vader black treatment... sinister.

The Olds 442 is nice, but the GN is so much more capable.

If this was a question of basic Cutlass Supreme vs Regal, I'd take the Olds.

Funny that 20 years later, 245 and 276hp don't sound so high. Of course, GM hasn't had many platforms available since to duplicate the GN/GNX... and if they tried, it would weigh 4500 lbs.

Of course, GM hasn't had many platforms available since to duplicate the GN/GNX... and if they tried, it would weigh 4500 lbs.

That's what I found slightly shocking about the Monte. It's bigger than my old Firebird and has a much more usable backseat, but weighs in about the same (the Firebird was about 3400 pounds and the Monte is about 3300). The Firebird used lightweight materials too.

Of the two choices, I'd go with the '87 Olds 442 - I love those cars!! Not saying that the '87 GN isn't worth it, but everybody that likes '80s muscle all want a GN (my import lovin' step son, who wants a Scion Tc as his first car in 2 years, always says that his first muscle car <as he calls all high horsepowered cars> will be a Buick GN).

Now I've had the distinct pleasure of driving all four of GM's G-bodies: my mom's '83 Pontiac Grand Prix LJ, my cousin's '84 Buick Regal Limited, my aunt's friends '86 Monte Carlo LS, and my cousin's ex-husbands '84 Hurst/Olds (only one with t-tops). While I love the Olds and tried several times to buy one (I came very close with an '85 Cutlass Supreme), it's the Pontiac Grand Prix G-Body that I most desire to own (and most will recall my post about the '87 GP LE I found locally and attempted to purchase back in March). One day...

Love GN's but I'd take the Cutty. The updated front end and IMO a better dash make the choice for me, however I'd rather the GN's seats and all black paint.

Edited by Delta Force79

The Oldsmobile 442.

I'd like the Regal T-Type....same drivetrain as the GN, but more color choices and chrome trim. Or the 442.

yes, and it's lighter than the GN...?

Sorry, this has them all beat. :smilewide:

jmwolfe4.gif

my family's got my dad's in the garage...not a 442, but prolly more rare.

Oh, GN all day long...I love that car and would take one or the T-type over it's siblings. Just a sweet looking car with the driveline to match.

Had to make this choice for real back in '87, chose the El Camino SS. :smilewide:

An '87 Regal T-type turbo would be nice though...

There were 5 new '86-87 G bodies in my senior class in high school, IIRC. A maroon Monte SS, a white Monte SS, a gold Cutlass Supreme, a silver Regal T-Type, and a black Grand National. Probably 1/2 dozen or so '81-85 models as well. Alas, the GN didn't make it until graduation---a couple weeks before graduation, the kid with it DUI rolled it on a power line.

Rob

I choose Oldsmobile. Everybody knows about the great Buick GN, but few know Olds made a last-hurrah RWD V8 442 in 1987. Yes, the Olds is slower, no doubt, but still sweet.

Good, that leaves a Grand National for me.

Saw a perfect 87 442 today, sweet. Saw a perfect GN Saturday...sweeter...

Chris

Another G I've always liked is the Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 with it's outrageous rear window and tiny decklid. Haven't seen one in years.

Another G I've always liked is the Pontiac Grand Prix 2+2 with it's outrageous rear window and tiny decklid. Haven't seen one in years.

Saw one two weeks ago. We have two different ones cruisng around Columbus here, both silver.

IIRC one has a maroon interior and one has a charcoal interior, but I could be wrong it's been awhile since I've seen either up close.

Chris

Saw one two weeks ago. We have two different ones cruisng around Columbus here, both silver.

IIRC one has a maroon interior and one has a charcoal interior, but I could be wrong it's been awhile since I've seen either up close.

Chris

IIRC, silver was the only exterior color they were offered in...never seen one in another color. They would great with a '70s Trans Am style shaker hood scoop in black or bright red, IMHO...

Rob

Saw one in black but it was a modified car so it may have been repainted.

I miss Pontiac RWD 2 door cars. The 73-77 GP's were neat cars also.

Chris

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0