NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: REPORT: VW CEO confirms Phaeton will return to America, doesn't say when

15 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Plants/Manufacturing, Volkswagen, Luxury

vw-phaeton-refresh-630-lead.jpg
Volkswagen Phaeton - Click above for high-res image gallery

At least as far back as March 2007, we were reporting that Volkswagen might bring back their range-topping and bank-draining Phaeton sedan to the States. Back then, it was the company's CEO Martin Winterkorn predicting the car's return to America, but in more recent times, we haven't heard much news about the luxury liner. Then spyshots of a re-designed 2011 Phaeton emerged in June of this year, but we speculated there was zero chance of the much-maligned model being sold here.

Of course, Stefan Jacoby, president and CEO of Volkswagen of America had to prove us wrong by telling The Detroit News that yes, there will again be Phaetons sold on American VW dealers' lots. He doesn't get specific about when the luxury sedan will return (or even if it will be anything like the model American consumers already shunned), but he does say it will indeed be the range's high-end flagship once again.

Jacoby also lays out the brand's U.S. strategy to pretty much have something to offer in every category save perhaps amphibious vehicles. He admits additions to the German carmaker's U.S. lineup could include a Polo-sized car below the Jetta, a compact SUV to be produced next to a new midsize sedan in Chattanooga, which will be topped by another new midsize sedan "like the Avalon for Toyota."

[source: The Detroit News]

REPORT: VW CEO confirms Phaeton will return to America, doesn't say when originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 17 Aug 2009 10:31:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Read | Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=3KqcuXv05UQ:qCVN1FEEyNg:wF9xT autoblog?i=3KqcuXv05UQ:qCVN1FEEyNg:V_sGL
3KqcuXv05UQ

View the full article

This is surprising considering how badly the last one tanked. Though it was an excellent car, better than its German rivals of the time, are people really going to want to buy a $90,000 car next to some college kid buying a Jetta?

I have to say that I find this to be one of the most handsome large sedans on the market, yet I still wonder why they would bother with it here.

Hopefully, this time they will offer it in SWB form with V6 TDI for less-than-S-class money. $50K? I can see the XTS competing in this category - not quite $80K super-sedan, but larger than an E-segment sports sedan.

In the UK...

Phaeton V6 SWB: £44,165

750i: £65,885

S500 LWB (S550): £70,710

Edited by pow

The best engineered luxury sedan in the market. Its failure in America typifies brand snobbery of our society.

booooooo... a misguided effort on VW's part. Volkswagen, The People's Car, needs to return to its roots. The Phaeton has been a waste of resources.

Looks too much like a Passat, and you might as well just buy an A8. They have to differentiate the Phaeton somehow if they want it to sell.

Looks too much like a Passat, and you might as well just buy an A8. They have to differentiate the Phaeton somehow if they want it to sell.

Remember, the current Passat took many design cues from the Phaeton... hence the resemblance.

I think that if they can make the Phaeton less ambitious (in other words, not a steel-framed A8), VW could have a true flagship on their hands... and diesel-powered to boot.

Edited by Lamar

I'll admit, I was a big Phaeton fan when it first came out. I thought it was beautiful and was upset it wasn't taken seriously (although I understand why). Now, looking at the freshened on pictured above, I'm just not digging it. Hopefully when the Phaeton comes here it'll be a new, fresh, edgy design. VW isn't bad with interiors, so I'm confident they can pull that part off.

I have to say that I find this to be one of the most handsome large sedans on the market, yet I still wonder why they would bother with it here.

I have to wonder why VW wants to bother with a NG Phaeton at all.

The Phaeton was a good car, yes, but completely wrong for VW. As ocn said, it is a misguided waste of resources. That money should go to ironing out VW's notorious quality control issues and developing the other bread-n-butter models, like the Passat and Golf.

VWOA needed to crack down on dealership service departments 20 years ago. A person can be retained if they have an occasional problem with their car... if the car is fixed cheerfully and correctly the first time.

I have to wonder why VW wants to bother with a NG Phaeton at all.

The Phaeton was a good car, yes, but completely wrong for VW. As ocn said, it is a misguided waste of resources. That money should go to ironing out VW's notorious quality control issues and developing the other bread-n-butter models, like the Passat and Golf.

I actually saw a bunch of them when I was in Germany. They aren't as uncommon over there. They're probably building them for the Europeans but making it NA spec as well just to they can sell a few of them over here.... well.. just because.

just so the guy who buys a 2011 phaeton can look at the 2001 and go, 'they don't look any different, now, do they?'

just so the guy who buys a 2011 phaeton can look at the 2001 and go, 'they don't look any different, now, do they?'

You... do realize that no one's seen an '11 yet, right?

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead