Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NewsFeeder

AutoBlog: Quick Spin: Hyundai Equus is a high horse looking for its Praetorian Guard

29 posts in this topic

Filed under: Sedan, Hyundai, First Drive, South Korea

equus_ride---01_opt.jpg
Hyundai Equus - Click above for high-res image gallery

The Hyundai Equus is doing its homework on the American market before it arrives in the fourth quarter of 2010. We took a ride in the upscale sedan during the Pebble Beach weekend in Monterey, and from our brief time aboard, we guess that, if it's priced right, it will do just as well as its only-slightly-less luxurious kin, the Genesis.

Photos copyright ©2009 Jonathon Ramsey / Weblogs, Inc.

Continue reading Quick Spin: Hyundai Equus is a high horse looking for its Praetorian Guard

Quick Spin: Hyundai Equus is a high horse looking for its Praetorian Guard originally appeared on Autoblog on Mon, 17 Aug 2009 11:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments

di
di

autoblog?i=i5aUuZzdWss:ESxiKhKUD_Y:wF9xT autoblog?i=i5aUuZzdWss:ESxiKhKUD_Y:V_sGL
i5aUuZzdWss

View the full article

The fact that GM has the Zeta platform and can't supply Cadillac with something like this makes no sense.

The fact that GM has the Zeta platform and can't supply Cadillac with something like this makes no sense.

+1. That is absolutely asinine.

The bean counters can't justify it...Epsy Dos is probably cheaper to build on because it's just a generic FWD platform.

The bean counters can't justify it...Epsy Dos is probably cheaper to build on because it's just a generic FWD platform.

Huh I thought the new one is based on an enlarged Genesis platform

Huh I thought the new one is based on an enlarged Genesis platform

I was talking about the Caddy XTS wrt Bimmer325's post. Yes, the new Equus is based on an enlarged Genesis platform.

Rob

Why do I get this really weird feeling that if GM were to build this same exact vehicle, people would still complain about it. If GM manufactured this, people would complain it's way too inexpensive compared to the competition, chastised for the relatively mundane styling, or that it's simply not good enough to go toe-to-toe with the Germans in the first place.

You know, the interior although nice is nothing to write home about. It's very generic in terms of layout and style.

And I've noticed that the more expensive the Hyundai, the less you see that word or emblem on the car. I can't find a single slanted "H" on this one, nor the word "Hyundai". Maybe they're ashamed ;)

I just about puked a little when I saw that front 3/4 view. This thing is hideous all around. It's like Hyundai took a Lexus LS and made it even more ugly. I almost can't get over how ugly it is.

Why do I get this really weird feeling that if GM were to build this same exact vehicle, people would still complain about it. If GM manufactured this, people would complain it's way too inexpensive compared to the competition, chastised for the relatively mundane styling, or that it's simply not good enough to go toe-to-toe with the Germans in the first place.

right.

you see the interior on this thing? pure cheese. look at those cheap center stack controls. this is not real luxury design.

exterior is not far off the bland lexus LS although i must admit the Lexus are put together very well. i don't see hyundai matching that level of craft.

the interior pictures of this rig are ghastly.

They aren't really competing with BMW and Benz, this car will be under $60,000. They will compete with the base model Lexus LS460, and somewhat with the higher end MKS and XTS. Sales volume isn't the purpose of this car, it is image and marketing. Before the Genesis came out I said it would help them sell more Sonatas, and Hyundai has done pretty well over the past year. The Equus will boost Hyundai's image and make it easier to sell their mid to lower end cars.

So instead of trying, GM just decides they will make the car on epsilon 2 instead. Sorry, I'm not going to praise GM vehicles just because they are GM vehicles anymore.

All I ever see is excuses why GM can't do something right. They have no money, it's a stopgap, Epsilon is cheaper, the consumers will never know the difference. Everything GM has made in the past 15 years has been a stopgap product. When is the final product going to be done?

And Cadillac's image can't support a higher priced RWD car, so they give up and make a cheaper FWD/AWD car. Yet Hyundai will be making a $60,000 RWD car. Hyundai. You remember Hyundai, the company that built the Excel. How will GM ever fix Cadillac's image if it's afraid to aim for the top?

Edited by CaddyXLR-V

CTS, GMT-900's, Malibu, G8 and Lacrosse are perfect examples of if GM does something really right, it is hard to find fault in the vehicle. I think we should not be worried about "soft" aspect which the rags will complain about.

This type of vehicle would be nice as a Buick flagship IMO. Cadillac should be aimed higher.

hyundai is right now trying to gain recognition for the genesis sedan in a vastly overcrowded & hugely-shrinking segment- bringing a slightly longer version of the same platform, in an equally-generic sedan with yet another brand-new name is ONLY going to result in internal competition / cannibalization between genesis ><equus. Wrong brand, horrible name, wrong time.

If this were a Buick you'd all be jerking off to it.

They aren't really competing with BMW and Benz, this car will be under $60,000. They will compete with the base model Lexus LS460, and somewhat with the higher end MKS and XTS. Sales volume isn't the purpose of this car, it is image and marketing. Before the Genesis came out I said it would help them sell more Sonatas, and Hyundai has done pretty well over the past year. The Equus will boost Hyundai's image and make it easier to sell their mid to lower end cars.

The same way the Phaeton did for Volkswagen right?

the chinese park avenue would be a great match for this. flip side, if holden caprice was sent here with chevy badges on it, it would perform like the genesis for 10k less. Why GM does not think that way in this regard blows the mind.

If this were a Buick you'd all be jerking off to it.

Not at all true... it's nice, but it's not edgy enough. Especially for the targets it's aimed at. As I stated before, the interior is very generic and plain.

On second look, the car looks decent (but boring) all around, except for the front. The face looks busy/tacky IMO.

The same way the Phaeton did for Volkswagen right?

VW is trying again though. If they took the GM strategy, they would make the car FWD, give it a weaker engine, and cut the price by 25%.

Buicks look rather generic also, especially the Lucerne, and the Equus has a similar sweepsphere thing that the LaCrosse has. Most big luxury sedans (Phaeton, A8, LS460) look somewhat plain, because they go for a simple, elegant look, rather than bold in-your-face styling.

This won't cannibalize Genesis sales, it will cost about $20,000 more, and is 8 inches longer.

The Phaeton was a sales failure because an Audi A6 V8 was cheaper and an Audi A8 wasn't much more expensive, so why buy a VW when there is Audi.

Hyundai won't give up after 1 generation of this car. Generation 2 could get closer to Lexus in price, and the Equus allows them to downsize the Genesis sedan a little and make it sportier, or keep to tuned toward luxury if Lincoln, Cadillac and Lexus sales keep dropping. Hyundai posted a solid profit last year, they can afford to take the risk and wait 10 years for it to pay off. Hyundai/Kia just passed Ford for 4th largest automaker in the world, by 2020, maybe they'll have a luxury brand that the Genesis and Equus sell under.

"smk4565 - >>"Sales volume isn't the purpose of this car, it is image and marketing."<<

Fascinating : every. single. post. by you on Cadillac concentrates on sales numbers, esp vs. BMW. Cadillac cannot build for reputation & image, only gross numbers, yet bottom-feeder hyundai can... yet AT THE SAME TIME we have to bow down to their passing Ford for #4 ????

>>"Before the Genesis came out I said it would help them sell more Sonatas"<<

hyundia has actively pursued recent vacancies in the fleet market - the sonata is the new poster car for rentals.

>>"This won't cannibalize Genesis sales, it will cost about $20,000 more, and is 8 inches longer."<<

Unfortunately, it's the same platform, in the same showroom, and it's going to steal whatever little attention the genesis was building as the new 'lux hyundai'- so it unquestionably will. There's only so many people wandering into a hyundai dealer with deep pockets.

>>"The Phaeton was a sales failure because an Audi A6 V8 was cheaper"<<

You've GOT to be kidding even mentioning the A6 ($40K) in the same sentence as the phaeton ($95K)- A6 first of all sells pretty poorly in it's segment, and the 2 didn't even know the other existed. You seems to be implying the A6 / A8 cannabalized the phaeton.... :rolleyes: Plus, the VW was 10" longer than the A6! :morethan4"difference=impossibletheycouldcompete!:

Edited by balthazar